138,305 miles - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

138,305 miles

Nothing new to report except the miles are still adding up. Have a safe holiday weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190705_193432225_HDR_1562373572413.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	5151  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:52 PM

1) What brand gas do you use and have you ever used Kia’s fuel additive?

2) What oil change interval do you go by and what brand and weight oil?

3) How many sets of tires and which brand(s) were your favorite?

4) How often do you change the clutch fluid?

5) How many hybrid drive belts have you replaced?

TIA! 😁

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

I will start with vehicle maintenance is not at the top of my list. I use my vehicle for work, sales rep for a foodservice company. Sometimes needing to haul product for my customers using dry ice to keep frozen items frozen and refrigerator items chilled. So my goal/break even point in my eyes is 200,000 miles. That is the point where my mileage reimbursement gets close to my vehicle expenses. Not a perfect science, but I feel any car with more miles than that is just waiting to strand you on the side of the road or nickel and dime you to death. And being stranded with $700 of beef tenderloin in the back would make me very anxious.

So to answer your questions, I use 87 octane fuel. About 30 gallons per week. Main fuel companies are Murphy USA, Phillips 66, Casey's, QT, and Shell in that order. I have not used any additives.

As for oil change interval. I do it myself approximately every 7500 miles, which is about every 5-6 weeks. I use 0w20 oil from rural King. It is a synthetic oil that runs about $13 for 5 quarts. Oil filters are fram, and Mobil. I like the way the fram sit on the bottom of the engine, so planning to switch back to them on next oil change.

Tires. I got 75,000 miles off my first set. I did not rotate, align or balance them the life of the tires. They were in pretty rough shape when I replaced them. The second set of tires lasted me to the 133,000 mark. I replaced the front tires when threads started to show. I still have the second set of tires on the back and plan to replace them in a week or two. The tires are Michelin just like what came on the car.

Clutch fluid is original. Nothing done in regards to this.

Hybrid drive belts. Didn't know such a thing existed. So those are original.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 AM

The belt starts your car and charges your battery. Should it break, I would think you can proceed a few miles in EV mode. Inspection only, no replacement schedule. If it gets noisy, retension before replacing. Clutch fluid is more likely to cause an issue but it is interesting that it hasn't!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I had two Toyota Prius before the Niro. Ran the same maintenance schedule with no problems. I put 200,000 miles on both of them. If I make it to that point with the Niro, I will dump it and get another. If not, I may go back to Prius.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:12 AM

Gbillyg123, Thanks much for the update! Look forward to hearing about your journey to 200k. My last Prius went 166k. with no problems. I'm just curious...where in the USA are you. We used to own an Ice Cream Store in the Poconos, Pa. Our food service rep. was with Keyco and they had company cars. Interesting you have to use your own car.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

If you're waiting to replace the tires until threads show, you've gone way past the safety zone. If threads are showing, the danger of a rupture is very high, especially at freeway speeds.
Neanderthal likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Saint Louis area. I worked for us foods for 20 years. The corporate BS got too much for me. No company car, no reimbursement. Huge tax write-off every year was the only positive. Now I work for a locally owned family company. They give us a monthly allowance. It doesn't pay for all my mileage but gets pretty close. I had a company car with a tomato company in between the other two companies. But they sent me messages if they caught me doing over the 70mph mark. I would say if they give you a car, they may pay you a little less. Nothing in life is free, but I am extremely happy with the family I work for.
Neanderthal likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

The threads showing caught me off guard. Noticed while changing my oil. Typical uneven wear with this many miles. On my Prius I would be well into my 4th set of tires. Rear tires showing inside wear but no threads. I will be replacing very soon as the new tires are at home in my garage. Yes I'm pushing my luck.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:56 PM

Being happy is the most important thing!!!!! Niro seems to be a great car choice for the mission you use it for.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page