Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Garage door opener

19K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  thasan10 
#1 ·
I don’t take delivery of my new EX Premium for 3 weeks so can’t check this myself. Question: Does the Niro have buttons that you can progam to operate a garage door opener?

#4 ·
The OEM mirror is about $250 and should be plug and play.

Issue with OEM replacement w/ Homelink:

a) Homelink will not work unless ignition is on.

I replaced the mirror with a new one for a KIA Soul (~$100 on ebay) which included the Homelink garage door openers and a compass. For some stupid reason, the connectors and pin positions are different between the NIRO and SOUL.

a) A new (included) wiring harness needs to be installed and run down to the fuse block area or the replacement and OEM stock mirrors need to be opened and the replacement rewired to use original harness.

b) No switched 12VDC line is available unless you wire to the fuse block.

c) No schematic available for the KIA Soul mirror and I was unable to connect the line that disables the LCD dimming when in reverse. I found out the hard way, if you connect the reverse line to the wrong input on the mirror, the transmission starts acting up and throwing error codes. I just decided to not use that feature.

d) Advantage to rewiring the harness from the mirror is that the plug on the vehicle wiring harness remains unchanged and can be plugged back into OEM mirrors if needed.

e) Homelink will not work unless ignition is on, unless a wire is run to the fuse block.

I was perfectly capable of doing the work myself and saved $150.

#5 ·
Since I had Homelink in my Ford C-Max, I wasn't that impressed with it and how it worked with my Chamberlain Garage door opener. It was fussy and sometimes took multiple presses to engage. The door always worked perfectly with the Chamberlain remote so I grabbed one off Amazon for $25 and haven't looked back. It may have been a Ford implementation since Homelink wasn't as bad on my old Chevy HHR and a Genie. But it's a moot point since KIA doesn't bake it into our Niros and I certainly wouldn't cough up big $$ for Homelink.

#7 ·
1) individual remotes need to be put someplace and can rattle around.

2) Individual remotes can be stolen.

3) Individual remotes require replacement batteries (every couple of years).

4) Mirror with HomeLink not likely to be stolen and needs 12VDC to work.

5) HomeLink buttons pretty much at your fingertips.

#8 ·
In 8 years, I've never replaced a battery in a remote. I usually use a key fob sized remote on my keychain, but since my car is keyless (and the fobs are in my pocket out of easy reach), I keep the original iPod sized one on passenger side shade. Really big button, easy to hit. Neither costs $250.

I think that addresses your issues plus cost. Except theft. Who steals garage door openers? I'd be more worried about the window the thief breaks to steal a garage door opener, probable used value one dollar.

#9 ·
Theft of remote is to break into the house, and it happens. Not a problem if there is nothing identifying where you live, unless you are followed home.

I used to replace remote batteries about every 3 yrs, no biggie.

All just a matter of how much you want to pay to have the remote at your fingertips.

To me it was worth the $100 and my labor to rewirev the mirror for that OEM look.

#11 ·
I just contacted my nearest Kia dealer (not the one I bought from, which is much further away cuz they made me a much better deal) to ask for a quote on getting one of these auto-dimming mirrors with compass and HomeLink installed. I like not having to fumble with my bulky opener (constantly falls out of the overhead compartment) and I also like having the compass readout. Will report back on what they say.

#14 · (Edited)
#16 ·
I wish that mirror also supported EVO. Since mine is leased, I can't make a change like this that removes factory functionality. I'd love a Homelink mirror, as I've had it on my last few cars. But I'll wait and see what I get after my lease is done.

Reactions: TheSilverFlash
#15 ·
I was able to retrofit one of the frameless homelink mirrors into my Niro EV

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-17-Mazd...rentrq:2c075b1e16d0ac3cd3c1e911ffb615c7|iid:1

The installation required some cutting and splicing, and was a bit of a PITA. But it looks great!

I was willing to give up the UVO button (which I have never used, and can’t foresee ever using). And I was able to wire up the homelink so that the garage door opener only works when the car is turned on (so that if someone breaks into your car in the driveway, they can’t gain access to your garage).

#19 ·
That absolutely works! However, we're told that perps break into cars, steal remotes & insur card or registration then go to the home & have easy access to steal your junk. :eek: Call me paranoid but this happened to some friends so I prefer not to have a remote in my car and am willing to pay a few hundred for Homelink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.