Service scams - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Service scams

So I went for our 24,000km service. I planned ahead and had a copy of the service schedule from the owner’s manual.

I was presented with a $769 work order. I paused and asked to see what was being done. There was the oil change a multi point check and a fuel system service...

I asked what the fuel system service was and get some hand waving with nonsense...

I pointed to the manual and highlighted where it indicated the clutch fluid needed changing....and no fuel system service...to which they said they had never heard of that.

After consulting with head office they admitted I was right and changed the bill. I asked for the fuel system service to be removed as it was BS and my bill all in was $228...

Watch out for the fuel system service scam...

Insist on following the factory recommended service requirements. I have an extended warranty and I won’t let them nullify it with their ineptitude.

Be warned !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:29 PM

Find another dealer!

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Easier said than done....45min further drive, but I had problems with similar behaviour there with our EV Soul... a pattern is emerging. Great cars poor service
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
Find another dealer!
Agreed, I would have left right then and there. They can't force you to pay for unauthorized repairs/services.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Well, no one was forcing me... but if I wasn’t prepared to be skeptical I might have been scammed... I’m sure this goes on everywhere. Thus the warning
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Sounds like my recent service visit, but not with KIA. It was with Ram. Had our 2017 Ram 1500 serviced and requested the manufacturer service to be done. The guy gave me an estimate of over $800. Without even saying anything the service advisor changes things on the computer and it got lowered down to $450. I guess my face had a “what are you smoking?” look on it.

Front diff service, rear diff service, transfer case service, oil and filter change, and cabin air filter change all done for $450.

Next month I’ll be taking my Niro in for the 22.5k service so we will see how they do at my local dealer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:18 PM

I took my 2019 PHEV Niro in for a 7500 oil change and tire rotation. They tried to convince me I needed a bunch of additives for $80. I passed. They also want me back after another 5K for another oil change. I'll pass on that one too. I might try another dealer next time. It's about 5 miles further, but it will be interesting to see what they recommend.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:22 PM

I think a lot of this service (MFG Recommended) is questionable as far as need. Yet one is scared to Void a Warranty.

I have changed my on oil except for the FREE 1st one, and another with a deal for $18.

I became aware of the Clutch Actuator Fluid thing after I had 30,000 miles on the car (recommended for 22,500 miles). Folks on this Forum said dealers run $80 to $150.

I decided to do the suck reservoir empty and refill (used DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid) method. A guy on this forum used the method (he did it three times at 150 mile intervals to let the new added fluid mix with the old).

Now, I read that may not work as the fluid in the clutch and hoses does not really change during operation (it is just there and stays there - SO, NO MIX).

Dealer if they know how and have the equipment to change it uses some sort of pump to pump it out and add new fluid. Get the impression from another source some dealers do not and to quote from this topic "I pointed to the manual and highlighted where it indicated the clutch fluid needed changing....and no fuel system service...to which they said they had never heard of that."

Another guy on the Forum said, he had 100,000 miles and has never changed the fluid.

PS; One begins to wonder if keeping warranty in effect is reasonable with all the DANG Maintenance Expense if go to a dealer.

Example: I am 81 years old (had a lot of cars) and never ever had a car that needed warranty service repairs (while under warranty).

Never did much to cars for maintenance except what I did myself (mostly only change engine oil at around 5000 miles + /- and use to have to lube joints.)

Did of course have brake pads and shoes to change, points on older cars, wires and spark plugs over time, and water pumps. Most of that not covered by warranty anyway and was out of warranty.

PSS: One exception -- I had a NISSAN Rogue before this NIRO and did take it in for a CVT Transmission Fluid change at recommended 30,000 miles (or was it 50,000) for like $120 at Ted Russel in Knoxville (dealer I bought the car from wanted $200 +). I was worried about the new fangled CVT LOL.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page