Is it aSUV feel? - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Is it aSUV feel?

I have fallen in love with the Niro without ever sitting in one or test driving one..yet that is.

I have been in Subaru Forrester and liked the elevated look as you stepped into it and was on the highway.

Does the Niro give the SUV feel in height when you are sitting in it or is a regular car feel?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 PM

Compact SUV height and seat. Upright seating position. You don't have to climb into it like a large SUV, nor drop into it like a car. The seat is also height adjustable even on the base model. Visibility won't be as good as a Forrester with the large windows. But better than some similar models.
hdtvjeff likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 PM

Garage
It ain't a 95 4Runner, which I still own & drive, I find it's slightly higher than a good sedan. Manufactures dropped the ride height to improve sales. While fun to watch, women were not enjoying the climb, especially if your model did not include running boards! While I enjoy the height in the 4Runner, the Niro is just fine in height for me! Currently at 5k miles, I love the AC, and the AC Leather drivers seat! Yes, it blows AC into the seat to chill it down, it works great! Comfort, necessary!!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 AM

Smooth and easy to drive. doesn't feel like a small SUV or cross over, kinda like a wider 5 door hatch/wagon. I really like it. Very happy I made the purchase.

2018 KIA Niro LX Plug-IN - Aurora Black Pearl

2018 KIA Sedona LX - Snow White Pearl
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Is the niro comparable in size to the Toyota Rav 4?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:33 PM

Garage
Agreed that the ride height on the Niro is more than on a sedan for sure, but not quite as high as most SUVs. I replaced a Volvo XC60, and it's only a bit shorter. You can adjust the height as noted, which is particularly easy if you have the power driver's seat. My two finalists for this purchase were the Niro and hybrid RAV4, and the Niro is smaller all round, and has less power. The RAV4 is really quite responsive-- but you pay for it with 20mpg poorer fuel efficiency, which was what I wanted most. RAV4 is also anywhere from $6K to $10K more expensive depending on features. Was a no brainer for me to go Niro.
KK6PD likes this.

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:22 PM

I drove an XC60 rental once for a thousand miles and as I recall, it was a step up to get in. That wasn't fun as I had half a dozen broken ribs from a roll over at 75 mph. But way better than the Camaro they initially gave me, now that was painful to get in!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:47 PM

The Niro is a small hatchback, no doubt. A nice one (the EX Premium at least), but still a compact vehicle. It looks kind of like a small SUV and feels roomy enough inside. I had a Tucson before this and it feels quite different. You don't have the feeling of being up higher and being in a large car.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Is the Niro a comfortable enough ride going cross country with a family of 4?

Also, how is its safety rating?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjeff View Post
Is the Niro a comfortable enough ride going cross country with a family of 4?

Also, how is its safety rating?
That depends on your family . Two kids in the back seems reasonable. The seats are comfortable. Personally, I would not enjoy driving cross country in any car, but that is just me. I don't like driving.

You should be able to look up the safety rating somewhere. The EX premium has lane change assist and blindspot detection that are nice safety features.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page