EV or PHEV in New England? - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
AHM

Garage
EV or PHEV in New England?

My family is considering getting a PHEV or EV Niro. As background, this would be my primary car. I have a short 10-11 mile drive to work, which I only do 4 days a week and a free 240v charger at work. We don't have a garage at our house so unless we want to run a very long extension cord from our porch, which is not ideal, we'll have to get a plug or charger installed for home charging. There are a couple free chargers near our house. On the one hand the PHEV seems interesting from the perspective of price and flexibility, on the other hand it's appealing to be totally free of a gas engine. Also, we haven't test drove them yet (will be this weekend) but the EV sounds like more fun to drive. How has winter driving impacted the MPG and range of your PHEV and EV? For New England folks, how has charging your EV been on road trips within the region? Looking at various apps and maps there appear to be quite a few charging stations near major road ways but I'm curious to hear some real world experiences.
TheSilverFlash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:56 PM

AHM: Welcome to this forum & all things Niro. I am in a very similar position as you. Since you appear to be new to this forum, perhaps you missed my post regarding test driving both the EV & PHEV and the response to that post. You can find the post at this link: https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/9...shing-hev.html
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome! Yours is an interesting situation. Without a garage, you will have to get an outdoor rated EVSE (charger), so that will cost a bit more. Of course, free charging at work for 8 hours could be enough that you never need to charge at home. One consideration is how much you drive on the non-work days, when you aren't charging at work. And how far might you drive on those non-work days.

I've had my PHEV for just over 3 months, and if Kia offered me a no cost trade (just a higher payment) on my lease to switch to the e-Niro I would probably jump on it. The PHEV has many strengths, particularly the flexibility to drive extremely long distances with just a quick stop at a gas station. And on gas alone it has a range of about 600 miles. During these warm days, I've been able to get 34 EV miles, even with the A/C on, but I would enjoy the pure EV more. The down-side to the PHEV is that the electric motor is only a little more powerful than the standard hybrid, and climbing long hills or accelerating up freeway on-ramps there isn't enough EV power to keep up with traffic, so the ICE has to start. The EV has a much more powerful motor. You cannot floor the throttle without the ICE starting, and of course when it gets cold the ICE is the only way to warm the interior.

In general the two versions are quite similar. The front grill is different on the EV, the charging port is in front instead of the left front fender, it has a knob for shifting instead of a "normal" console shifter, and it has an electronic parking brake instead of the foot pedal. One thing the EV lacks is a driver's memory seat. It does offer a power seat, but no memory positions. The PHEV does have that.

Be sure to read the post that Dovidan linked, as he has experience testing the EV, and I've only read about it.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 PM

i made a different choice recently, but i'll throw it in quickly in case it helps:

i was considering PHEV vs just hybrid.
if i had gone PHEV, there were questions about ranges and places i could recharge. i might not even make a full roundtrip to work without recharging. and couldn't get work's garage to put in any kind of charging.
i would have had to worry about refueling/charging my car every day at least once.

i ended up going hybrid. now i only have to think about refueling once a month. this ended up being the best pragmatic decision i ever made. lots of saved time, reduced risks, and also if i have to unexpected flee weather or earthquakes, i am not worrying about if i have a charge etc.

good luck with your decision

--------------2019 DCBlue LX Tech Pkg----------
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnight310 View Post
i made a different choice recently, but i'll throw it in quickly in case it helps:

if i had gone PHEV, there were questions about ranges and places i could recharge. i might not even make a full roundtrip to work without recharging. and couldn't get work's garage to put in any kind of charging.
i would have had to worry about refueling/charging my car every day at least once.

i ended up going hybrid. now i only have to think about refueling once a month. this ended up being the best pragmatic decision i ever made. lots of saved time, reduced risks, and also if i have to unexpected flee weather or earthquakes, i am not worrying about if i have a charge etc.

I had a similar situation but ended up going with the PHEV. At that time I had an 80 mile round trip commute but with a garage at home I could charge every night. Economically it ended up saving a bit over the HEV and with the additional tax breaks the purchase price wasn't significantly different. Also, I really wanted the features of the EX Premium PHEV so that was a significant factor.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnight310 View Post

I went PHEV so I could charge or not charge, depending on what happened. I can currently charge at work, but that will not be the case all the time. I can charge at home, but I am a renter, so that may not be a realistic option if I move to a place without a garage. I like the idea of saving money by charging at home and work (over 2100 miles on half a tank of gas so far), but I like the freedom to gas up on longer trips or just use it as a regular hybrid if my circumstances change.
In the PHEV, you don't actually have to worry about being charged, but you can save money by doing so. Of course, if you are not going to charge, it is probably not worth it, but it was for me.
charlesH and Johnxyz like this.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:29 AM

At the time I purchased our 2018 PHEV I knew the Niro EV was going to be released in 2019. I read up on it and EV's in general, and decided the PHEV was a going to be a better fit for our rural living. Most of our mileage is electric but I look forward to the occasional trip just to run the ICE and move some fluids. We live in a mild winter climate so I don't even have to heat the Niro, just turn on the heated seat for the five minute commute. I charge overnight using the Level 1charger every 3 to 4 days. For us our PHEV is essentially a less costly EV without the range anxiety that comes with a lack of available charging stations in our part of the state.
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
If money wasn't an issue, I would have gotten the EV Niro but it was just too far out of the budget for me. My lease on my PHEV Niro is $200 less than what it would have been on the EV Niro. I did the math and with gas and maintenance on the PHEV I'm still coming out WAY less than leasing the EV Niro (which is no maintenance really other than tire rotations).

My advice, if you have the money, go with the EV Niro. Performance will be better, no maintenance, no gas, and a better center console arrangement.

If you're on a budget, then PHEV is the way to go. It's about the same price as the HEV Niro after the tax credit and it will save you more money on gas than the HEV will. I really don't understand why most folks pick the HEV over PHEV since they're basically the same price after the credit and the PHEV comes better equipped. Even if you don't have the tax liability to take the full credit, you can lease it and KMF will pass the tax credit on to you in the form of lease cash which lowers the adj cap cost.
charlesH and Johnxyz like this.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 08-16-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
AHM

Garage
Thanks everyone for your responses. I did see your thread, Dovidan, and am reading it with great interest, it's been very informative. I'm particularly curious to hear what people's experiences with charging EVs has been while doing road trips in the New England region. The network appears to be impressive but it's hard to know what it's really like until you use it. Your thread is making me think seriously about leasing instead of buying for exactly the reason some of the users on there decided to lease. In my state we have an additional $1500 tax credit on EV vehicles (not available for PHEVs) but I still don't think the price is competitive. If I lease the PHEV for a year or two it will likely be a better time to buy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I did see your thread, Dovidan, and am reading it with great interest, it's been very informative. I'm particularly curious to hear what people's experiences with charging EVs has been while doing road trips in the New England region. The network appears to be impressive but it's hard to know what it's really like until you use it. Your thread is making me think seriously about leasing instead of buying for exactly the reason some of the users on there decided to lease. In my state we have an additional $1500 tax credit on EV vehicles (not available for PHEVs) but I still don't think the price is competitive. If I lease the PHEV for a year or two it will likely be a better time to buy.
Exactly, in 2-3 years there will be some used BEV Niros available off-lease for pretty good prices. BEV values tend to tank significantly in that time frame. That might be what I end up doing. The PHEV is just a BEV with training wheels. I think I'll be ready to make the switch by then.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page