Passive Alarm (Insurance purposes) - Kia Niro Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to dlance26
Passive Alarm (Insurance purposes)

Hi all,

Iím shopping for new insurance, if Iím able to prove that my Niro 2018 EX has a passive alarm I can get a good deal, however, I have been reading that the dealer activates it for you (for a hefty price). Is this the case; is anyone able to confirm that these vehicles have passive alarms pre-built into them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 PM

I don't think I have one on mine. You can test it this way. Next time you drive, when you stop turn the car off. Exit the car with your key. Shut your car door and walk away (don't lock it and don't press any button on the key fob). Put your key down at least 20' away. Go up to the car and shake it a lot. If the alarm goes off, it has a passive alarm activated. If not, you don't. Not sure how you'll prove it to the insurance company.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:15 AM

Garage
I can confirm my 2018 Niro PHEV has a passive alarm built into it. See your Owner's Manual under Theft-alarm system.
The system is on by default, unless you ask a dealer to disable it. You can't test the system, as you would have to break into your locked car to see if it comes on.
You can prove it to the insurance company by showing them the passage in the Owner's Manual - however since they get all manufacturers' info, they should know this already.

SM1
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
I don't think I have one on mine. You can test it this way. Next time you drive, when you stop turn the car off. Exit the car with your key. Shut your car door and walk away (don't lock it and don't press any button on the key fob). Put your key down at least 20' away. Go up to the car and shake it a lot. If the alarm goes off, it has a passive alarm activated. If not, you don't. Not sure how you'll prove it to the insurance company.
If the car isn’t locked, no alarm would be set. That doesn’t seem to be a valid test.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:50 AM

I gather that "passive" alarm sets itself. The Niro has to be actively set by locking the doors. Unless the always blinking red light on the dash counts as a passive alarm!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 AM

I'm thinking "passive alarm" is an insurance company term. In the owners manual I can only find on page 4-15 through 4-19 talk of the anti theft feature and the engine immobilizer system. I wonder if the insurance company accepts the engine immobilizer system to be a "passive alarm" since the vehicle operator has nothing to do with it. Supposedly if you don't have the smart key you can't start the car.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstr Maria View Post
I can confirm my 2018 Niro PHEV has a passive alarm built into it. See your Owner's Manual under Theft-alarm system.
The system is on by default, unless you ask a dealer to disable it. You can't test the system, as you would have to break into your locked car to see if it comes on.
You can prove it to the insurance company by showing them the passage in the Owner's Manual - however since they get all manufacturers' info, they should know this already.
I'm looking at the Owner's Manual for my 2018 PHEV and I don't see anything about a "passive" alarm. My manual describes three alarm modes: Disarmed, Armed and Theft Alarm. It says that the system is armed either by locking the doors with the fob or using the key. Nothing about passive functionality. Plus, it states that the alarm is triggered by opening any door, the liftgate or the hood without the smart key, so you could test it by rolling the windows down, setting the alarm and then opening a door from the inside.

Unless we're talking about a different definition of "passive" I don't think the Niro has one. Based on this link, I think the alarm in the Niro would qualify as "Active" or "Non-Passive" as you need to lock the doors to arm it. Unless as FlNiro mentioned the immobilizer counts.

https://www.autoinsurancequotes.com/.../passive-alarm

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:34 AM

Garage
You don't seem to understand what a passive alarm is and how it differs from an active alarm.

A passive alarm turns on automatically. Once the key is removed and all the doors to the vehicle are closed, the alarm turns itself on. This function gives the alarm the name ďpassive,Ē as the driver does nothing to arm it.

An active alarm must be activated by the driver. The driver must turn the system on, commonly done by clicking a button on a remote. The active role played by the driver in arming this alarm results in this being called an ďactiveĒ alarm.

So therefore, even though the manual doesn't specifically spell it out, the Kia Niro has a passive alarm.

https://www.dedona.com/differences-b...alarm-systems/

SM1
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Garage
I meant to say ...once the key is removed and all the doors to the vehicle are locked, the alarm automatically turns itself on ... it is built into the system (i.e. factory installed) and this is a passive system, since no further action is required by the driver to turn it on.

Why don't you ask your insurance company for their definition of active vs. passive and go with that?

SM1
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstr Maria View Post
I meant to say ...once the key is removed and all the doors to the vehicle are locked, the alarm automatically turns itself on ... it is built into the system (i.e. factory installed) and this is a passive system, since no further action is required by the driver to turn it on.

Why don't you ask your insurance company for their definition of active vs. passive and go with that?
I concur that this would be my definition, in that it is integrated with the car's systems and does not require action solely to enable the alarm. If locking the doors also activates the alarm, I would consider that passive. I know of no alarm that would activate automatically on an unlocked vehicle, and not certain I would want one. I have no need for an alarm to be activated when my car is locked within my garage at night, and the car remains unlocked.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page