Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Detailing my niro.

10K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Super.gary 
#1 ·
I am so impressed with this product I thought to share. Been a car guy for 40 plus years. Worked in both auto paint and mechanics professionally for 20 of those. Always have loved taking care of my cars. And big believer in hand washing and maintaining a good wax . I tried a new product for me for the 1st time on my niro. Hybrid ceramic wax by Meguirs. The more I used the better it looks. What's even better is it covers paint, the soft black plastics even the glass. Many threads on youtube. Recommend if tried, everthing must be very clean before applying for 1st time. After that, tune up by misting on and rinsing. Way easier than traditional waxing where you avoid all non painted surfaces.

#3 ·
I found best to microfiber the product in after misting then rinsing. After that the microfiber that has the product worked into it, I then use without adding any more to treat my door jambs, all rubber seals, and all interior plastics. Dash, door panels etc. I finally finish with that same towel under the hood cleaning and treating the plastics there also. In my opinion, everything looks even better than when new. If anyone tries please post your opinions. And your welcome fniro.

#4 ·
Another inexpensive product that punches well above its weight is Turtle Wax (Yes, that Turtle Wax) Seal and Shine. It’s an easy to apply spray on, wipe off product that offers great protection with durability that’s available locally. Many YouTube detailers have been raving about it and putting through torture tests against other more expensive products and it’s been beating them all. Torture tests do not recreate real life conditions of sun, rain and contaminants, but when put side to side with other products going through the same tests, it beats them all.

I just applied it to my Niro and Mazda CX-5 and so far, so good. It’s too early to talk about durability, but it leaves a slick finish with good Shine and excellent water repellency. I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. For around $10 a bottle, it’s worth a try.

#5 ·
I don’t mean my posts to put down Meguiars HCW. Everyone has their preferences and what works best for them. MHCW is a great product that’s easy to apply and with regular refreshes will offer excellent protection. I just want to let people know about other choices.

Having said that, here’s a comparison between MHCW and TWS&S and Mother’s CMX which is similar to MHCW. The reviewer had just started to do these durability tests, so his procedures haven’t been fine tuned yet but the TW product clearly beat the others.

#7 ·
Yes, if your car’s paint is immaculate and glistening, 95% of it is due to the prep work. No wax or sealant is going to work miracles to make an oxidized car pop.

And a professional detailer who is charging $1000 for a multi-day detail on your car better not be using a $8 bottle of sealant from Walmart. But a detailer offering a maintenance package of monthly or bi-weekly washes might use these products since they are quick and easy to apply and inexpensive and he knows that he’ll be seeing the car again in a couple of weeks or so. But more than likely, he’s going to use a product that he can get in bulk so it’s more cost effective. And for the non-professionals, it’s convenient, inexpensive and easy to get locally and will last a couple of months or so.

#8 ·
Thanks for that. Not interested in $1,000 detailing! But I'd spring for $200 for a lessor product professionally applied in hopes that my car will stay cleaner without washing. Don't care about the pop. Once applied, I'm OK doing the refresh. From other videos, it appears they will last 6 months or more, at least if you don't take it through car washes as the posted video mentions.

Just as interesting to me is the effect they have applied to windows. A long lasting Rain X!

#9 ·
Got you. I’m not an expert, but I’d say that most pros are going to use products that they can get in bulk gallon sizes so they are not running to the auto parts store every couple of days to pick up supplies, so they most likely won’t be using S&S or MHCW which are only sold in small spray bottles. But if the detailer is honest and reputable, he’ll be using products that are proven to be effective and durable and not just the cheapest he can find. If you’re going to be doing the in-between washes, you can always use these spray-on products as a topper to add more protection to your paint.

#10 ·
I have been wanting to try the turtle wax seal and shine. Seen the comparison video. And I agree it seemed to outperform the others. But I cannot find in any store. Any recommendations? Overall even with the meguires it still seem to provide alot of bang for the buck, considering all the surfaces it enhances and protects.

#13 ·
I think I got mine at Walmart. TW also has the ICE Spray Wax which is just a tad less tenacious than the Seal & Shine but still good. It also beads more than the S&S. If you can’t find the S&S, the wax might be an option. Similar price.

The mass marketed detailing brands seems to have stepped up there games lately. I even saw a review of a Simoniz sealant that performed well. TW was usually a “use because you are in a hurry and couldn’t find anything else at the store” kind of product or you saw a commercial for it years ago and just don’t know any better.

#11 ·
For those considering trying these type of products I do agree prepping is most important. Any imperfections or contaminents will still be there unless addressed prior to application. I used regular wax prior to trying the ceramic and before using each I cleaned thoughly and also clay barred. Lots of good videos on using clay bars also.

#12 ·
All the"Pro" products in reasonable sizes are available at Autogeek.com along with instructional videos. I have focused on the BlackFire line and found that One Step works really well and is easy to apply by hand or machine. You can also follow up One Step with the BlackFire Si02 spray for a deeper shine or a later refresh. They have reasonable prices.

#16 ·
I used a dual action polisher (the head spins and oscillates so it reduces the risk of leaving circular swirl marks if you leave it in one spot too long), a not very aggressive foam pad and a mild polish. This was after I washed and clayed the surface to remove embedded contaminants. I used a clay mitt instead of traditional clay bar. After all steps, then I applied the sealant.

#18 ·
Yes, sorry. Most polishers are electric and the better ones are usually closer to $150 and above. You want a decent want that’s powerful enough so the head will not get bogged down around curved body lines on the car and reduce the effectiveness of it. I haven’t seen any at the price range that you listed.

If you are using a dedicated polish, once you work it in with the polisher, you wipe it off the surface with microfiber cloths and then you wipe all the polished surfaces with a product that will remove the oils that might be left over even though you have buffed it off with the microfibers. If you don’t do the wipe down and apply your last step product right after, the polish residue might prevent your LSP from bonding to the paint and be less durable in the long run. I actually used an All-in-One product that has a mild polish and sealant combined, so I didn’t have to do the panel wipe down step.

Here are a lot of steps, but it sounds worse than it really is. You can watch a couple of YouTube videos of detailers doing a full detail on a car to see the various steps involved and the products and equipment needed.

#19 ·
I'm an "Old School" car guy myself... been turning wrenches and detailing since 1983... I've never been one to buy into all the "space-age polymers, mined from the mountains of Planet Zebulon"... I'm a firm believer in good, old fashioned elbow grease, where among many of my detail brethren, there was a common consensus... "the easier a wax is to apply, the shorter it will last". So, with that being said, I'd like to recommend a product that happens to be the absolute toughest wax I have ever used. It's a Marine and Aeronautical wax that is almost impervious to Acid Rain, Bugs, Industrial Fallout and repeated car washes... I've been using it since 1990, and never looked back. Two applications a year is all you need: Spring to Summer, and Fall to Winter. It's a true paste wax that will give your arms a work-out, but, when you are through, the paint will feel like it's wrapped in plastic. If it can withstand one of the harshest environments on the planet... the ocean... it would certainly stand the test of time on an automobile. And, for any of you with clear Protective Film on your front end (like I do), this wax is 100% safe.

Where to buy:
https://www.amazon.com/Collonite-88...5&s=gateway&sprefix=collinite+,aps,214&sr=8-1

If you want to research the wax directly from the manufacturer:
https://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/

Now, for the glass... I was there when "Rain-X" was invented... and, for what it was at the time, it was revolutionary. But that romance quickly ended with prolonged results. Back in the early 2000's, I discovered "Aquapel"... comes in a handy applicator with a glass vial inside, and a "cotton" pad on the face. Clean the windows, break the vial, start on the entire windshield, then work your way back, both front doors, then rear, then both rear doors, soaking up excess from the windshield each time... After it dries to a haze, wipe off. that's it, done. With this product, you will barely have the need for wipers, especially at highway speeds... Crystal clear vision in the heaviest of rains. While I see other drivers frantically throw their wipers on "high", I'm just cruising along, watching the rain drops sizzle up the glass... Apply every 6 months, and you'll be literally laughing all the way down the road... seriously...

Where to buy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUAPEL-Ap...K:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649#rwid

If you want to research Aquapel directly from the manufacturer:
Rain Repellent Glass Treatment - Aquapel Glass Treatment

I use these products because I like to spend less time cleaning, and more time driving... I go through a car wash about once every two weeks, and I waxed my car last April... Both the paint AND the glass STILL beads...

#27 ·
Now, for the glass... I was there when "Rain-X" was invented... and, for what it was at the time, it was revolutionary. But that romance quickly ended with prolonged results. Back in the early 2000's, I discovered "Aquapel"... comes in a handy applicator with a glass vial inside, and a "cotton" pad on the face. Clean the windows, break the vial, start on the entire windshield, then work your way back, both front doors, then rear, then both rear doors, soaking up excess from the windshield each time... After it dries to a haze, wipe off. that's it, done. With this product, you will barely have the need for wipers, especially at highway speeds... Crystal clear vision in the heaviest of rains. While I see other drivers frantically throw their wipers on "high", I'm just cruising along, watching the rain drops sizzle up the glass... Apply every 6 months, and you'll be literally laughing all the way down the road... seriously...
I have been a long time user of Rain-X (more then 30 years) and it is a bit labour intensive to put on. Since it won’t last a full winter (which means often driving through rain) I felt encouraged to try Aquapel.
Applied it this weekend and carefully made sure the liquid doesn’t dry up per manufacturer’s direction and wiped off excess with a paper towel. The windshield looks like new, can’t even spot the minor little holes caused by trucks leaving a trail of sand.
The glass is now much easier to clean even with one swoosh of the wiper as road dirt during rain barely sticks. But I am not so impressed with its ability of not letting the drops stick. The water drops actually stick to the glass, which doesn’t happen with rain-x. I need to drive at least 60 mph before the drops fly off. And during a heavy down pour or when there is a lot of water on the road after a down pour thrown in the air by vehicles in front of me I still need to use the wipers. With rain-x 45mph was enough to not use the wipers independent of the rain fall and water on the road.
Did I not apply properly? It wasn’t sunny, actually between 2 light showers, so humidity could have been to high? Air temp was about 60F.
The glass was perfectly cleaned right before application.

#20 ·
I agree with everything you stated in regards to old school philosophy. And you are right this product I tried( meguires) doesnt seem to stand the test of time and sustained beading without a tuneup. However what I do like is the complete coverage I get with this product. These niro's have alot of the textured black plastic that you dont dare get conventional type wax on. I still recommend you give this a try its fast easy cheap. After my quick easy wash( often just a rinse no soap ) a light mist of the product, go over with microfiber, rinse again, then dry. Overall the results are impressive and its quick and easy.

#21 ·
Definitely if you find something that works for you, stick with it. I don’t enjoy the elbow grease factor of paste wax so I prefer a spray sealant. I don’t expect it to last six months but since it’s so easy to reapply, I can do so in 10 minutes after a wash.

I’ve heard good things about AquaPel. Will have to try it out. Thanks for the reminder.

#24 ·
Before I started using the ceramic, I was using paste wax for 6 months. I agree it seemed to last longer. But it offers nothing for all the plastics and rubber trims. Using the ceramic it treats and protects the whole car and the black plastics look better than when new. Is using both the best approach?

#28 ·
I just found this video showing the difference between Aquapel and Rain-X, where it was noted you need more speed to get drops off the windshield with Aquapel then with Rain-X.

However I find on my windshield the drops sticking way more then on this video. I need to go beyond 60mph without actual rain to get them off.
I am just wondering if I applied it right and didn't wiped off the excess liquid to quickly. I followed this instruction which I found via the website of the Aquapel seller in Canada http://www.aquapel.ca/

#29 ·
I like the water clearance of RainX versus Aquapel better (don't bother with either one currently). RainX does make the windshield hazy though and the Aquapel doesn't. The water clearance of the new ceramic paint finishes is intriguing when applied to windows. I'd like to try, but just like the other options, I'm being lazy.

#30 ·
Over the course of this summer I've used only the meguires. It may not be the best ceramic out there but once I finish this bottle I may give another a try. Again for the overall performance I am impressed. From paint to glass to plastics. It seems to work well on all. I even treat door panels, dash, rubberseals and underhood with the leftover residue left on the microfiber towels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.