PHEV engine running in EV mode... - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

PHEV engine running in EV mode...

Hello fellow Niroites. I’m new to the flock and have recently purchased a 2017 Niro PHEV (ex fleet as had 30k on the clock). My reason for opting for the PHEV is that I am largely an urban driver (based in SE London UK) and 95% of my journeys are local. School run. Shopping etc. However, I am surprised to find that on a full battery the engine still fires up most mornings. I was aware that the engine may kick in to contribute to heating etc. but it’s even running when I stop at the lights, pedestrian crossings etc. Even a modern frugal petrol car would cut the engine at a standstill. Is this normal when the car is on its first outing of the day??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

Possibly it is normal. As you may know the engine is how the cabin heat is developed. If your outside ambient temperature is below your cabin temperature setting the engine will run to heat the coolant to develop heat to bring the cabin up to temperature. This is normal behavior for the car. There really is no way around this if you wand to keep your windshield from fogging up and to keep your passengers comfortable.

Fully charge your vehicle then monitor the overall trip mpg while driving. If within its electric range it should be well over 100 mpg. Your fuel efficiency is the best indicator that everything is working as expected.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that... I will keep track of the MPG on short trips around town and see how it goes... Enjoying everything else about it though!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Garage
Also, if your car has them, the heated seats and steering wheel are great and at least for short trips allow me to keep the heat off even when it's around 40F / 4C.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I do have those wonderful luxuries so will certainly enjoy trying...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The only way to ensure the engine doesn't come on is to turn the HVAC off completely. Otherwise if there's a call for heat, the engine starts regardless if the car's moving. However, when it does fire for heat, it runs at near idle and doesn't propel the car at all. So you still see outstanding MPG numbers as long as you keep moving. At a standstill, your MPG will drop, same as any other ICE car that isn't moving.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. Just drove 1 mile to the station without any heating or AC. Engine noise all through the 5 min journey even once parked at station. MPG 31.5... 😕
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Did you have it in sport mode? If you didn't there is something wrong with your car.

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Nope. Definitely in standard EV mode. What a pain. Thankfully purchased through a main KIA dealer with full guarantee etc. Still deeply frustrating though... Will let you folks know what they say! Thanks for your posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJWard View Post
Hmm. Just drove 1 mile to the station without any heating or AC. Engine noise all through the 5 min journey even once parked at station. MPG 31.5... 😕
One last thing that came up in another thread. There is an Auto Defog feature that could be the culprit. That will turn on if the car senses moisture in the cabin air to prevent window fogging. That would result in a call for heat as well even if the HVAC was off.

I love a lot of the tech features of the Niro but the needlessly complicated HVAC control system is not one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Defog.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	5593  
Johnxyz likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV