Niro EV now on sale in Korea - Kia Niro Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By charlesH
  • 1 Post By hawke
  • 1 Post By marcel_g

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Niro EV now on sale in Korea

The EV variant of the Niro is now officially on sale in Korea. According to Kia they have received more than 5,000 pre orders of their new electric, which is will on sale in Europe at the end of the year and in North America in the first quarter of 2019. I actually think its a good think that is launching in other markets first, as we'll get to see if there are any issues that need to be addressed before placing orders. Anyone here considering this new model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen View Post
The EV variant of the Niro is now officially on sale in Korea. According to Kia they have received more than 5,000 pre orders of their new electric, which is will on sale in Europe at the end of the year and in North America in the first quarter of 2019. I actually think its a good think that is launching in other markets first, as we'll get to see if there are any issues that need to be addressed before placing orders. Anyone here considering this new model?
nope.

PHEV is far better (just about perfect) for my driving profile. 50% 5-10 mile errands and 50% 1000 mi trips.
safari likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:27 PM

Saw a PR release stating Aug 3 Korea launch. Claimed 240 mile range. Even better, liquid cooled battery. I don't like the front charging door and that whole panel. Copied directly from the Kona EV.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:34 PM

According to Bloomberg U.S. drivers now lease almost 80 percent of battery electric vehicles and 55 percent of plug-in hybrids. The lopsided consumer preference for leases is fueled by the meager demand for battery-powered vehicles on the used market. Bloomberg also noted that contributing to the leasing factor is driver's belief that upcoming electric cars will exceed today's in value and capabilities. I considered all three versions of the Niro when I began my research but after reading multiple articles and sources about the EV market, and factoring in we live in a rural seaside community, I decided the Niro PHEV was the best fit for us. But for those comfortable with leasing and access to charging stations, the Niro EV certainly looks impressive.
dots likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:32 PM

Battery tech keeps getting better and cheaper every year. Not to mention safety features getting better every year even faster. So driver's beliefs are not wrong. Also, EVs and PHEVs cost more than regular cars, so leases can make them more affordable.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Perhaps the real risk is to owning a purely Internal Combustion Engine power train. Power to power an electric motor is 5 times cheaper to manufacture and lasts 5 times longer. Electric motor torque is always a better fit for transportation ( look at diesel electric locomotives). The draw back to EV is range but batteries are slowly improving as to energy density. More importantly rapid charging stations are appearing in many places. If you can recharge overnight at home and within 30 mins on the highway the cost of ownership of an EV will be half or less of a comparable ICE within 10 years.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:03 PM

Yes, I am seriously considering the BEV Niro. Bjørn Nyland is vlogging about one now. However, I am currently leaning towards the Jag IPace for a replacement for my PHEV EX Premium next year, simply because I prefer the look and luxury of the Jag.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstart View Post
Perhaps the real risk is to owning a purely Internal Combustion Engine power train. Power to power an electric motor is 5 times cheaper to manufacture and lasts 5 times longer. Electric motor torque is always a better fit for transportation ( look at diesel electric locomotives). The draw back to EV is range but batteries are slowly improving as to energy density. More importantly rapid charging stations are appearing in many places. If you can recharge overnight at home and within 30 mins on the highway the cost of ownership of an EV will be half or less of a comparable ICE within 10 years.

well if it is, my next car will be an ev, but I'm not holding my breath.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstart View Post
I didn't want to worry about an ICE or haul one around when it wouldn't get used 90% of the time, so I went with a lease on a Leaf. It charges at home on a wall plug most of the time. It's been great so far, but when my lease is up, the Niro EV is at the top of my list. For camping trips and things like that I rent a minivan.

It looks like it's going to come down to the Niro EV vs the upcoming 60kwh Leaf. The Niro has slightly better cargo space ( a bit wider and a better rear opening ), but it's going to come down to price and availability, probably.
dots likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page