New App replaced UVO app - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

New App replaced UVO app

Just got a notice that the Kia Access app replaces the Uvo eco app. I'm guessing it replaces the regular Uvo app too. Not seeing much of a difference in what it does, although the layout is nicer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Just got a notice that the Kia Access app replaces the Uvo eco app. I'm guessing it replaces the regular Uvo app too. Not seeing much of a difference in what it does, although the layout is nicer.
I have both on my phone, and I agree they seem to have identical functionality. I just wish it didn't take so long to sync with the car. And why doesn't it automatically refresh when the app first loads? Seems silly to load the app, then have to hit refresh to actually see current information. 45 seconds to refresh is annoyingly slow. Plus, after the refresh the app says my car is home in my garage. No, it's in my work parking lot 17 miles away. I have to refresh the location separately to get it accurate.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I have both on my phone, and I agree they seem to have identical functionality. I just wish it didn't take so long to sync with the car. And why doesn't it automatically refresh when the app first loads? Seems silly to load the app, then have to hit refresh to actually see current information. 45 seconds to refresh is annoyingly slow. Plus, after the refresh the app says my car is home in my garage. No, it's in my work parking lot 17 miles away. I have to refresh the location separately to get it accurate.
Hi Niro riders

That's funny, because I came to the same conclusions:
- still slow to refresh when you click on "Sync"
- one thing I realized is that even if sync shows "2 days ago" the battery level seems to be the accurate, like if the car 'pushes' the data on start and stop of the car itself and the app does not reflect this update's time and date.
- car sit at home before a "second" refresh to get its real location which should have been actualized on the first "Sync"
- nothing really new from UVO Eco app
- still missing the most important, the MPG per trips

And by the way, congrats act98092 for your new moderator's level up
Christophe.
atc98092 and mythisme like this.

Kia Niro PHEV 2019 Gravity Blue.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
Really wish the app was more interactive and quicker. The time it takes, one can simply go to the car.

Is there a range limit on the UVO/Kia app?

BTW, My car is currently parked in a basement parking lot with no cellular signal. But the UVO can still connect to it. It's less than 100m (328') from where my desk is. That seems pretty good!

Love my new De-Niro PHEV
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythisme View Post
Really wish the app was more interactive and quicker. The time it takes, one can simply go to the car.

BTW, My car is currently parked in a basement parking lot with no cellular signal. But the UVO can still connect to it. It's less than 100m (328') from where my desk is. That seems pretty good!
I think the delay is due to the fact that the car relies on a cellular modem for comms. I'm not sure of the details but I assume that when you request an update on the status the app pushes a notification (likely via SMS) to the car (either directly or via the Kia UVO servers) and then has to wait for a reply. If the car is in a spot with limited signal that can take a while. Plus, I'm not sure if the modem in the car is on all the time or if it only wakes periodically to check for new data. Either or both would help explain the long wait. The good thing is that SMS communications can work even with very limited signal strength (as evidenced by the fact that it usually works even in areas with poor coverage like garages). Also, I assume that the modem in the car has a better antenna than the one in your mobile phone. The car's modem is not nearly as space constrained as the one in your hand.

The fact that the system is cellular based means that the only range limit is based on cell coverage wherever the car is located.
padonion likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

It's using a cellular connection, so whatever carrier they use appears to have a signal where you are parked. The app doesn't connect to the car directly, it connects to the Kia server and the server connects to the car via cellular.
charlesH and padonion like this.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Just keep in mind that our Canadian UVO is not the same then the owners in the USA. 2 different system, 2 different app. Had mine since december 2018, and at first, they had to give me a "normal car" UVO because Kia Canada was not ready for the EV's config in the app. I just got mine updated with the charge and others EV options.

Quote:
You could be in China and unlock the doors of your car in your driveway.
padonion likes this.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

Last edited by lafe005; 05-31-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
It's using a cellular connection, so whatever carrier they use appears to have a signal where you are parked. The app doesn't connect to the car directly, it connects to the Kia server and the server connects to the car via cellular.
To be more specific, In Canada, all 2019 PHEV uses a G2 cell connection and EV's a LTE connection. (a little bit faster). But i dont know about the USA versions!?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
To be more specific, In Canada, all 2019 PHEV uses a G2 cell connection and EV's a LTE connection. (a little bit faster). But i dont know about the USA versions!?
My radio head unit has an LTE icon in the top bar, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my cell phone connection. So it appears the PHEV is also using an LTE connection. I just have no idea whose network they use: AT&T, Verizon, or some other.
padonion likes this.

Dan

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
As far as I can see on the top right of the media screen, it is using LTE in USA for the PHEV 2019 model.

Kia Niro PHEV 2019 Gravity Blue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page