Battery charge - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Battery charge

My 2017 Kia battery never shows over 1 bar above the half mark as charged. Should it ever read 100%?

Thanks................ Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 PM

I had it up to 100% indicated only once after a long steep downhill at 25 mph on cruise control. Otherwise in 20,000 miles, I've never seen it that high. The other circumstance where it seems to charge high (over 3/4) is when it is raining. High load on the car, but not really a need for added battery torque like going up a hill. So the engine stays on for a longer period, the engine is charging, but no battery juice is added. When not raining, the exact same terrain will put the car in EV, which keeps the battery about half full.

There isn't any particular benefit in having the battery charged to 100% indicated. In fact, battery life will be highest with the exact same algorithm that the engineers used - keep it at about half full.
charlesH likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

The battery management sysem on the Hybrid tries to hold the battery around the 50% mark. I am going to take it that you don't live in a cold climate, as the engine has to run to get heat inside the car. This will tend to charge the battery much higher as the power from the running engine will regenerative charge the battery pack with the excess power not going to the wheels. Likely you have missed the bar getting much above the 1/2 way mark but I will speculate that it does happen.
lafe005 likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Garage
The Niro Battery Management Software (BMS) is designed to allow for movement from 40%-60% State of Charge (SOC) only for 17-19 HEV Niros during normal driving. In spirited driving, or at high speed, you may see greater range of movement. You should avoid extended, high speed driving at speeds over 80 MPH because you may over discharge the battery.
lafe005 likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 PM

The BMS is not going to allow you to discharge the battery so far that it will damage it. Nor overcharge it for that matter - regen turns off at that point. The dash display does not show the capacity reserve at the top or bottom.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The BMS is not going to allow you to discharge the battery so far that it will damage it. Nor overcharge it for that matter - regen turns off at that point. The dash display does not show the capacity reserve at the top or bottom.
The SA360 service action was done because a small subset of Niro drivers on long road trips, at high speeds, 85+mph for more that 5 hours continuously, were able to overdischarge the battery. The ECU Freeze Frame and BMS were updated to be more active and prevent that from occurring.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post

Can verify that it won't let you overcharge it. In the rare (or not rare, in the case of the plug-in models) event that the battery actually reaches full charge, regen braking gets replaced with engine braking. When you moderately use the brakes with a full battery charge, you'll actually hear/feel the ICE turn on and get used for slowing the car down, instead of the electric motor (regen). So it's impossible to overcharge it.

Likewise, it's impossible to drain it completely. Once the battery drops below a certain level (20% or so), the car stops using the electric motor altogether until it regains enough charge to start using it again. This even applies to when you mash the gas pedal when your battery is at or below 20%, you'll notice the acceleration at full-throttle suffers significantly because the car will only be using the gas engine at that point. This is something that's actually happened to me a lot, on long highway drives up into the mountains, the car loses a significant amount of its ability to accelerate once the battery is low.

2018 PHEV
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Limp mode, when you run out of gas and are now just using battery power at a reduced speed, can apparently get you into dangerous territory. Every time I get low on gas, a warning pops up saying I am risking battery damage if I don't fill up. My suspicion is that a single deep discharge may not damage your battery, but of course it is not good to drop to zero or up to 100% for long life. The more it happens, the lower the battery life. The hidden capacity at the top and bottom will obscure this from the owner for a very long time.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Can verify that it won't let you overcharge it. In the rare (or not rare, in the case of the plug-in models) event that the battery actually reaches full charge, regen braking gets replaced with engine braking. When you moderately use the brakes with a full battery charge, you'll actually hear/feel the ICE turn on and get used for slowing the car down, instead of the electric motor (regen). So it's impossible to overcharge it.
I was wondering why my engine was firing up when leaving home and immediately going down hill with brakes on all the way down. However, this morning I disabled the HVAC before I pulled out of the garage, and the engine never fired up going down the same hill. I could believe the engine braking reason, as the engine would rev quite high, but unless this morning was an anomaly and tomorrow it starts (I'll do the same with the HVAC tomorrow), I'll have to say that it doesn't appear to be accurate.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 PM

What do you mean by having brakes on all the way down? The disk brakes? Or regen? What is the charge indicator doing? What is the displayed SOC?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page