Is full synthetic oil really needed in 2018 Kia Niro LX hybrid? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Is full synthetic oil really needed in 2018 Kia Niro LX hybrid?

I want to buy eOilChange coupons. But they only apply to regular oil. My dealer says its $50 extra (on top of coupon cost) to get full synthetic oil which 2018 Kia Niro LX Hybrid needs. Is that true? Does this car really need full synthetic? Or can it live with regular?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 PM

About $20 at Walmart. Buy there and give to dealer (or just change at Walmart). No, you don't need it, but every bit of efficiency helps.
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikhanshu View Post
I want to buy eOilChange coupons. But they only apply to regular oil. My dealer says its $50 extra (on top of coupon cost) to get full synthetic oil which 2018 Kia Niro LX Hybrid needs. Is that true? Does this car really need full synthetic? Or can it live with regular?
I have the same model as you. When I got my first oil change I wanted the dealer to use 5W-30 oil. The mechanic was quite insistent that the Niro required 0-20 Full synthetic and that's the only oil that they would put in it. That's how they come from the factory also.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 AM

Most of the dealers I've encountered offered to provide your first oil change for free if you purchased the car from them. If they didn't offer that to you when you purchased your car, you might call the service outfit and ask if they offer that deal.

I paid $37.63 for an oil change at my local Kia dealer (in Southern California) last month, I think the oil change six months before that cost about the same. I have not found anything in the owner's manual to indicate that synthetic is required, but the service writer at the dealer always tells me that it is required and that they will use synthetic for my oil change, and I figure: what the heck: I just spent a wad of cash to purchase this car, so why wouldn't I want to use synthetic?

At that price, it's worth it to me to get it done at the dealer (whether it's synthetic or not), and I think they know that: they don't necessarily make money on the oil change, but they probably figure that they can build customer loyalty and get me "trained" to use them for other services (and they're probably right) if they consistently sell me oil changes at a reasonable price. I could save a few dollars by doing it myself or taking it to an independent shop, but is the $10 that I'd save really worth it to me? No: I like not having to hassle with waste oil, not having to clean up oil spills in my driveway, and having a clearly established record with Kia and CarFax that I changed my oil on a regular schedule. That record might pay off someday down the road if I need warranty service or if I want to sell the car.

But there have been some bumps along the way in my relationship with this particular dealer. They told me over the phone on two separate occasions that they couldn't work on my car (the guy who told me that was ill informed). When I showed up, they told me on the first occasion that my oil change would cost more than $60 and on the second occasion that it would cost more than $70. I told them on both occasions that it struck me as a steep price (and I thought to myself that I would never come back to them for another oil change), but then when the job was done they told me that it was actually about $47. And then I applied the $10 coupon they had given to me to get it down to $37. I've learned to make a habit of asking for that coupon for the next oil change when I pay for the current oil change.

One of the other advantages of taking it to the dealer to get an oil change is that they can check for issues that they are authorized to repair free of charge to you (paid by Kia), and which you might not know about.

Purchasing your own filter and oil and then taking it to someone else to do the work can also be a viable option. The Kia dealer might not go along with it, but the local independent shop might. But you need to understand that they make a portion of their income on the markup for those components, and if you deprive them of the opportunity to do that, then they are likely to charge you more for the "service" aspect of the bill.

Hope this info helps.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 AM

Unfortunately my dealer is pretty far and a pain to get to. They had told me that they were giving me a few free oil changes and they didnít give me anything in writing even though I asked the manager who told me about it to send me an email. I didnít bother to go back. I wasnít that happy with the whole sales experience either.

2018 HEV Niro EX Metal Stream with Advanced Tech Package
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM

The oil change for the Niro is ridiculously easy.

DIY with specials at Advanced Auto is around $30 total.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:06 PM

The manual for US models specifies 0W-20 oil. Nothing about synthetic, but I suspect you will not be able to find 0W-20 in anything but synthetic.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikhanshu View Post
Does this car really need full synthetic? Or can it live with regular?
All Niro thermal engine comes from production with 0w20 Synthetic oil! so the anwser is yes!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (15500 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Synthetic oil

One thing to keep in mind with using synthetic oil is that you are not required to do the oil change as often than if you were using regular oil. The manual states that oil changes are required at 7,500 miles or 6 months. So if you look at it that way it costs the same than if you were using regular oil twice as often.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 01:21 AM

My first oil change was free. When I asked if they were using synthetic he said no. The service mgr claims Niros come with semi-synthetic from the factory. He said he would make it full synthetic but at extra cost. I don't remember exactly but around sixty bucks. I passed thinking I'll do the next one myself full synthetic, about $30.