There are a few questions I would like to know before buying our new vehicle. I am planning a purchase within the next few months, and there are some things I have not been able to find out even after extensive research and a lots of YouTube review videos.
Some of my questions are stemming from the fact that I am Prius v owner, and I am basically I am trying to understand how the Niro functionality differs from what I used, specially because my Prius is an standard hybrid, not PHEV.
1. What are LED positioning headlights? As far as I can tell the Ioniq has the thing where the headlights will turn with the steering wheel. This isnít clearly described in the Niro. Is that what LED positioning headlights are?
2. Based on reviews I watched , the only thing that will trigger the gas engine (as far as features) are the heating seats and the heater a/c itself. It is my understanding that cool a/c and seat cooling will not trigger the gas engine. Is this correct?
3. How does the car behave at a full stop? My Prius will turn off the gas engine EVERY TIME when coming to a full stop. This saves a lot of gas during traffic hours, and during times where I have to wait outside in my car with a/c on. Does the Niro behave in the same manner?
4. Does the Niro battery split its capacity between EV functionality and hybrid functionality? In other words, is there a section of the battery dedicated to EV and a section dedicated to hybrid functionality?
5. Does the voice assistance button in the steering wheel activate Google assistant and/or Siri when in Android auto/apple car play mode?
6. I saw someone make mention of ďautonomous drivingĒ features in this vehicle. I understand that the enhanced cruise control will keep its distance from the car in front, stop by itself when the car in front does, and go again when the car in front does. Besides that, is there any other autonomous driving features?
7. Does the parking assist turn the steering wheel for you, or is it just beeping sensors? Does it give you a graphic of the car as it parks on the screen?
8. Does the smart key unlock the doors with one touch on all doors or just driver seat?
9. Does using android auto/apple car play enhance the GPS system in the smartphone by utilizing the carís built in GPS antenna?
Thatís all I can think of for now.
Thank you very much for your time
I'll only answer the questions that pertain to my 2017 Niro EX NON plug in:
2. The heated seats do NO trigger the gas engine, only cabin HEAT does and it needs to be set to MAX as some heating will occur even in EV mode with the natural cycling of the gas engine on/off. Likewise, at times, MAX AC will trigger the gas engine of the hybrid battery level is low enough, I have found that raising the AC temp setting from LOW (max cool) to say 68, forced the engine OFF when it was running. Although the AC is electric powered, draining the hybrid battery will of course shorten the time needed to kick the engine on to help recharge it.
3. My NIRO ALWAYS turns the engine at a full stop, when applying the breaks to come to a stop etc........ the gas engine will stay on if the hybrid battery is very low, OR during warm up (we have winter temps here that can range from 15 above zero to 20 below zero............
4. EV and Hybrid are the same,,,,,,,,, still uses power from the same lithium ion polymer battery,,,,,, hybrid mode of course is both gas engine and hybrid battery. It's worth noting here that the Niro can go FULL EV or Hybrid mode even at speeds of 65 mph............I heard that earlier Prius (not sure about current models) are Parallel hybrid, meaning it EITHER gas engine or hybrid but not both,,,,,,,,,Niro is Series hybrid, meaning is can do gas engine and hybrid at the same time, thus reducing overall actual gas engine use.
5. In Android Auto mode, the voice command button activates GOOGLE
8. My smart key, press unlock once, it unlocks driver door only, press twice it unlocks ALL doors
9. The FRONT USB port connects the shark fin antenna for use in cellular, GPS and FM/AM radio applications. NOTE that this provides a GPS antenna connectivity even if you do not purchase a top trim level offering GPS as standard equipment...........