Detailing my niro. - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Detailing my niro.

I am so impressed with this product I thought to share. Been a car guy for 40 plus years. Worked in both auto paint and mechanics professionally for 20 of those. Always have loved taking care of my cars. And big believer in hand washing and maintaining a good wax . I tried a new product for me for the 1st time on my niro. Hybrid ceramic wax by Meguirs. The more I used the better it looks. What's even better is it covers paint, the soft black plastics even the glass. Many threads on youtube. Recommend if tried, everthing must be very clean before applying for 1st time. After that, tune up by misting on and rinsing. Way easier than traditional waxing where you avoid all non painted surfaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for it.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I found best to microfiber the product in after misting then rinsing. After that the microfiber that has the product worked into it, I then use without adding any more to treat my door jambs, all rubber seals, and all interior plastics. Dash, door panels etc. I finally finish with that same towel under the hood cleaning and treating the plastics there also. In my opinion, everything looks even better than when new. If anyone tries please post your opinions. And your welcome fniro.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Another inexpensive product that punches well above its weight is Turtle Wax (Yes, that Turtle Wax) Seal and Shine. Itís an easy to apply spray on, wipe off product that offers great protection with durability thatís available locally. Many YouTube detailers have been raving about it and putting through torture tests against other more expensive products and itís been beating them all. Torture tests do not recreate real life conditions of sun, rain and contaminants, but when put side to side with other products going through the same tests, it beats them all.

I just applied it to my Niro and Mazda CX-5 and so far, so good. Itís too early to talk about durability, but it leaves a slick finish with good Shine and excellent water repellency. Iím liking what Iím seeing so far. For around $10 a bottle, itís worth a try.
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

I don’t mean my posts to put down Meguiars HCW. Everyone has their preferences and what works best for them. MHCW is a great product that’s easy to apply and with regular refreshes will offer excellent protection. I just want to let people know about other choices.

Having said that, here’s a comparison between MHCW and TWS&S and Mother’s CMX which is similar to MHCW. The reviewer had just started to do these durability tests, so his procedures haven’t been fine tuned yet but the TW product clearly beat the others.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Are these products what professional detailers use? Looks like much of the work is in the prep of the paint before application.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Yes, if your carís paint is immaculate and glistening, 95% of it is due to the prep work. No wax or sealant is going to work miracles to make an oxidized car pop.

And a professional detailer who is charging $1000 for a multi-day detail on your car better not be using a $8 bottle of sealant from Walmart. But a detailer offering a maintenance package of monthly or bi-weekly washes might use these products since they are quick and easy to apply and inexpensive and he knows that heíll be seeing the car again in a couple of weeks or so. But more than likely, heís going to use a product that he can get in bulk so itís more cost effective. And for the non-professionals, itís convenient, inexpensive and easy to get locally and will last a couple of months or so.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

Thanks for that. Not interested in $1,000 detailing! But I'd spring for $200 for a lessor product professionally applied in hopes that my car will stay cleaner without washing. Don't care about the pop. Once applied, I'm OK doing the refresh. From other videos, it appears they will last 6 months or more, at least if you don't take it through car washes as the posted video mentions.

Just as interesting to me is the effect they have applied to windows. A long lasting Rain X!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Thanks for that. Not interested in $1,000 detailing! But I'd spring for $200 for a lessor product professionally applied in hopes that my car will stay cleaner without washing. Don't care about the pop. Once applied, I'm OK doing the refresh. From other videos, it appears they will last 6 months or more, at least if you don't take it through car washes as the posted video mentions.

Just as interesting to me is the effect they have applied to windows. A long lasting Rain X!
Got you. Iím not an expert, but Iíd say that most pros are going to use products that they can get in bulk gallon sizes so they are not running to the auto parts store every couple of days to pick up supplies, so they most likely wonít be using S&S or MHCW which are only sold in small spray bottles. But if the detailer is honest and reputable, heíll be using products that are proven to be effective and durable and not just the cheapest he can find. If youíre going to be doing the in-between washes, you can always use these spray-on products as a topper to add more protection to your paint.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I have been wanting to try the turtle wax seal and shine. Seen the comparison video. And I agree it seemed to outperform the others. But I cannot find in any store. Any recommendations? Overall even with the meguires it still seem to provide alot of bang for the buck, considering all the surfaces it enhances and protects.