Daughter loves my Niro - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Daughter loves my Niro

Daughter's car is a 97 Camry. The night before an LA to San Fran trip the engine light came on and while driving to get it checked the next morning smoke came out the back. Knowing that isn't going to be a quick fix, I loaded all her stuff into my Niro, gave her a short lesson on the cruise control and sent her on her way. She got there 10 hours later and raved about how nice the car is. Of course the blue-tooth connection to play her podcasts was her favorite feature.
Dovidan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:10 AM

What a good mom. Make sure she gives it back!

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
What a good mom. Make sure she gives it back!
Yeah, really. OTOH, a new modern car vs a 22 year old well-worn, no wonder she likes it! And yeah, remember to get it back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

It's shocking how low the Toyota feels now. It was my car until Feb when I got my Niro. I'm looking forward to getting it back!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
It's shocking how low the Toyota feels now. It was my car until Feb when I got my Niro. I'm looking forward to getting it back!
Good luck getting back into the Camry. I was a dedicated sedanist for a long time, right up until 2013 when I bought my first Soul. Now getting into a standard car seems to require a "fall in" rather than a step in and sit as with my Soul. And presumably your Niro. Niro is 60" tall vs. 63.5" for the Soul, vs 55.4" for your Camry. Funny how comfort levels change.

Did your daughter track MPG on her trip?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Good luck getting back into the Camry. I was a dedicated sedanist for a long time, right up until 2013 when I bought my first Soul. Now getting into a standard car seems to require a "fall in" rather than a step in and sit as with my Soul. And presumably your Niro. Niro is 60" tall vs. 63.5" for the Soul, vs 55.4" for your Camry. Funny how comfort levels change.

Did your daughter track MPG on her trip?
I sat in a couple of Souls before deciding on the Niro PHEV. Honestly, had the Soul been available as a plug-in hybrid, I would probably have gotten it over the Niro, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I liked the additional head room and overall height of the Soul. It seemed like it had more ground clearance and a higher seat height but I don't know if that is real or just perceived.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:05 AM

With a PT Cruiser and now the Niro as my sole cars for the last 19 years, I had no idea I was getting old. Borrowing my parents subcompact sedan sure demonstrated a big difference in getting in comfortably. Extra perceived effort and knee pain. I could live with a small car, and keep wondering if I should have bought the much more aero and efficient Ioniq but for better or worse, I have the Niro!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
With a PT Cruiser and now the Niro as my sole cars for the last 19 years, I had no idea I was getting old. Borrowing my parents subcompact sedan sure demonstrated a big difference in getting in comfortably. Extra perceived effort and knee pain. I could live with a small car, and keep wondering if I should have bought the much more aero and efficient Ioniq but for better or worse, I have the Niro!
I switched from a Volt to a Niro exactly because it was getting harder for me to get in and out of it. It's so low to the ground so I hear you! The Niro isn't as high as my wife's CX-5, but it's a happy medium that still works well for me. I miss the extra EV range and smoother transmission (DCT vs Single Reduction Gear) but the Niro is so much more comfortable and has many more creature comforts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
My wife loooooves her 2001 PT. It's got about 75,000 miles on it, she drives about 1000/year now that she's not running up and down the east coast for work. Had the front brakes replaced once (got a bunch of sand in there I believe), fluids replaced numerous times, ATF, O&F every year or two, and recently we put its second battery in. The Walmart battery lasted over 9 years.

When we need to haul stuff, we use the PT Hauler. Otherwise we take my Soul. Did I mention she loves her PT?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:12 PM

The CX5 might require stepping up to sit in it depending on your inseam length. You do know that the driver seat is height adjustable? I max out the height on mine for better visibility and thigh support (Kia cars typically have short seat cushions).

I loved my PT too, except for the mpg with which I did better than most owners at 28 mpg over 200,000 miles in my five speed. The worst part was the battery. Pretty high “vampire” current killed it regularly every two years (replaced under warranty). Mostly because I often parked it for three or four weeks. Daily drivers won’t have that issue.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech