2018 Kia Niro when in Reverse makes Beeping noise from Front of vehicle - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

2018 Kia Niro when in Reverse makes Beeping noise from Front of vehicle

When I put vehicle in Reverse you hear and beeping noise. At first I thought it was a backup warning you hear especially when a Commercial Vehicle is backing. I thought this was nice to have on the Niro. However, with my wife in the Car, foot on brake, vehicle in reverse....I walked to the back of the car and the sound was not coming from the rear. What I discovered with the car in reverse the Beeping noise is coming from the front of the Car. Took vehicle to dealer, they had no explanation, to them it made no sense....if its a Backup warning....the sound should be coming from Rear, not from the Front.

Anyone have the answer...why the sound is coming from front and not rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRisk18 View Post
When I put vehicle in Reverse you hear and beeping noise. At first I thought it was a backup warning you hear especially when a Commercial Vehicle is backing. I thought this was nice to have on the Niro. However, with my wife in the Car, foot on brake, vehicle in reverse....I walked to the back of the car and the sound was not coming from the rear. What I discovered with the car in reverse the Beeping noise is coming from the front of the Car. Took vehicle to dealer, they had no explanation, to them it made no sense....if its a Backup warning....the sound should be coming from Rear, not from the Front.

Anyone have the answer...why the sound is coming from front and not rear
Can you hear it when you're behind the car? If so, why does it matter where it's coming from?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Garage
Mine is so low I can't hear it at all, nice! I hope they don't try to fix it when I come in for my first service!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

The beep is quite noticeable when standing in front of the Car; very faint when, at the rear of the car....almost so that no one walking across the rear of the car would even maybe notice it. If it is meant to warn a person walking behind the car.....the placement of the parts that emit the Noise should be on the rear of the car, not the front.

My Post was to confirm that others confirm that the beeping sound when vehicle is put in reverse.....the parts emitting the sound is installed in the front of the car.....and my car just was not an exception. The dealership basically said they had no idea why Kia designed and mounted the Backup warning parts on the front, but that is what they did.....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Hey ...maybe it's to warn the driver that the car is, in fact, in reverse [notwithstanding the backup camera is displayed] as there are many accidents with drivers applying the gas and going backwards instead of forward...
Kia is always a step ahead of the pack when it comes to nice stuff [even when it ain't obvious].
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Good point; but wouldn't you think locating the device that is making the sound be inside the car, not outside in the front of the car.

Surely there is good reason where Kia placed the emitting sound device when vehicle is put in reverse, would be nice if by chance a Kia Tech agent would stumble across this Posting and provide the reasoning/logic of this warning alert and it placement outside in front of the Niro........
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRisk18 View Post
Good point; but wouldn't you think locating the device that is making the sound be inside the car, not outside in the front of the car.
The beeps are not for the driver, even though there are some drivers who might really need this feature, it's for the hoards of "Parking Lot Cows" who meander through parking lots willy nilly not paying attention, without a care in the world. When you are backing out of a space this beeping in meant to alert the bovine bozos with a warning beep alert that signifies, either stop and let the car proceed, or get out of the way! Of course nobody has done a study to determine if the cows actually react to the alert, or just shrug it off as not applying to them!!!!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

But, wouldn't it have made more sense to locate the sound devices on the rear of the car rather than the front? The Beeping is very noticeable standing in front of the Vehicles, hardly noticeable when standing to the rear.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Reading Kia Niro manual found this:

Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS)
The Virtual Engine Sound System generates engine sound for pedestrians to hear vehicle sound because there is limited sound while motor power is used.
• The VESS may be turned ON or OFF by pressing the VESS button. (if equipped)
• If the vehicle is moving at low speed, the VESS will operate.
• When the gear is shifted to R (Reverse), an additional warning sound will be heard.

My 2018 Niro does not have the VESS on/off Button. I will "assume" the VESS is always on when vehicle is moving forward....but so far I have never heard it.....and for the purposes of Pedestrians hearing vehicle at low speeds...sound should emanate from the Front, but, when placing vehicle in reverse (as written in Manual) this sound is barely noticeable to a pedestrian walking by rear of vehcile.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 PM

I have had people walk into my Fusion Hybrid because it made no noise.

Any noise is better than none, I guess.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page