KIA Niro PHEV to have less Trunk Space? - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

KIA Niro PHEV to have less Trunk Space?

So according to this article:

Kia Niro PHEV plug-in hybrid added to range | Carbuyer

"To enable the high-capacity battery to be fitted, the PHEV has a smaller petrol tank than the regular hybrid – down from 45 to 43 litres. Boot space is also reduced, from 427 to 324 litres."

I don't know how those measurements compare in US measurements to the current space in a Hybrid Niro, but a drop in over 100 seems like a lot of lost space.
fernando likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:12 PM

The smaller gas tank is only like a 25 mile gas range loss, so it's abut the same with the additional battery size.

It's about 4100 more expensive than the most expensive regular niro build. But with the federal tax credit and potential california rebate, if it's renewed, it could potentially be much cheaper.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 AM

Here is the info so far from Kia USA. It appears the car will only come with the 16 inch rims and will come in 3 trims, LX, EX, and EX Premium.
https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ve...plug-in-hybrid

A picture of the rear in the plug in vs the regular. It looks like you loose the right storage and maybe the under compartment, but overall, it looks about the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upcoming-vehicles_nirophev_2018_8--kia-1920x-jpg.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	2114   Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery_niro_2017_interior_versatility--kia-1280x-jpg.jpg
Views:	2251
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	2122  
extech67 likes this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
It's about 4100 more expensive than the most expensive regular niro build.

Where do you see US pricing for the PHEV? I'm most interested in knowing the trim-for-trim upcharge for the Plug-In ... specifically for the lowest trim level.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alannyny View Post
Where do you see US pricing for the PHEV? I'm most interested in knowing the trim-for-trim upcharge for the Plug-In ... specifically for the lowest trim level.
I forgot to mention that the price difference was in the UK. Prices for US trims are not currently known.
alannyny likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 03:05 PM

Niro PHEV cargo space, no place for a spare tire

Got my Niro plug-in a few days ago.

Cargo space appears to be almost the same. There is a small bump in the passenger side panel of the cargo area where you can access the accessory battery in its new location compared to the regular hybrid.

The big surprise was that they filled the spare tire well under the cargo floor with a lithium battery. I had thought that this battery was supposed to be under the rear seat. I was about to pull the trigger to order a spare tire kit. Luckily I actually looked first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie411 View Post
So according to this article:

Kia Niro PHEV plug-in hybrid added to range | Carbuyer

"To enable the high-capacity battery to be fitted, the PHEV has a smaller petrol tank than the regular hybrid – down from 45 to 43 litres. Boot space is also reduced, from 427 to 324 litres."

I don't know how those measurements compare in US measurements to the current space in a Hybrid Niro, but a drop in over 100 seems like a lot of lost space.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestuff View Post

Cargo space appears to be almost the same. There is a small bump in the passenger side panel of the cargo area where you can access the accessory battery in its new location compared to the regular hybrid.

The big surprise was that they filled the spare tire well under the cargo floor with a lithium battery. I had thought that this battery was supposed to be under the rear seat. I was about to pull the trigger to order a spare tire kit. Luckily I actually looked first.
Congrats on the PHEV. I have a few questions: Aside from Tesla stations...have you run into any compatibility issues with charging stations? What connector is used?

Also: Here in Chicago...it's cold in winter and hot in summer. Does it pay to run PHEV if climate control affects the EV mode? I'm so close to making a decision but need to know so I can decide between PHEV or Hybrid
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:27 PM

I have not been using public charging stations since the Kia supplied Level 1 charger will fully charge the PHEV overnight. Electric range is 26 miles, more than enough for my daily usage.

To the best of my knowledge, there are Tesla style charging stations, and then there are all the other Level 2 units which conform to the same US industry standard. There may be differences in available charging rates, but the charging interface standard provides for automatic adaptation to the different rates. PHEVs do not use or need the high speed DC Level 3 chargers since their batteries are smaller than EV only vehicles.

In the Niro, cabin heat always comes from the gasoline engine. No electric heat other than the heated seats and steering wheel if you have those options. I find the seat heater faster than cabin heat and more useful on my short commute.

The A/C cooling compressor is electrically driven, so running in HEV mode simply helps keep the battery topped off. Again, for my short commute topping off the battery is not needed and I intend to run in EV mode most of the time.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chis2k View Post
Here in Chicago...it's cold in winter and hot in summer. Does it pay to run PHEV if climate control affects the EV mode? I'm so close to making a decision but need to know so I can decide between PHEV or Hybrid
Really, anyone's personal decision depends on their daily mileage. If it is less than 20 miles (which might be pushing EV range in the winter), or less than 40 because you can charge at work, it will work for you. A plug in that can pre-condition the climate might be better suited for you. I'd think the Niro PHEV would be appealing in more temperate climates than Chicago. If you had a heated garage, the Niro might work for you.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestuff View Post

Oh crap. I just negotiated a lease on a 2018 Plug-In, but I haven't picked up the car yet. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't come with an emergency donut. I'm on my 4th set of tires in 8 years on an AWD Honda CR-V (one of the reasons I'm trading it, the other is sucky mpgs) and being without even that tiny bit of security is just tempting fate. Maybe I'll get the one for the regular Niro anyway and let it sit in the hatch behind the back seats. It's not like I'll keep much back there except a pile of reusable grocery bags anyway.

I knew this car was too good to be true...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page