Strange scraping noise -- brakes? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By white17lx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Strange scraping noise -- brakes?

I've got a 2019 Niro PHEV built in Feb 2019 with 210 miles on it for a prolonged, 3 day test drive. Today (day two) for about 2-3 miles after taking it out of a parking garage, there was a strange scraping noise that seemed to be coming from under the car. Sounded like a small branch got stuck in the undercarriage & was being dragged under the car -- only it had a higher pitched, metallic sound to it. Sound came and went / waxed and waned. gradually getting louder. I drove about 1.5 miles, including several stops before I got out to look under the car. Saw nothing. Started up again and it was gone. We have driven about 100 since, 90 on freeway with no strange noises.
Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like the breaks sticking. Do you put on the parking breaks on the car? Also if the garage was humid or it had recently rained, there might be that buildup of rust on the breaks. You have to remember that with a hybrid, the car used the motor for most of the breaking and not the physical brakes so rust will form on the outside of the rotor and make that scrape sound until it wears off.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:59 AM

In high humidity areas, brakes can make those exact same noises and is quit common. A surface layer of rust can form on the rotors overnight and will make those exact noises until the rust is worn off by brake applications. If this happens again, here is an easy way of determining if it is the brakes. Get the car up to about 30 and then do some hard braking to bring the car to a stop. Do this a couple of times and the noise should be gone.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:01 PM

brake noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
In high humidity areas, brakes can make those exact same noises and is quit common. A surface layer of rust can form on the rotors overnight and will make those exact noises until the rust is worn off by brake applications. If this happens again, here is an easy way of determining if it is the brakes. Get the car up to about 30 and then do some hard braking to bring the car to a stop. Do this a couple of times and the noise should be gone.
In July I have posted a picture of a rock wedged between the shield and the brake disc which produced strange sounds, please see the link below:

https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/1...-breaks-2.html
Dovidan likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:50 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
There is a new TSB out for the brakes that hit last month. Wonder if it is related to this issue?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...64294-0001.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
There is a new TSB out for the brakes that hit last month. Wonder if it is related to this issue?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...64294-0001.pdf
Sound definitely was not "honking". Now car has 400 miles & the noise has not returned -- so I'm thankful and hoping that it was just a bit of stickiness / rust.

Dan
2019 Snow White Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR
Other car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page