Garage door opener - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Garage
I just contacted my nearest Kia dealer (not the one I bought from, which is much further away cuz they made me a much better deal) to ask for a quote on getting one of these auto-dimming mirrors with compass and HomeLink installed. I like not having to fumble with my bulky opener (constantly falls out of the overhead compartment) and I also like having the compass readout. Will report back on what they say.

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I just contacted my nearest Kia dealer (not the one I bought from, which is much further away cuz they made me a much better deal) to ask for a quote on getting one of these auto-dimming mirrors with compass and HomeLink installed. I like not having to fumble with my bulky opener (constantly falls out of the overhead compartment) and I also like having the compass readout. Will report back on what they say.
So Dave, did you find a Auto dimming mirror w HomeLink that works with your Niro? IF so, can you provide a part number & cost? Thanks
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
So Dave, did you find a Auto dimming mirror w HomeLink that works with your Niro? IF so, can you provide a part number & cost? Thanks
I did find it at the nearby dealer, but it was way more than I was willing to pay, something around $500 for the part plus labor to install. I'm afraid I didn't keep the email I got back that had the part number (not sure I ever had that to be honest).

In the many months since, we have relocated from Texas to northern Virginia, and our new home has a 1-car garage only, and my wife gets the space there. So I wouldn't have been able to use the Homelink thing in the end anyway.

There are WAY more Niros around here than there were in our former area in the burbs south of Houston...
Dovidan likes this.

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:48 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Kia has a homelink mirror available for the Niro. It says no wire splicing is needed. $255. You probably lose your UVO buttons though?

$500 for the part + install seems excessive. They're charging you almost 2.5 labor hours. I've never installed one but that seems crazy. I'd call a couple different Kia dealers and get estimates from them.

https://kiastuff.com/shop-by-model/n...g-mirror-m017/

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 09-13-2019 at 12:51 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:17 PM

I was able to retrofit one of the frameless homelink mirrors into my Niro EV

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-17-Mazda...15c7%7Ciid%3A1

The installation required some cutting and splicing, and was a bit of a PITA. But it looks great!

I was willing to give up the UVO button (which I have never used, and can’t foresee ever using). And I was able to wire up the homelink so that the garage door opener only works when the car is turned on (so that if someone breaks into your car in the driveway, they can’t gain access to your garage).
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
Kia has a homelink mirror available for the Niro. It says no wire splicing is needed. $255. You probably lose your UVO buttons though?

$500 for the part + install seems excessive. They're charging you almost 2.5 labor hours. I've never installed one but that seems crazy. I'd call a couple different Kia dealers and get estimates from them.

I wish that mirror also supported EVO. Since mine is leased, I can't make a change like this that removes factory functionality. I'd love a Homelink mirror, as I've had it on my last few cars. But I'll wait and see what I get after my lease is done.
TheSilverFlash likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:33 PM

I taped a remote into the overhead compartment to keep the dang thing from falling out. Gorilla Tape.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:27 PM

I have the remote clipped to my visor. Would prefer the homelink button, but this works.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
I have the remote clipped to my visor. Would prefer the homelink button, but this works.
That absolutely works! However, we're told that perps break into cars, steal remotes & insur card or registration then go to the home & have easy access to steal your junk. Call me paranoid but this happened to some friends so I prefer not to have a remote in my car and am willing to pay a few hundred for Homelink
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
...am willing to pay a few hundred for Homelink
Kia makes a homelink mirror for the Niro, available here or at your local dealer.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page