Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Oil filter # changed

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  atc98092 
#1 ·
I went to the dealer to prepare for first oil change in the Niro and veloster [my son] and filter number changed to 35504 to 35505 for Niro. From what i know 35504 fits/called for almost all 4cyl Hyundai and Kia? in any case 35504 is still the part number as of today for none turbo veloster but Niro now calls for 35505. Parts guy required VIN for my Niro and gave me 35505. I wonder if filter design was modified for Hybrid duty? In any cases, you can order the same filter from Amazon for less than $7 and free shipping for Prime member or ordering more than $35.

I have only been using OEM filters in the past 10 years after reading about modern engines needing specific filter design for the specific duty/engine. price is about the same or cheaper so I am sticking with oem filters.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Even $8.49 for the filter from the dealer isn't a bad price. The filter for my GTI was around $13 when I changed the oil last month, and that's buying it at O'Reilly Auto. My Dodge pickup is only $5. O'Reilly shows the 35504 for my Kia as the OEM filter, and they want $12 for it. They don't list the 35505.

Reactions: frhurst@comcast.net
#5 ·
That is absolutely mind blowing that you can but an OEM filter at the dealer for less money than a typical auto parts store. Definitely have to remember that, as I'm only about a month away from my first scheduled change. If the rest of the dealer pricing is in line, I may just let them do it.

#8 ·
i wonder if they ran out of 35505 so used 35504 on yours? from what everyone is noting, 35505 is the correct filter called for HEV/PHEV and it may have internals specific for hybrid duties? they are both physically same from outside [capacity/ring size etc].

#10 ·
official, 35504 came out of my Niro mfg date 10/2018. my Niro set on dealer lot for 10 months so oil was little on the brownish and very dirty after 3k. with 35505 and M1 0w-20, engine sounds less coarse? drained after engine set overnight and with filter changed, it took exactly 4 quarts. I thought it would take little more considering it calls for 4.3 quarts according to manual.

#14 ·
My preference is to check the oil level when warm, but after it's had 10-15 minutes or so for oil to drip back down to the pan. Little closer to actual running conditions with oil splashed all over the place. Completely cold it's had time for more of the oil to make its way back to the pan, potentially making a higher level reading than the realistic amount of oil available while running. I'm not saying it's better one way or the other. Just what I've done for my 50+ years wrenching on cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.