Bluetooth and No Text Message Feature - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:05 PM

The idea is that it is safer not reading or typing texts. You may not find a new care that allows it at all as they could be liable in an accident. Plug phone in and AA should read the texts to you.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

That is also the way it performed in my 2014 and 2016 vehicles connected via Bluetooth, you could have the Text read out loud....if you were moving and tried to display, it would not unless the vehicle was at a complete stop and veh was in Park. So the prior vehicles worked the same way as AA....without the need to plug in and out....AA however allows you to speak a reply....

2018 Kia Niro EX; Crimson Red
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRisk18 View Post
Gonna Re-surface this one for 2019......

Anyone that purchased the 2019 Kia Niro...did Kia make any changes with Bluetooth.....my gripe with the 2018....unable to get Text Messages on Car's display unless I have Android Auto connected....which I feel is a hassle having to plug and Unplug my Phone if I use Android Auto. My past vehicles going back to 2014...other brand of vehicle; those cars used Bluetooth and displayed Text Messages, both even spoke the messages.
I haven't had mine long enough to know what happens with a text message. I haven't received one yet while driving. The Subaru that I just traded in would read my text messages to me, the same way Siri does if I'm using Car Play. I'm using my job-issued iPhone 6S, but I do have an Galaxy S8. I just don't carry it since I have to have the work phone available.

I did notice that in my Bluetooth settings on my phone that "Enable Notifications" is an available option under the Kia connection, same as I had on the Subaru. In theory that should mean the car can read them to me. I'll try to remember to ask my wife to text me while driving home and see what happens.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

The Bluetooth gives you only Phone...at least that is the way it is in my 2018 Niro EX. The music that plays when a call is incoming...well...its strange. I would prefer just a normal Ring Tone not a Musical Tune. One other reason I don't like using Android Auto besides plugging it in and out...is, the Plug on the phones can be damaged over time....I even went with Wireless charging to avoid using the Plug......

2018 Kia Niro EX; Crimson Red
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, it appears the 2019 version offers text messages via Bluetooth. I had one pop on my screen just as I was plugging my phone into the USB port, so I ended up responding via Siri. I'll try again today when I go home to test that more closely. Had to make an emergency run to the hospital for a family member, so I couldn't wait to test the Kia interface for the message.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Well, it appears the 2019 version offers text messages via Bluetooth. I had one pop on my screen just as I was plugging my phone into the USB port, so I ended up responding via Siri. I'll try again today when I go home to test that more closely. Had to make an emergency run to the hospital for a family member, so I couldn't wait to test the Kia interface for the message.
I have now received numerous text messages via the Kia interface, not using Car Play at all. The reading accuracy seems quite good. Of course, to reply I have to use Siri, as it doesn't appear the Kia supports sending text messages via voice.

Dan

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I have now received numerous text messages via the Kia interface, not using Car Play at all. The reading accuracy seems quite good. Of course, to reply I have to use Siri, as it doesn't appear the Kia supports sending text messages via voice.
Same thing with me! works #1. it can display the message and can make the system read them with voice.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

Last edited by lafe005; 05-19-2019 at 09:07 PM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Android Auto supports voice reply to texts. Obviously you have to plug the phone in to make this work but it does and is pretty accurate.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Android Auto supports voice reply to texts. Obviously you have to plug the phone in to make this work but it does and is pretty accurate.
iOS does as well, and you don't have to plug the phone in. My guess is Android will do the same. Just press and hold the voice button on the steering wheel, and you bypass the car's voice system and connect to the phone's voice system, Siri on an iPhone. Then you use it as you would if using the phone in your hand.

Dan

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:00 PM

I bought my 19 at the end of Nov 18 and I am in this thread trying to figure out how to get my texts so, no, it still won't work. I will try through the totally (so far) unnecessary AA, since California doesn't want me t touch the phone behind the wheel. Still love the car, though.

2019 EX with Advanced Tech in Northern California

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page