EV test drive; any PHEV owners wishing for HEV? - Kia Niro Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Question EV test drive; any PHEV owners wishing for HEV?

After taking 4 months off and waiting for the Niro pure EV to be available, I'm back in the hunt. anticipating making a purchase in Sept.

Today I drove a PHEV EX Prem & a EV EX Prem. As expected the EV acceleration was definitely better than the PHEV, but when shifting to Sport in the PHEV, I felt that the PHEV it was no slouch and not that far off from the EV. The PHEV ride comfort and noise level on its 206/60R16 Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires was much, much smoother & quieter than the EV on its P215/55R17 Michelin Primacy MX tires (similar to that of the PHEV Touring on 18" 245 series Primacy MX) -- hard to believe how much better the 16 inchers are! Besides the acceleration, the only thing I liked better about the EV was the shifter and the larger center console.

When I do the math, even with the reduced sales tax and greater Fed Tax Credit, the PHEV comes in about $4,600 less. Since I drive only about 7,000 / yr, I wouldn't come close to recovering the cost differential in 10 year unless the gasoline takes a huge jump.

So even though the EV's lack of moving parts / maintenance is a draw, I'm definitely scratching the pure EV and going for a hybrid - HEV or PHEV. And I'm definitely leaning toward PHEV since most of our daily drives are 15-30 miles. I simply don't need the range of a pure EV; if I want to go 200+ miles, I'll probably take my Outback as it still is more comfy than the Niro. My only hesitance on the PHEV is that is seems somewhat more complex than the HEV and perhaps more problematic.

So, my final question for those in the know here is do any of you who have a PHEV wish you had gotten a HEV instead? If yes, why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 AM

The EV has a 0-60 time of 7 seconds, the PHEV 9 seconds. Not close. All you are feeling with Sport mode is a more sensitive throttle, not more power. The PHEV has similar times to the HEV even though it weighs more. Car and Driver says that the difference is not noticed in normal driving.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM

No regrets about purchasing the PHEV
charlesH and TheSilverFlash like this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
I was coming from a Volt so the HEV wasn't even an option for me, it HAD to have a plug so that left me with the PHEV or the BEV. I had very similar observations between the PHEV and the BEV versions. The console in the BEV is much nicer with the larger cup holders and rotary dial shifter. However like you, I did the math on the PHEV and BEV versions and it was just going to be way over my budget. I'm leasing the PHEV EX Premium for $350/mo. The BEV would have been $200 more per month. I don't buy more than $20 in gas per month in my PHEV, so even factoring in gas and maintenance, the BEV still would have cost me significantly more. Maybe after 10 years or so I would have broke even and started going into the black, but honestly I may not even have the PHEV for 10 years so I pulled the trigger on the PHEV and haven't looked back. You'll love it.
charlesH likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
After taking 4 months off and waiting for the Niro pure EV to be available, I'm back in the hunt. anticipating making a purchase in Sept.

Today I drove a PHEV EX Prem & a EV EX Prem. As expected the EV acceleration was definitely better than the PHEV, but when shifting to Sport in the PHEV, I felt that the PHEV it was no slouch and not that far off from the EV. The PHEV ride comfort and noise level on its 206/60R16 Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires was much, much smoother & quieter than the EV on its P215/55R17 Michelin Primacy MX tires (similar to that of the PHEV Touring on 18" 245 series Primacy MX) -- hard to believe how much better the 16 inchers are! Besides the acceleration, the only thing I liked better about the EV was the shifter and the larger center console.

When I do the math, even with the reduced sales tax and greater Fed Tax Credit, the PHEV comes in about $4,600 less. Since I drive only about 7,000 / yr, I wouldn't come close to recovering the cost differential in 10 year unless the gasoline takes a huge jump.

So even though the EV's lack of moving parts / maintenance is a draw, I'm definitely scratching the pure EV and going for a hybrid - HEV or PHEV. And I'm definitely leaning toward PHEV since most of our daily drives are 15-30 miles. I simply don't need the range of a pure EV; if I want to go 200+ miles, I'll probably take my Outback as it still is more comfy than the Niro. My only hesitance on the PHEV is that is seems somewhat more complex than the HEV and perhaps more problematic.

So, my final question for those in the know here is do any of you who have a PHEV wish you had gotten a HEV instead? If yes, why.
the prev is like having a gas car and ev in one.
TK6, Dovidan and TheSilverFlash like this.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The EV has a 0-60 time of 7 seconds, the PHEV 9 seconds. Not close. All you are feeling with Sport mode is a more sensitive throttle, not more power. The PHEV has similar times to the HEV even though it weighs more. Car and Driver says that the difference is not noticed in normal driving.
The PHEV does have a larger electric motor that produces I believe 13 or 14 more HP than the electric motor in the HEV, but like you said, since the PHEV weighs more, that extra 13 HP is probably negated by the added weight.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:47 PM

We have a 36 mile round trip we make twice a day. The two trips are 6 hours apart. With a level 2 charger the Niro PHEV was made to order for this situation.

Since it also gets great gas mileage I have no range anxiety if it switches over to gas. For us the ability to now decide if we want to use gas or not was a consideration in our decision. With our electric rates it cost us about $.65 for a full charge which gets us >30 mile on electric. It is a wonderful feeling to know in our normal commutes running on gas is a choice we get to make based on economics. If gas is higher than $1.30 a gallon we won't buy it. For our normal commutes the gas companies would have to lower their price to <$1.30 to compete for our business.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Johnxyz:
You get gas for $1.80 in KY? Amazing!. It's $3.59 here in Seattle for Shell or Chevron.
Oh, but at Costco, if you want to drive 15 miles and wait in line 10-15 minutes to fuel up, you can get it for $2.89.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
The PHEV does have a larger electric motor that produces I believe 13 or 14 more HP than the electric motor in the HEV, but like you said, since the PHEV weighs more, that extra 13 HP is probably negated by the added weight.
actually the motor is not larger it just revs higher thus more HP. The phev larger battery can drive the motor harder.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 PM

Gas in Kentucky is now $2.39/gallon. To be competitive with electricity cost for a full charge it would have to drop in cost to $1.30 per gallon.

My guess is it would have a better chance of approaching $4 to $5 a gallon than ever going down to $1.30 a gallon.

Apologize if my post implied our gas cost was $1.30 a gallon!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page