All Electric Battery Life (Bolt & Leaf comparison) - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

All Electric Battery Life (Bolt & Leaf comparison)

I would think even Hybrid's would have this temperature concerns for battery life.

Any Opinions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 AM

Garage
Just the same reasons I bailed on the Leaf!
Nissan just doesn't get it really!!

Plus "Range Anxiety" really sucks!

I like the Niro!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Hybrids generally don't provide very much all electric range, so there wont be much difference in their efficiency depending on temperature. I didn't realize that the new Leaf had so many rules and conditions to maximize the battery's life and range.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen View Post
Hybrids generally don't provide very much all electric range, so there wont be much difference in their efficiency depending on temperature.
There is a huge difference in efficiency of any car in different temperatures. ICE, diesel, hybrid, PHEV, and BEV. The difference in four season climates is striking in a hybrid, and if you Google why hybrids "get bad mileage" in the wintertime, you will find plenty of write ups. Still better mpg than a regular car though.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM

Battery life can take a 50% hit when it gets cold because of winter tires and blasting the heat. Would rather not have to make the choice between staying warm of getting to the next charge point. A hybrid provides us with more security.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:27 PM

My former employer has a fleet of Leafs and Volts.

They built charging stations so they used them as advertising and employees could use them if available.

One office was in Asheville NC, and in the cold the Miles to Discharged in the Volt would sometimes be single digits. Once I saw 7 miles on a car that was on the charger overnight when it was below zero overnight.

Physics, you can't fight it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:37 PM

i only makes sense that keeping the thousand of battery cells in the array at a closed range of temps would prolong the internal structure of the batteries as well as all the connecting wires, clips, plugs. extreme temp ranges can play havoc on any electrical component.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 PM

Dunno If any of you remember the Fiskar EV, but it failed hugely with fires esp here in SoCal. Starting to see some anecdotal reports involving Tesla's as well. One caught fire in Santa Monica CA just a few days ago. Apparently no "official" cause as of yet. Hope it's OK to post this link:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...es-fire-in-l-a

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
Dunno If any of you remember the Fiskar EV, but it failed hugely with fires esp here in SoCal. Starting to see some anecdotal reports involving Tesla's as well. One caught fire in Santa Monica CA just a few days ago. Apparently no "official" cause as of yet. Hope it's OK to post this link:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...es-fire-in-l-a
Nearly all of the tesla fires have been the result of pretty serious damage to the battery pack. I'm going to guess this latest one will prove similar. The driver claims he didn't hit anything, but it could have happened on a previous drive. I'm sure Tesla and the fire dept will do a full investigation as to the cause.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:32 PM

So how is the batt pack being damaged? TBH I don't know exactly where they are physically on Teslas but assuming they are mounted at the bottom of the body pan as others are, I can only guess is it due to scrapping the body pan on our crappy LA area roads? I have a friend who has moved from a BMW i3 car to a Chevy Bolt and he's done fine with both in the flaming to the pavement issue...ie NADA.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page