Weird insurance question - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Weird insurance question

So I purchased a new EX with Adv. Tech last night. Called this morning to get the insurance sorted. The agent is saying to replace one of my 2 other vehicles, just the Niro itself would be $63/month. Then she says "Don't ask me to explain it", by adding it as a third car with the same exact coverage it goes up to $96/month. I don't understand why adding a 3rd car vs replacing one of the 2 I already have would make the Niro shoot up 50% a month. I've only ever had my multi-car discount get bigger with more cars, not less. Anyone know why? I need to keep all three, so it's a weird surprise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Who are you with? We switched to Travelers a few years ago and haven't looked back. They have hybrid/EV discounts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Of course every insurance company is different. But when I replaced my 2018 Outback with my Niro, my annual amount went up less than $100. However, I must mention the insurance company I use is the absolute lowest cost and best company that offers coverage in Washington state. No other company can touch their rates, with excellent coverage and the few times I've needed to use my coverage they are great to deal with.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Is the strange increase specific to the Niro or just because itís a third car? Perhaps you have some discount that only applies to a second car but not for a third car?

My insurance has a multi car discount but Iíve never had more than 2 cars at a time.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
Is the strange increase specific to the Niro or just because itís a third car? Perhaps you have some discount that only applies to a second car but not for a third car?

My insurance has a multi car discount but Iíve never had more than 2 cars at a time.
Every state differs, but I have three cars on my policy, and the multi-car discount applies to all of them. But yeah it does seen strange. Unless his multi-car discount increases with additional vehicles.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

State Farm. And yeah, the discount seems to lessen with additional cars. The agent has been off in the past though, I'll see when the actual bill comes in.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
when i got my HEV in May 2018, paid 98$ less than my Kia Rio5 2013, and when i got my PHEV last december, got a 40$ less charge there too.! 138$ less in a year.! will see it next year if it goes up too.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page