Garage door opener - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage door opener

I donít take delivery of my new EX Premium for 3 weeks so canít check this myself. Question: Does the Niro have buttons that you can progam to operate a garage door opener?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:43 PM

Not stock, but can be added relatively cheaply & easily.

see this thread: https://www.kianiroforum.com/forum/9-...rage-door.html

(or, for more posts on this subject, search this forum for "gentex")

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 05-03-2018 at 11:47 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the earlier thread. Iíll probably just buy a remote from Amazon.
RedWouldForrest likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:02 AM

The OEM mirror is about $250 and should be plug and play.

Issue with OEM replacement w/ Homelink:

a) Homelink will not work unless ignition is on.

I replaced the mirror with a new one for a KIA Soul (~$100 on ebay) which included the Homelink garage door openers and a compass. For some stupid reason, the connectors and pin positions are different between the NIRO and SOUL.

a) A new (included) wiring harness needs to be installed and run down to the fuse block area or the replacement and OEM stock mirrors need to be opened and the replacement rewired to use original harness.

b) No switched 12VDC line is available unless you wire to the fuse block.

c) No schematic available for the KIA Soul mirror and I was unable to connect the line that disables the LCD dimming when in reverse. I found out the hard way, if you connect the reverse line to the wrong input on the mirror, the transmission starts acting up and throwing error codes. I just decided to not use that feature.

d) Advantage to rewiring the harness from the mirror is that the plug on the vehicle wiring harness remains unchanged and can be plugged back into OEM mirrors if needed.

e) Homelink will not work unless ignition is on, unless a wire is run to the fuse block.

I was perfectly capable of doing the work myself and saved $150.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cary, NI2Q - Amateur Extra Class
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Since I had Homelink in my Ford C-Max, I wasn't that impressed with it and how it worked with my Chamberlain Garage door opener. It was fussy and sometimes took multiple presses to engage. The door always worked perfectly with the Chamberlain remote so I grabbed one off Amazon for $25 and haven't looked back. It may have been a Ford implementation since Homelink wasn't as bad on my old Chevy HHR and a Genie. But it's a moot point since KIA doesn't bake it into our Niros and I certainly wouldn't cough up big $$ for Homelink.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 PM

I am wondering what is wrong with the remote controls that come with your garage door opener. My Genie opener is Tiny and lays right in the door handle pocket. Closer at hand than a button on the rear view mirror.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:22 PM

1) individual remotes need to be put someplace and can rattle around.

2) Individual remotes can be stolen.

3) Individual remotes require replacement batteries (every couple of years).

4) Mirror with HomeLink not likely to be stolen and needs 12VDC to work.

5) HomeLink buttons pretty much at your fingertips.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:51 PM

In 8 years, I've never replaced a battery in a remote. I usually use a key fob sized remote on my keychain, but since my car is keyless (and the fobs are in my pocket out of easy reach), I keep the original iPod sized one on passenger side shade. Really big button, easy to hit. Neither costs $250.

I think that addresses your issues plus cost. Except theft. Who steals garage door openers? I'd be more worried about the window the thief breaks to steal a garage door opener, probable used value one dollar.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Theft of remote is to break into the house, and it happens. Not a problem if there is nothing identifying where you live, unless you are followed home.

I used to replace remote batteries about every 3 yrs, no biggie.

All just a matter of how much you want to pay to have the remote at your fingertips.

To me it was worth the $100 and my labor to rewirev the mirror for that OEM look.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:07 AM

Not having homeLink is a biggie for me. I have two houses and a gate, so I will need three remotes. I need to find one programmable remote that can handle all this. UNFORGIVABLE omission in a car with almost $36k sticker.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page