EV Salvage---she's dead Jim - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
EV Salvage---she's dead Jim

Anyone know of a good salvage operation or had experience parting out a totaled Niro?

I have a 2018 PHEV LX. 40,000 miles. My son was driving and swerved to miss a deer. Swerving is ill advised and dangerous but not doing it is easier said than done. Missed the deer but hit the ditch and then a field approach. Total loss. However there isn't so much as a dent or wrinkle in the vehicle. No body panel damage. No busted windows. No door dents. No hood dents. No scrapes anywhere. The damage almost entirely contained to front bumper and undercarriage. I think he might have hooked the culvert. But because of that the front end parts and engine bay look like someone took a big Pacific Rim type sword to the guts of it in the front of the vehicle. But since everything else is intact on the vehicle including all the other body parts (front fenders and hood not even buckled/dented), I'm wondering if I should buy it for salvage value from the insurance company and see if I can get a better price or part it out. Main battery pack should be good for example. Engine and transmission are fine. Only 1 flat tire. Basically lots of parts are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 PM

My opinion is there is some value here. This is a relatively new model that has been in production for less than 3 years. I would bet used parts are almost non existent. It would seem if someone was interested in parting in out there would be some money to be made.

As an example on this forum some were say in inverter water pump is almost impossible to come by with dealers having to take them off new cars to make timely repairs in some instances.

The flip side is since these are newer vehicles maybe there is not a demand for used spare parts yet!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:30 PM

First of all, sorry to hear about the accident. Insurance companies sell salvage all day, every day. They know what they can get for the vehicle and have efficient means to dispose of it. Kinda like beating the house in Vegas, you would be trying to do something that is not easy to do - sell salvage for more than you paid for it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Like others have said, it’s such a new model there may not be a huge market for used parts yet. It may be a while to make a return on your investment. The admins will be setting up a Buy/Sell/Trade forum for us soon so you’ll have a thread to advertise and watch for part needs.

That being said, if you buy it back from insurance, I call dibs on one of the wheels. I’d like to have a spare for my PHEV for road trips. I’d also be interested in the charge cord and any accessories you may have.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 07-21-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
The admins will be setting up a Buy/Sell/Trade forum for us soon so you’ll have a thread to advertise and watch for part needs.
The buy/sell forum is ready to go. you'll find it in the Forum Lounge near the bottom of the page

https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/2...ll-trade-area/

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:19 PM

I search online to see how popular Niro salvages were. It's not bad, but it's not great: https://abetter.bid/en/car-finder?search_query=kia+niro

Edit: trying another link, because the site doesn't show only the Niro
https://abetter.bid/en/car-finder/ty...l&per-page=100

2018 FE, MA

Last edited by Amyga; 07-25-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added another link
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:10 PM

Hey can I buy the left side of your steering wheel controls? My volume toggle broke and Kia will not replace under warranty. I have 37500 miles on it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccseater2 View Post
Hey can I buy the left side of your steering wheel controls? My volume toggle broke and Kia will not replace under warranty. I have 37500 miles on it
Why won't Kia replace it? Is it considered a part under the 3yr/36k electronics warranty?

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Ya, I love these steering wheel controls but am afraid they will fail with my constant use (I'm into music, mileage stats, yada yada). These toggle don't *feel* like they would last 100K miles hmmm.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page