better navi than Lexus - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sightland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

better navi than Lexus

I tried out oem navi that came with the Niro and I was impressed. Comparison is with í15 RX350 my wife has. 320 miles round trip in total and now I am glad it came with the car and retract what I had said earlier about not needing one because of android auto. Just like Google maps, it has the posted speed and traffic information. One in the Niro is actually HD traffic which is very accurate and close to real time. Best thing, itís not dependent on my phone to get the information. I was able to validate the surrounding traffic from what was showing on the screen. also nice clear and colorful screen which is pleasant to look at. rerouting is very quick and recommendation popup is sort of transparent allowing the map to be visible [huge plus]. I now know better why many auto critiques praise the devices on both Hyundai and Kia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_20190918_162504.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	5521  
Dovidan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:06 PM

Your traffic updates may depend on continuing Sirius music subscription.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Your traffic updates may depend on continuing Sirius music subscription.
Only outside of cities. The OEM navi can utilize terrestrial broadcast HD Radio traffic. Outside of that range however, it does rely on the Sirius satellite-based traffic info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 09-19-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
Only outside of cities. The OEM navi can utilize terrestrial broadcast HD Radio traffic. Outside of that range however, it does rely on the Sirius satellite-based traffic info.
And it works pretty far out in the 'burbs as well. I dropped Sirius after the free trial and still get HD traffic all the way down in Southern MD, 40 miles from DC. YMMV of course.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:26 PM

My only complaint with the nav system is I keep putting a nav point on the map when I'm trying to move the map. Great otherwise. I need to sit in the car and enter in some named addresses so voice recognition can find them for me while driving. Really wish we could use the app to do that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Seems to me my car has asked me if I wanted to load phone contacts (presumably for hands free calling as I don't have nav). But perhaps CarPlay can be controlled from the head unit for maps as well.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
New CarPlay is here btw and it mimics the home dashboard of the Kia infotainment (nav on the left with radio widgets on the right). It looks great especially on the 8" screen, though I suspect the 2020 Niro's wider 10" screen would look even better.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
New CarPlay is here btw and it mimics the home dashboard of the Kia infotainment (nav on the left with radio widgets on the right). It looks great especially on the 8" screen, though I suspect the 2020 Niro's wider 10" screen would look even better.
I have to wait for the FAA to test iOS 13 before we are allowed to update. More than once an update breaks something we use, so they make us wait. I've seen the screenshots and am looking forward to getting it. As long as I carry my government cell phone, it's silly for me to carry my personal one as well. But I will fire it up and install the update on it.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page