Was this collision too fast for AEB? - Kia Niro Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Was this situation too fast for AEB?

Hey Everyone,

To set the story properly: I'm an RN and was traveling between patients homes in my 2018 Kia Niro EX plug-in hybrid when a car unfortunately pulled out in front of me. I can understand how it was an accident as there was a truck turning right that might have blocked his vision of me coming through on the other lane. We were both a little shaken up, but no one was seriously hurt. He admitted fault and his insurance company is taking excellent care of us.

We've had the AEB system activated since we bought the car. We kept it on the standard detection setting. On two occasions when my wife was driving it oddly deployed when it was a little unnecessary. I was in the car with her during one of them and she wasn't even that close or going fast enough to cause concern. Today, I was traveling at 45 mph and even when the vehicle I collided with was nearly in front of the Niro, the AEB didn't give a warning alarm.

The responsibility relies solely on the driver to prevent accidents. The AEB system is in no way, shape, or form dedicated to preventing this as it's described in the manual. However, I believe the awkwardness of when it did deploy on our vehicle, and the lack of deployment in this accident makes me feel like the system might still be a bit too underdeveloped and I'd like to know what your guys opinions on the AEB system in 2018 Niro is. I had a front and rear facing camera installed on Niro. Below is a link to the front facing footage for anyone interested in watching. The timestamp in video is off. I believe when I updated firmware on it months ago it reset the time. The alarm at the end is the airbag deployment alarm by the way.

Be safe out there.

Video Link:

Last edited by Equatis; 09-01-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:32 AM

Garage
The AEB is designed to detect and help prevent rear-endings more than anything else. It is certainly limited in sensing anything coming from the sides, so this car pulling out would have been sensed far too late, I think. I don't think it is so much a flaw as a limitation.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewesque View Post
The AEB is designed to detect and help prevent rear-endings more than anything else. It is certainly limited in sensing anything coming from the sides, so this car pulling out would have been sensed far too late, I think. I don't think it is so much a flaw as a limitation.
I appreciate the feedback. The manual and Kia's website says it uses a combination of the camera and the sensor to detect and stop vehicle for things even as small as pedestrians crossing the street. However, they do add that the sensing ability is limited which is no joke. In this case, the warning alarm didn't even go on. My hang-up is that if the system "might" detect a pedestrian body crossing the street, one might think it would detect a car crossing as well.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:54 AM

Garage
I think the difference in speed of a pedestrian crossing and a vehicle crossing may have something to do with it, as well as the expected speeds for roads a pedestrian is likely to cross. It is my (limited) understanding that it is only checking for things directly ahead, and that it would not trigger for a pedestrian to the side of the road, only one directly in front.
Also, the number of limitations to it (will not immediately detect a car that cuts in front of you during a lane change, can be affected by the vehicle not having visible rear lights, etc.) tells me that it's really not good for much more than maybe preventing you from rear-ending someone in traffic or hitting a pedestrian you absolutely should have seen at slow speeds.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:18 AM

I’m speculating but I believe the algorithm would need to account for you changing lanes between vehicles... which if you think about it is much the same as someone changing into your lane... cutting you off. The AEB seems to work best when simply following... it as a previous poster indicated a large speed differential aka pedestrian
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
My experience has been if you've already been following the car in front of you for some amount of time, then when they slam on their brakes, the radar cruise control will slow the Niro down to a certain point (20mph) or so, then the AEB will kick in and start applying brakes (but not fully).

As others have posted, the radar cruise tends to work well if someone cuts in front of you while on the highway, but it doesn't do as well at lower speeds in the city. On several occasions, someone has made right turns right in front of me on a city street and neither the radar cruise or the AEB took any action. I had to hit the brakes myself. I think it is just a matter of owning the car for a while and getting a feel for its limitations so you know what situations it can handle and which it cannot.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

These have all been very good feedbacks guys and what you're saying makes sense.

I know the sensor is capable of working at great distances. We always used the automated cruise control and it would sense cars at a distance that was three times farther than this car. However, as we're talking about algorithms I am also wondering if the system can get confused into believing both cars were one object for a short period of time.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equatis View Post
...Today, I was traveling at 45 mph and even when the vehicle I collided with was nearly in front of the Niro, the AEB didn't give a warning alarm.
Yowza! Glad everyone's ok, that could have been a nasty one.

Most if not all AEB systems are biased against detecting stationary (or relatively so) objects to the sides of the vehicle. This makes sense as otherwise it would be triggered by parked cars or road signs. While the Niro's manual mentions pedestrian avoidance as a feature it also points out that the system won't detect hazards in all situations. When the other car pulled out in front of you it's velocity relative to your direction of travel was basically zero. Plus, right up until the moment of impact it was to the right of your car and likely outside the field of view of the sensors. In my uneducated opinion this was a near worst case scenario for the AEB system to try to detect. The other car probably looked like a stationary object on the side of the road to the AEB computer until just milliseconds before impact. In fact if you pause the video right before the collision you can see that the front of the other car is not yet to the centerline of the Niro. The forward radar, which is mounted just below the license plate, has some limited angle of view and might not even "see" the other car at this point as a result.
Pbodifee likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:45 AM

I think it was a combination of the stationary truck obscuring the carís and the peopleís vision and maybe the low speed. How fast were you going? I think I read/heard somewhere that the AEB activates over 30-35 mph. I always wanted to test it by putting a large empty cardboard box in the street and then drive up to it to see if the car would stop on its own, but driving at that speed into a barrier didnít seem like a wise idea.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouseformonkeys View Post
I think it was a combination of the stationary truck obscuring the car’s and the people’s vision and maybe the low speed. How fast were you going? I think I read/heard somewhere that the AEB activates over 30-35 mph. I always wanted to test it by putting a large empty cardboard box in the street and then drive up to it to see if the car would stop on its own, but driving at that speed into a barrier didn’t seem like a wise idea.
These have all been excellent feedbacks and I appreciate everyone's inputs. To answer your question, it was 40-45 mph.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page