Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Amplifier installation

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Princemurphy 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I'm looking to install a bass module under my front passenger seat. Who here was successful in installing an aftermarket amp, where the question is "where did you pull power from?" More than likely, I'll be running 10 Gauge wire, with a 25A max draw. I'll be tapping into the front door speakers for high level input. I have not lifted the rear seat bottom yet, so I have no idea if there's a 12V lug back there or not. Soooooo.... any tips? Pointers?

This is the product I'm thinking about... not looking to shake the neighborhood, just fill the cabin with rich bass...
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...Under-Seat-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Bass-Knob.html

#3 ·
Go to the Electronics, Audio, and Accessories subforum and there is a lot of info there as to how to wire it all.

It is MUCH easier to tap into the 12 volt connection under the back seat on the drivers side. My power wire is about 7’ long and no having to find a grommet or drill to get it into the cabin.

There is a long write up in my system. It cost me $250 total doing everything myself, including building my own box for a 10” subwoofer under the drivers seat.

#4 ·
I've scoured the whole section trying to find a definitive answer on how to power an amp from the 12V side of the battery. I went to Best buy and had them install a kicker amp and sub, and as soon as they turn it on, the 12V drops to 0V and starts to climb slowly. Share some pictures with instructions please.

#5 ·
So I found that the Best Buy tech hooked up the power in the same spot as jaxterra's picture shows, but I'm not sure where he has it grounded. I'm thinking of asking to have it relocated, or is there some other factor that is causing the amp to go flat, we've tried 2 amps. If it's the ground, I'm going to need a pat on the shoulder. Kicker class D mono running at 300 watts @ 2 ohm and a 10" CompC 2 ohm sub by the way.

#6 ·
Ok, so the inline fuse blew and the amp was bad, double whammy. Now I got bumps in my Niro and it doesn't dim the lights at all, however I have input noise that causes the sub to bump when the car is is motion. I unplugged the RCAs and it goes away(as does my sub) so I've isolated it to an input, not power issue. However, it could be the ground as the tech hooked it up right next to the power, closer toward the door(stock ground). The bumping when moving pulses faster as the car moves faster. Game plan is to rewire the RCAs from the front left and the rear right and sum the sources together through a line output converter. Please wish me luck as I'm going back Friday and having the dash ripped apart again.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.