2018 Kia Niro Trip and Average MPG Displays - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

2018 Kia Niro Trip and Average MPG Displays

Seems I have Posted several topics; given my vehicle is less than than 30 days old, I have questions/comments for discussion.

I also would hope that Staff from Kia Motors monitor this forum for valuable feedback and to read Owners inquiries.

The Trip A and B Menus. While I very much like having 2 Trip displays, 1 I reset at every Gas Fill-up (Manually) the other from day 1 of taking ownership of my 2018 Kia Niro EX, I don't see the value of the information programmed into these Trip displays. Of what value is the average Speed based on Time vehicle has had the ignition on? Mine shows my average speed a 14 MPH....because the Ignition must have been left on during shipment...as the Hours on are considerable higher than the hours I have driven the vehicle since taking ownership.

Perhaps more useful Trip A and B information would be,
* Total Miles driven since last reset (which is what it has)
* Miles Per Gallon since last Reset
* Miles driven on EV and Miles Driver on Gas Engine.

Realizing that it is a personal preference of what information is of value to others, again, I will write, the above would be my preferences. I would than use Trip A as my per Gas Tank Fill-up information and Trip B as my date taking ownership forever....

I realize you can use the "Average Fuel Economy" as one or the other Per tank fill-up or since taking Ownership.... I set this display to Manually Reset rather than when Filling Gas tank and will use it on a per Tank Fill-up Basis. So an Average Fuel Economy from taking Ownership...forever...will need to be done by me manually if I want to know that figure.

I would like to know total hours running on EV vs Gas.....and the Grading display....Normal\Economy\Aggressive Mile Display....may or may not be giving the EV\Gas breakdown...I don't think so.

Lastly, may as well list all the things on my mind; the display that comes on as you turn off the Car; shows Miles per gallon, etc, Resets only after 4 hours of Non-running vehicle or only if your trip is greater than the factory Mileage reset (was it 11 miles or more, don't remember)? I saw a Note in manual that reads you can reset it after every vehicle turn off if you press ENTER w/i 1 second of turning vehicle off..... I have tried that many times without success. I don't have an ENTER Button on any buttons on steering wheel so I press the OK button....(thinking that is what the Kia Manual meant by pressing Enter). I would like this Display to reset every time I turn off engine. My wife and I like to play this game, each time we use vehicle we like to tell each other how well Mileage we did.

2018 Kia Niro EX; Crimson Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:31 PM

You need an Ultragauge.

Best. Invention. Ever.
extech67 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:39 PM

I bought the UltraGauge based on your mention here, and in many ways, it is the best one out there (although none of them are exactly intuitive). However, I returned it immediately based on it discharging my 12 V battery and my cell phone battery in a single night parked in my garage. Perhaps there was an erroneous setting but it came that way, not one I changed. Once was one too many times!

I next purchased a Veepeak Bluetooth model for $30 on Amazon and OBD Fusion from the App store for $10. Works fine, and doesn't try to connect to my phone until I open Fusion. So no more issues with batteries.
extech67 likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 12:39 PM

My Ultragauge is the stand-alone version. I mounted the display on the dash. It only works when the vehicle is on, so no chance of it draining any battery.

I have it display instant MPG, trip MPG, engine temperature, RPMs, trip total gasoline used and trip total miles.

Trip resets every start-up, but you can change that.

Edit...tried to attach pic, but cant seem to do it on my tablet???
extech67 likes this.

Last edited by Griswald; 03-04-2018 at 12:48 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:34 PM

In some ways, that is less hassle than a smartphone app, unless you want more information about what the car is doing.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:44 PM

Oh, its got muchmore info than what I display on one screen?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:38 PM

I haven't fooled with customizing it, but it came configured with 6 gauges on one cell phone screen (iPhone 6S), with just a finger swipe required to go to more configured pages. I don't know if there is a limit, kind of doubt it. Something like 380 PIDs you can display, plus custom ones. But six will likely be enough that I care to view on a regular basis. Gauge size is full adjustable.

There are other programs as well you can use. I thought the UltraGauge Blue looked better, and it should for about twice the total price I paid. It is proprietary to their hardware though, I tried it with the Veepeak just to see if it would work, it didn't.

The chipset in the Veepeak is common to many models, going down as low as $10. But well reviewed models with Bluetooth were a bit scarce so I paid more. Wifi is cheaper but that would be a big mistake because if you connect with wifi, you can no longer stream audio or maps on your phone to the head unit.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:19 PM

Thanks, Griswald
A question: it is difficult to locate the OBD port on the Niro? What color?
I assume it's somewhere to the left of the steering column under the dash, can you please verify?
A photo would be great help.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:55 PM

It is readily visible under the fuse box cover lower left.
extech67 likes this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Here is my dash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	2970  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page