Extreme service shedule - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheSilverFlash

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Extreme service shedule

This to me is the one rather stupid and least explained part of the service schedule. I live in Canada. I bought the car in Canada and have a Kia Niro manual that says on the front from Kia Canada. Yet they put inside under the service manual the section (d) Driving in areas that use salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather. The issue can be said about the use of the "or". I have looked it up and there is not one part of Canada that does not use salt or other corrosive materials. Even Victoria BC has it on the books since 1950 that they can and do use salt for the de-icing of the roads. So effectively speaking if they stick by this the numbers that they published in the manual are meaningless as EVERY car inside of Canada will fall inside of the Extreme designation.

So why do they publish a service guide with numbers that are totally meaningless as they seem to claim that your car in your area falls under the extreme service requirement?

Now I live just outside of Toronto. We do get some cold weather but the average is not anywhere near that of Calgary, or Winnipeg, or Timmins. There, they get really cold weather and lots of snow. There they will use an exceptional amount of salt to clear the roads. Over the past several years we here in Toronto haven't even had a white Christmas, so just about no snow even through December. So why are we under the extreme service requirement? It is a total scam.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 PM

I agree, I baby this thing like no car I've ever owned. Yet because It's mostly city driving, according to the manual its EXTREME! Looks like they do a great job of C.Y.A.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
You can always go the route of least maintenance. There are several members on the forum that have documented that they have over 120,000 miles and have done none of the recommended maintenance save for oil changes every 10,000 miles (which is already longer than the recommended interval). They are pioneering that experiment for the rest of us :-)
Dovidan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I haven't had all the best of luck with contacting KIA Canada and getting through to someone in the support department. In an act of desperation, I did a bad thing. They did give you the option of hitting 2 and dialling by extension, and as most systems are 4 digits long, I eventually found one that worked and go to someone, who I was polite and informed that I had been having real problems getting someone in the customer relations to give me a call back, and that I would be calling him from now on unless he would be so kind as to get someone in the actual customer relations to call me. Well, it worked, and someone did call me back.

The gentleman from Customer Relations confirmed that really there is little to force the Extreme designation, at least in my area if you can at least show you met the regular service level that KIA will not deny you your warranty.

The conversion went around what was it that would make a car need the Extreme service schedule. When it was brought up about Vancouver having far milder weather, I pointed out that it is also on the ocean where there is saltwater, and thus they get a much higher level of salt spray and particulate in the air. I am sure that is the same with California along the oceanfront. I know it is true in Florida that corrosion is a factor for metal objects, so why would it be any different than what cars see in winter time in places that use salt?

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
The conversion went around what was it that would make a car need the Extreme service schedule. When it was brought up about Vancouver having far milder weather, I pointed out that it is also on the ocean where there is saltwater, and thus they get a much higher level of salt spray and particulate in the air. I am sure that is the same with California along the oceanfront. I know it is true in Florida that corrosion is a factor for metal objects, so why would it be any different than what cars see in winter time in places that use salt?
You would only get ocean salt if you parked along the beach full time, and it would only get on the outside of the car for paint damage. Salted roads spray salt under the car and I'd image it can get into the engine compartment that way where there is plenty of unpainted metal to damage.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Good info, thankyou

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page