Road Trip!!!! - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Cool Road Trip!!!!

Hey everyone!

I am getting excited for my second extensive road trip with my 2017 Kia Niro EX. We're taking an end of Summer trip through the Eastern US. The rough route is estimated to be 4,588 miles and 92.5 hours of drive time. We're hitting all of the Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, Washington D.C, following the Appalachian Trail down to Pensacola, FL, hopping over to Ocean Springs, MS and New Orleans, then hitting up some caves in Branson, MO on our way back north!

If all goes well, we plan to be on the road around 2 weeks give or take. We're in prepare for crunch time mode. We still have to replace our tires, and we're not sure if the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (what it came with) are worth the extra bucks or if we're going to go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (which are much cheaper). Any opinions?

Looking forward to really breaking in the car.

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	5229  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaj1987 View Post
We still have to replace our tires, and we're not sure if the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (what it came with) are worth the extra bucks or if we're going to go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (which are much cheaper). Any opinions?

Isaac
What is the price gap between those 2 tire model ?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
What is the price gap between those 2 tire model ?
$492 installed for the Goodyear and $730 installed for the Michelin. Tread warranty is the same on both and the Michelin seem to have the best reviews in the eco class whereas Goodyear has some mixed reviews it seems.

Isaac
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM

Pretty much got 140,000 miles between my first two sets of michelens. I'm sticking with them.
FlNiro and iaj1987 like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:41 PM

I had 2 sets of Goodyear Fuel Max tires on my old Prius. While I generally liked the tires I found them to become very noisy during the second half of their life.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Garage
Try Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus.

SM1
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Also it was my understanding that the Michelin tires that comes on the Niro is a run flat tire. That would weigh in my decision when replacing them since the car doesn't come with a spare unless the owner gets one. My understanding was that you could go up to 50 mi. with the tire flat in case of emergency. Hope that's correct.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
Also it was my understanding that the Michelin tires that comes on the Niro is a run flat tire. That would weigh in my decision when replacing them since the car doesn't come with a spare unless the owner gets one. My understanding was that you could go up to 50 mi. with the tire flat in case of emergency. Hope that's correct.
This is NOT the case. You're also confusing run flat with self sealing. Michelin does make a self sealing version of the Energy Saver A/S. It comes on the Bolt EV. The Energy Saver A/S that comes with the Niro is NOT the self sealing version. You can tell the difference by looking for the SelfSeal logo on the sidewall. SelfSeal does not give you any guaranteed range after the tire has been punctured. You just have to pray the sealant holds until you can get it repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 10.55.36 AM.png
Views:	16
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	5233  

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaj1987 View Post
If all goes well, we plan to be on the road around 2 weeks give or take. We're in prepare for crunch time mode. We still have to replace our tires, and we're not sure if the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (what it came with) are worth the extra bucks or if we're going to go with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (which are much cheaper). Any opinions?
Take a look at these very highly rated Pirelli P7's.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...d&autoModClar=

I recently put a set on my wife's CX-5 and it increased her average mpg by 2-3. They are also quieter than the OEM tire and softened the ride. The Bolt/Volt community swear by them and the tire has developed a cult like following by those drivers. When I need tires on the Niro, I've going with the Pirelli's.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 07-25-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM

Yikes and I thought my one Waterfall tire from Walmart at $75 mounted, balanced, with road hazard was expensive.lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page