Niro PHEV - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmurphEV

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Niro PHEV

Hi when the charge drops or you want to does the PHEV work like a normal self charging hybrid? What MPG do you get in City Centres?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
Hi when the charge drops or you want to does the PHEV work like a normal self charging hybrid? What MPG do you get in City Centres?
Yep, once you deplete the battery or hit the button to force HEV mode the car behaves just like the regular hybrid Niro.

In regular HEV mode I get ~45mpg on the highway during longer trips. In town you'd expect a bit better due to the lower speeds and regenerative braking. Figuring the actual MPG on the PHEV is tough since you can't easily separate EV and HEV miles.
TheSilverFlash likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:34 PM

I drove mine from Louisville, KY, to Knoxville, TN, to Asheville, NC, and back to Knoxville, TN over the course of a week. I charged when I could. I'm at 62 mpg on the original tank of gas and I have 93 miles left in the tank.

I've seen others report mpg's in the 100's when they're driving primarily in EV mode for most of the week.

Your mileage will vary depending on how often you can charge.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'm currently at 220 MPG and still have 2/3 a tank left at 1100 miles. Mostly EV driving, but obviously not completely. I topped the gas tank May 19, about a week after I bought it. Not even close to needing to fill it. The Fuelly MPG shown below (84 MPG) included two 100 mile round trips shortly after I bought the car, so it's fairly representative of a limited amount of EV driving. Naturally the next time I fill up the average will take a big jump. Like jMurph says, it's tough to separate EV and HEV mileage when you're dealing with a PHEV. Any estimates you see from something like Fuelly you just have to consider as what is possible with the car, not necessarily what it will do with your driving and charging style.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by atc98092; 06-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. My driving will be mainly in city centres - Uber in UK. It will be fully charged and probably top up during my shift but other then that will be hybrid mode. Debating whether the PHEV or hybrid is the way to go.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
Thank you everyone. My driving will be mainly in city centres - Uber in UK. It will be fully charged and probably top up during my shift but other then that will be hybrid mode. Debating whether the PHEV or hybrid is the way to go.
Does UK give any tax credits/incentives for buying the PHEV over the Hybrid? In the states, the PHEV qualifies for I believe $4580 in tax credits. That brings the effective cost of the PHEV right in line with the Hybrid, so if they're the same price, might as well get the PHEV right?

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:37 PM

Consider the EV. Do you drive more than 200 miles in a day?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

They offer incentive for the EV but not as far as I know for the PHEV.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 PM

IMHO, Niro EV is a poor choice because it takes a LONG time on L3. Over an hour to 80% typically. Definitely not a road car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page