Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Mud flaps

9K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Dovidan 
#1 ·
How many of you Guys opted for this option. How do they look? Think it’ll mess up the paint where if you take them off later the paint will be warn through?

#2 ·
I have mud flaps on my Niro PHEV EX. I really don't notice them with the aurora black color of the car. I still own a 1999 Hyundai Elantra with mud flaps and to date have never had a problem with any of them.

#4 ·
It seems the mud flaps install on top of the plastic cladding and not directly on the painted surfaces. However, if you did decide to take them off after a few years, you’d definitely see a difference in the color of the cladding and there might be some signs of wear.

#7 ·
I changed my backup lights a couple days ago and noted in the rear, there does not appear to be sheet metal outlining the wheel well. It seems to be a plastic fibrous sheet instead - flimsy and flexible, sort of a curved mudguard. I feel kind of foolish now for particular attention to the wheel wells trying to flush away winter salt.

#8 ·
I drove about 14 miles on a potholed gravel mountain road yesterday. There is quite a bit of dirt on the lower rocker panel and front door, but very little behind the rear wheels.

Two Question for anyone with mud flaps:

1. Do you still get lots of dirt and debris on the above areas or do the front MFs do a good job of reducing that?

2. If you got them as aftermarket, can they be installed without wheel removal? Did they impact your mpg?

Thanks

#17 ·
I had them thrown in on the deal, but dealer had to order them. I installed them-- very easy, there two metal screws you use vice the plastic push pins. No wheel removal needed. They are very low profile, only extending about one extra inch down and less wide. It noticeably keeps down some of the splash from the wheels, but of course not all. It doesn't affect the MPG at all.

#9 ·
Probably very little behind the rear wheels compared to the front is because these are front wheel drive, so all the back wheels do is keep the bumper from dragging on the ground. :D.

Yeah, I know. They do a tad more than that. ;) But that's likely the explanation.

#14 ·
Yes. and as of this eve, they are still listed as "Currently unavailable". Wish that were not the case as apparently several other Niro owners have these with no issues.

#18 ·
<< - very easy, there two metal screws you use vice the plastic push pins. >>
I'm think something is missing in your sentence. Did you mean that you used two metal screws in place of the plastic push pins that are OEM? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.