Bluetooth and No Text Message Feature - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Let me understand...are you writing to advise if I press and Hold the Stering Wheel Button, have Android Auto open on my Android Phone, that I don't need to Plug in my Android Phone and all the features ...Text, etc...will work thru my Kia's Display/Voice?

If so, once disconnected, ie, I close AA on my Phone, the Kia Voice system will return to Normal Car operation, ie, voice change radio stations, make a call, etc?

2018 Kia Niro EX; Crimson Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRisk18 View Post
Let me understand...are you writing to advise if I press and Hold the Steering Wheel Button, have Android Auto open on my Android Phone, that I don't need to Plug in my Android Phone and all the features ...Text, etc...will work thru my Kia's Display/Voice?

If so, once disconnected, ie, I close AA on my Phone, the Kia Voice system will return to Normal Car operation, ie, voice change radio stations, make a call, etc?
My iPhone works this way, so I assume an Android will as well. And AA/CarPlay itself only opens when you plug the phone in, so no need to close it if you've only accessed it via Bluetooth. Everything else you list is exactly how it works with my iPhone.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

I got a new Andriod phone (Google Pixel 2XL) and i did notice that an update to Andriod Auto has come down the playstore pipes. Now I don't know if this adds something new to the AA we have in our Niro. I have a 2018 .. so I don't know if there is a different version of firmware in the 2019 models.

However, the new AA has options for AA over Bluetooth. There is with my new phone now and option to auto-launch AA when your phone connects to your car's BlueTooth. Now I don't remember if I had this turned on when the update came down, but turned it back off as I think it will launch the app, but won't close it for you when you disconnect from your car's BlueTooth.

There is also now a section for enabling wireless screen projection. I am running 4.2.591444

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Didn't work for me, or at least I could not figure how to make it work. I did see the AA setting use Bluetooth when connected...turning it to ON did nothing. Using my 2018 Screen, went to all Apps...the AA symbol was grey. I connected and used this about a year ago...so I know AA works. As I recall when I last used AA with my SamSung S6....when I connected the cable....with AA open....either the AA app on the car automatically lite, or, I had to tap it. Now, Nothing.

2018 Kia Niro EX; Crimson Red
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

This is the way that mine works too. I have the 2018 EX and it will only give me Andriod Auto when plugged into the USB port on the front under the screen. I mentioned the AA Bluetooth option as it might be that some future version will link via BlueTooth, or that some of the messaging functions from the voice prompt switch on the steering wheel might work? I have not really had any time to experiment or talk with my dealership to see if there are new features in the 2019 that will use this or something planned for a future update.

GTA - Canada.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I just took my S8 to the garage and paired it to my Niro. Android Auto did not auto-launch, so I don't know if Kia supports AA over Bluetooth. I did not plug the cable in. I also tested making a long press on the steering wheel voice button to see if Google Assistant would launch the same way Siri does on my iPhone. Unfortunately, the screen displayed a message that said it only works with an iPhone over Bluetooth, but if connected via USB it would work with both Android and iOS.

So, that's the way the 2019 Niro works. The only way to voice control your Android phone is when it's connected via USB. With an iPhone, you can use Siri over Bluetooth. This was not what I expected, as I expected it to work the same way with both.

But I can confirm that the car would receive and read text messages from my S8 over Bluetooth. When I have more time I'll try using the USB connection and see how AA works compared to Apple CarPlay.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by atc98092; 05-25-2019 at 10:51 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I just took my S8 to the garage and paired it to my Niro. Android Auto did not auto-launch, so I don't know if Kia supports AA over Bluetooth. I did not plug the cable in. I also tested making a long press on the steering wheel voice button to see if Google Assistant would launch the same way Siri does on my iPhone. Unfortunately, the screen displayed a message that said it only works with an iPhone over Bluetooth, but if connected via USB it would work with both Android and iOS.

So, that's the way the 2019 Niro works. The only way to voice control your Android phone is when it's connected via USB. With an iPhone, you can use Siri over Bluetooth. This was not what I expected, as I expected it to work the same way with both.

But I can confirm that the car would receive and read text messages from my S8 over Bluetooth. When I have more time I'll try using the USB connection and see how AA works compared to Apple CarPlay.
Kia guy here.

Google doesn't support Google Assistant over Bluetooth with the voice command button with the current version of Android Auto, though it may be a feature on the forthcoming new version of AA this fall.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
Kia guy here.

Google doesn't support Google Assistant over Bluetooth with the voice command button with the current version of Android Auto, though it may be a feature on the forthcoming new version of AA this fall.

The question that everyone will ask. Is this a new feature that will be part of a 2020 or later version of the Niro. Or a Firmware upgrade that will be available to past versions of the Nero?

GTA - Canada.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
The question that everyone will ask. Is this a new feature that will be part of a 2020 or later version of the Niro. Or a Firmware upgrade that will be available to past versions of the Nero?
Sounds more like an update to Android Auto. I don't think anything in the car will require an update to make it work. If it works now with an iPhone, the ability is already there.

Dan

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
Sounds more like an update to Android Auto. I don't think anything in the car will require an update to make it work. If it works now with an iPhone, the ability is already there.
You've got that correct! It's an Android Auto *and* Google Assistant update that's required, and with future hardware, some auto makers are demoing a fully wireless AA experience. No word on when to expect Kia to follow suit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page