Bluetooth and No Text Message Feature - Kia Niro Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Bluetooth and No Text Message Feature

So call me Old Fashion.....I am annoyed that Kia took away the ability to receive Text messages via Bluetooth. For me, I just want to know on my info screen a text message is received, and, either have it displayed or select Text to Speech. Kia, at least in the Niro, moved the ability to know Text messages are received to the Android Auto App. I know, now you are alerted when text messages are rec'd, you can speak a reply.....basically have an ongoing Text conversation without taking your attention off driving, or maybe! I don't cherish plugging my phone into the USB Port each time I get into the Car....I have just liked getting into my prior cars, Bluetooth connects.....no need to connect a cable, and if a new text is received, the screen alerts you and you can have it read to you. The Bluetooth connection lets me make/receive calls, stream Music, and other things, but will not handle Text messages unless I plug the phone into the USB port.....Bummer for Mr Old fashion....me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:13 PM

Bluetooth is certainly not old fashioned, plugging in is much older. Personally, I like the extra charge (no new fangled wireless charging for me).

Your phone can alert you to texts and can read them to you if you cannot or won't plug in.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM

I agree with Telerisk18 in that the Niro took a step back by not supporting Bluetooth reading of messages without Android Auto. I had this feature on my past 3 vehicles and got used to it. I do not want to plug my phone into the USB port every time I drive. I have a USB stick in that port which is where I have my own music files and not keep them on the phone.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 12:54 PM

I totally agree with the opinions above which lament the loss of BT text ability, this is one of the reasons I cannot see keeping my Niro past the initial 3/36000 warranty point. Not willing to risk a $1600 loss if this foolishly designed proprietary stereo dies.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:39 AM

This is totally a step backwards in infotainment in 2018. I have had my Niro for three weeks and not having the infotainment unit alert you of a text message has been a struggle to adjust. Already made it home more than once and had to go back out because I missed messages. They should have just eliminated bluetooth altogether if they want you to use Apple/Android via USB to be able to have a text alert. Very disappointed and in 2018 with all of the technology packed into this vehicle they fell flat on their faces with this one. At a minimum there should be an option to turn this feature on if the user desires.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiroSoNJ View Post
I had this feature on my past 3 vehicles and got used to it. I do not want to plug my phone into the USB port every time I drive. I have a USB stick in that port which is where I have my own music files and not keep them on the phone.

Was the 3 last car a Kia model ? Did the old UVO radio system had this feature ? Never seen this before.

The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (6600 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 PM

I had this with my Ford Edge. It was a microsoft entertainment system so it didn't work half the time, but bluetooth was one of those bits that actually did work. It was rather good to get that ping and it would even read it out to you.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 PM

CarPlay has Bluetooth capabilities in the latest OS so I assume it will also be available in AA soon. But you will also need a new car that is compatible. Why is plugging into USB so darned difficult? Especially if you really need text alerts? You can also keep your phone in your pocket where a vibrating alert allows you to peek at your handset. You can still do a voice reply for better safety if you must reply while driving.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
CarPlay has Bluetooth capabilities in the latest OS so I assume it will also be available in AA soon. But you will also need a new car that is compatible. Why is plugging into USB so darned difficult? Especially if you really need text alerts? You can also keep your phone in your pocket where a vibrating alert allows you to peek at your handset. You can still do a voice reply for better safety if you must reply while driving.
Because, as NiroSoNJ, stated, sometimes the USB port is being used. And why is it so darn difficult for Kia not to incorporate this old technology? I agree, plugging the phone in each time is a pain when Bluetooth is available.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Gonna Re-surface this one for 2019......

Anyone that purchased the 2019 Kia Niro...did Kia make any changes with Bluetooth.....my gripe with the 2018....unable to get Text Messages on Car's display unless I have Android Auto connected....which I feel is a hassle having to plug and Unplug my Phone if I use Android Auto. My past vehicles going back to 2014...other brand of vehicle; those cars used Bluetooth and displayed Text Messages, both even spoke the messages.

The other gripe; oncoming Phone calls, (Bluetooth)...instead of Vehicle sound thru speaker ringing like a normal phone some silly music plays and you have no way to change that sound.....

2018 Kia Niro EX; Crimson Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page