Do you use UVO & what for? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
Do you use UVO & what for?

If your car is equipped with UVO, do you use it for anything else besides remote starting & preconditioning the interior temp?
If yes, what do you use it for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:03 AM

Garage
I check my locks. My last car locked when I walked away, so I forget sometimes.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
If your car is equipped with UVO, do you use it for anything else besides remote starting & preconditioning the interior temp?
If yes, what do you use it for?
I use it to check the charge level on my PHEV and sometimes I use the Find My Car feature to estimate when my wife will get home from work if she's driving it.

I've used the remote climate a couple of times but that's not something I need normally.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM

Sending an address from the app to the GPS works well

French Premium NIRO HEV Deep Cerulean
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I mainly use the app to check charge status and on occasion to turn the A/C on. But I hate the way it turns the flashers on when I do that, so I've only done it when the car's in my garage. Of course, can't do that for heat, since that would start the engine.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM

I use mine to keep track of trips.I enjoy this feature found under the locations tab that shows a trip history of the car. Recently I started a new post where KIA help center got my UVO app working again for me. The main reason I wanted it was for the trip logging function. I can also see where the car location function could come in very handy if you parked at a large event and forgot where you parked or you wanted to check on where your teenage drive was.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
I use mine to keep track of trips.I enjoy this feature found under the locations tab that shows a trip history of the car. Recently I started a new post where KIA help center got my UVO app working again for me. The main reason I wanted it was for the trip logging function. I can also see where the car location function could come in very handy if you parked at a large event and forgot where you parked or you wanted to check on where your teenage drive was.
True, but it appears to have some limitations. It only shows the start and end point of the trip, not the actual path taken. Perhaps its for some privacy issue, but I'm sure their data includes the actual route. Unless the car is simply sending the point when the car is started and stopped, with no enroute updates. I suppose that's reasonable.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
True, but it appears to have some limitations. It only shows the start and end point of the trip, not the actual path taken. Perhaps its for some privacy issue, but I'm sure their data includes the actual route. Unless the car is simply sending the point when the car is started and stopped, with no enroute updates. I suppose that's reasonable.
Out of about 10 trips, I think there are two that actually show anything on the map for my car. They don't show the route but they do show where I got speed and other alarms. Picture is attached. I'm lucky if UVO even records one way on my round trips. It seems to always record short trips like moving the car from one side of the street to the other, but misses recording 30 minute drives. My opinion at this time is that that part of the UVO is almost worthless. I'm probably spoiled by the myfordmobile app that records the distance for my C-Max trips with good accuracy. I'm now past 6 years on the Ford app and they haven't charged me anything. UVO may be useful for locating the car but I'm not willing to pay much unless the trip recording function improves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Niro trip.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	5445  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 PM

If you turn on the geo fence alert and set it to a small area, you will get an alert point every 5 minutes on the map when you are outside the fenced area. There may be a way to change the 5 minute interval between alerts but I didn't see it in the geo fence settings.
Johnxyz likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 PM

Garage
A while ago when discussing UVO features on either this forum or somewhere else, I realized there are differences in UVO functionality, depending on which country you live and which model car you have. My UVO doesn't have the location tab (neither on the Web or mobile).

If I forget to lock the car it will send a notification to my Apple Watch after a few minutes. Is rare that this happens, but I find it a very convenient function.
I also use to check the State of Charge without having to go outside to determine if I need to hook the car up on my L2 charger.
I also like the monthly status report send by email (health status), although the power consumption is expressed in % and total power consumption is >100% (last report was 292%). Have no idea how they get to these numbers. Maybe actual power usage / power charged. In that case the Regen is very effective! If anyone can explain the attached numbers, please do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 19.46.34 .jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	5447  

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE carsÖ