PHEV charging from engine when Battery full? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

PHEV charging from engine when Battery full?

Hi all,

I've had my Niro 2017 phev for about a week now and really pleased with it, but have noticed when starting in the morning with EV mode selected and the battery full showing 30 miles of range, it runs in HV mode with the engine and displays "charging" on the display where you can see which energy source is being used.
This is for the first few miles?
Is this usual and if so what are the circumstances when ev mode cant be used when the battery is full other than excessive acceleration?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:51 AM

Garage
If you are using heat or sport mode, the ICE will run. Also, steep inclines, but that is similar to acceleration. I haven't seen it happen, but even downhill, for engine braking purposes, I am told.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

I'm not in sport mode, so must be heat purposes, do you mean cabin a/c heating or engine/motor temperature?
Thanks.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:24 AM

Garage
I was referring to cabin heating. Unsure if it will start the engine for engine/motor heating, but it might.

Drew
2019 PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If the battery is full and you are doing some heavy regen (like I do, pull out of the garage and immediately go down a steep hill), the engine will start to provide some compression braking. It's not very effective in my opinion, but that's the way they've programmed it. Since the battery is full, there's nowhere for the regen energy to go, so they fire up the ICE to help with the deceleration. But yes, if the HVAC is calling for cabin heat the ICE will also start, as the PHEV doesn't have any sort of resistive heat, nor a heat pump.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
...as the PHEV doesn't have any sort of resistive heat, nor a heat pump.
[nitpick] Actually the PHEV does have a small (1kW maybe?) resistive heater to provide quicker warmup. Not nearly as effective as the one in my '10 Golf TDI, but it's definitely there. [/nitpick]

https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/9...html#post64773
atc98092 likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM

On 12/13/18 Roadkill said: The part exists.. https://kiaparts.penceauto.com/p/Kia...7192G2000.html

Not sure if he means that the part "exists" (is installed in every PHEV) or if it "exists" as an option that can be installed for those who are interested in having a resistance heating element in their PHEV. Can anyone clarify if it is std OEM equip in PHEVs or optional? Thanks

Dan
2019 Snow White Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR
Other car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:18 PM

If it is in the wiring diagram, it should be there. The effect is small enough I doubt you would be able to readily tell absent going through the wiring with a volt/ammeter.
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
On 12/13/18 Roadkill said: The part exists.. https://kiaparts.penceauto.com/p/Kia...7192G2000.html

Not sure if he means that the part "exists" (is installed in every PHEV) or if it "exists" as an option that can be installed for those who are interested in having a resistance heating element in their PHEV. Can anyone clarify if it is std OEM equip in PHEVs or optional? Thanks
Well, that link to KiaParts doesn't work.

EDIT: Ah, had to remove some junk from the search box once I got there. Here's what it says it fits:

This product fits 8 vehicle variants.
Kia: 1 models, 8 variants for 2019.

Ya know what, I think this is the blower resistor that is used to adjust the fan speed. I don't think it's a heating element at all.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

Last edited by atc98092; 09-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Well, that link to KiaParts doesn't work.

EDIT: Ah, had to remove some junk from the search box once I got there. Here's what it says it fits:

This product fits 8 vehicle variants.
Kia: 1 models, 8 variants for 2019.

Ya know what, I think this is the blower resistor that is used to adjust the fan speed. I don't think it's a heating element at all.
Nah, the description is weird, although a heating element is technically a resistor.

Here's the component diagram. It's an itty bitty heater.

Kia Niro : Heater Unit Components and components location : Heater

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV