first 1000 mile experience - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sightland
  • 1 Post By Dovidan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

first 1000 mile experience

* things I appreciate
- stylish 18 inch wheels that provide quick and flat turn-ins. it's actually fun to drive through "country" road in sports mode. some do complain about firm ride, but this is how I like it.
- overall design, i like the smooth lines and location of the functioning parts like door handle, mirrors, plastic fender flare to protect from dings, road debris, and adding overall sporty style. tastefully done rear gate spoiler that extends out to provide better sun protection. I even like the layout of under the hood where changing light bulb can be done in less than a minute and easy access to the DL light bulb with only few clips removed.
- appreciate existing screw holes for easy hitch mounting, easy crossbar mount, channel for door rain guard, tie hook in the cargo area, organizer under the cargo floor, easy to remove/install cargo cover, and etc.
- rear and cargo doors are sized right with decent sized opening. Plenty of capacity for four adults with decent sized cargo space for what I need for commute to work, home depot runs, Costco, camping/hiking, and carpooling. Already did trips to waste facility to trash old sinks/boxes/table/chairs/furnitures/etc without an issue. Rear door opening is wide enough to fit a top of small dinning table and had it laid flat on the floor.
- simple to use/navigate dashboard/switches and entertainment console. Harmon system in Niro is quality for the price-point. select responses are quick and accurate and everything seems to be very easy to use. Screen display is defeatedly quality for price point.
- seats are perfectly sized with decent support. I do wish it was slightly firmer but so far, i am comfortable in it and quality of material above the par for the price point. I do like the leather/cloth combo with cloth insert and practicality in both hot/cold days.
- proximity light around the door handle on this price range must be first? i have seen this on higher priced vehicles but it's a low-cost way to make Niro feel more "expansive" than it really is. if it also had the puddle lights, it would have been a $50k+ luxuary range.
- far exceeding the EPA MPG rating for Touring. consistently averaging low 50's commuting in DC/VA metro area. Physically my average is in-line with FE EPA rating.

* things i want changed
- mustache on both front and rear bumpers. this is so much like older VW design but at much higher level. glad they fixed this on 2020 and newer.
- Navi is like CD/Tape players, Android Auto is a perfect replacement. My wife is the only person I know that still uses the built-in navi [her Lexus] even after my son had shown how to use google map from her phone.
- I like the proximity door handle light but it's missing puddle light. Puddle light does make me feel welcoming and presents as “luxury”.
- In exchange for auto folding side mirrors, i wish I had the memory options. Mine is S Touring and doesn't come with it. Niro is a small vehicle, so I don't see the purpose of having an auto folder side mirror. In a larger vehicle, folding mirror is necessary.

one thing for sure, I don’t remember getting this excited about a vehicle for a while because I didn’t realized I have already spent over $1200 of additions stuff for the Niro only in first two weeks. Granted $500 was on a new crossbar and used Yakima box which I can use on other vehicles but I don’t remember spending anything remotely this fast with my past vehicles including my beloved SC430 White Gold Crystal.
charlesH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Sightland -- much appreciate reading your assessment after the 1st 1K; and your enthusiasm. It's nice to have you a part of this forum and I hope you will continue to contribute. Perhaps your SC430 need as many perceived upgrades?

Like you I tend to throw another $1,000 - $1,5000 at my new cars in to improve" them!

The Touring model's larger tires and wheels are definitely a trade off-- better handling but noiser and rougher ride - sounds like the right choice for you. When I get a Niro I plan to stick w 16" wheels but get lighter aftermarket wheels and upgrade the tires to Continental TrueContact Tour -total package will be about 4 lbs lighter per wheel. I anticipate that that combo will decrease noise, improve ride and handling, be much better for Seattle's wet roads, and not impact the MPG. Also will be looking into larger sway bars which will flatten cornering without any negative effects. I doubt that there will be any reasonably priced aftermarket bars (currently have a Kia dealer checking to see if the recently released, heavier EV has larger sway bars). If so they should flatten the cornering for a reasonable cost with no negative effects.

In addition, I will be getting window vents (again quite handy in the wet PNW), light ceramic tint on front windows, some interior lighting upgrades (such as aftermarket LED in rear hatch to light up that area), and a frameless auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink. Maybe I take a chance on the aftermarket electric hatch mechanism. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32957085716.html

I agree with you that built in Navi is largely unnecessary given how many people use their smart phones when they need direction and they tend to upgrade smart phone more frequently than cars.

While the folding mirrors may be a bit of overkill for a car the size of the Niro, some of us have garages and parking spaces that are quite tight folding mirrors are very nice for those situations.
Johnxyz likes this.

Last edited by Dovidan; 09-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:07 PM

FYI, I pretty much struck out on the idea of larger sway bars. My local Kia parts manager says EV front sway bar ("control arms") are a different part number on the EV, the rear sway bar is same. They said there is no way they can find out about the dimensions. :-(
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
FYI, I pretty much struck out on the idea of larger sway bars. :-(

looks like you are heading towards a hotrod Niro :-)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightland View Post
looks like you are heading towards a hotrod Niro :-)
No, I'm not really interested in speed at this stage of life; more efficiency & comfort oriented. But I do like a tight handling car that doesn't lean a lot on corners nor get blown around by the wind & semis on the the highway. I'll expect I'll miss that aspect of my current VW Golf which has a GTI rear sway bar
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If I want to drive a car for a little fun, I'll borrow my daughter's GTI. But it's getting so hard to get in and out of a low car like that at my age.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
If I want to drive a car for a little fun, I'll borrow my daughter's GTI. But it's getting so hard to get in and out of a low car like that at my age.
act98092: My 2017 Golf Wolfsburg is basically "GTI lite", handles pretty similar but a bit less power. Yes, a fun ride, but with me and the Missus now over 70, its feeling a little low & tight for us too. That is the basic reason we're seriously shopping the Niro - both are practical, efficient hatchbacks that fit our space needs. The Niro sacrifices the fun factor & replaces it with a much better efficiency factor. Enjoyed a 6 trouble free, efficient (40 mpg) years in a Honda Fit before the Golf. Traded the Fit for the Golf for comfort & performance bennies.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Install your own puddle lamps. About $60 parts cost.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightland View Post
- In exchange for auto folding side mirrors, i wish I had the memory options. Mine is S Touring and doesn't come with it. Niro is a small vehicle, so I don't see the purpose of having an auto folder side mirror. In a larger vehicle, folding mirror is necessary.
The Niro plug-in EX Premium has memory function for seat position AND side mirrors. Since my wife and I both drive it, that has been a great convenience feature to be able to just get in and instantly move your chair and mirrors with one touch of a button.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
act98092: My 2017 Golf Wolfsburg is basically "GTI lite", handles pretty similar but a bit less power. Yes, a fun ride, but with me and the Missus now over 70, its feeling a little low & tight for us too. That is the basic reason we're seriously shopping the Niro - both are practical, efficient hatchbacks that fit our space needs. The Niro sacrifices the fun factor & replaces it with a much better efficiency factor. Enjoyed a 6 trouble free, efficient (40 mpg) years in a Honda Fit before the Golf. Traded the Fit for the Golf for comfort & performance bennies.
70's getting closer, but we have a few years yet. I went to the Niro after a year and a half in an Outback, and before that it was an Audi Q5. I just got tired of the monthly gas bill. I wouldn't say the Niro completely sacrifices the fun factor. Slip it into Sport mode, and with the engine running it really has a lot of git up and go. Of course, the MPG will drop, but the fun is still there.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page