Engine break-in period. - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yticolev

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Engine break-in period.

It has been more that a decade since I’ve owned a new vehicle. Is it still necessary to do any kind of break in. I seem to remember it being no High RPM, no constant speeds (Cruise control) for the 500 miles than do a oil change (break-in metal shavings).
I’m buying my Niro from a Dealership almost 400 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:02 PM

Engine manufacturing has improved a lot over the last ten years: first recommended oil change is 7,500 miles. Otherwise from the CA manual (boilerplate):

VEHICLE BREAK-IN PROCESS
No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, econo- my and life of your vehicle.
• Do not race the engine.
• While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
• Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
• Avoid hard stops, except in emer- gencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
• Don't tow a trailer during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles) of opera- tion.
dots likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Engine manufacturing has improved a lot over the last ten years: first recommended oil change is 7,500 miles. Otherwise from the CA manual (boilerplate):

VEHICLE BREAK-IN PROCESS
No special break-in period is needed. By following a few simple precautions for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may add to the performance, econo- my and life of your vehicle.
• Do not race the engine.
• While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
• Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
• Avoid hard stops, except in emer- gencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
• Don't tow a trailer during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles) of opera- tion.
I knew I remembered something about single speed.

Thanks.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

OK. this begs to ask then, - how do you see the RPM of the engine on the Niro? As the engine turns itself on and off and has some gearing system that will either direct the power to the wheels or an electric motor (running in reverse to regenerate the battery) how to do control the RPM's? It's the computer on the car that is doing that. I would expect that the gas and brake peddle are all electronic and not really connected to any mechanical part and tell the computer the amount pushed, but it's the computer that controls the acceleration and braking.

So with that in mind, how would varying speed have any effect either? Again, as you are linking this with an electric motor, unless you are talking about a break-in period with the electrics, you are out of control as to the speed or revs on the motor unless you are really hammering it and moving to the Power section on the gauge. Otherwise, you just hope that the computer doesn't counteract what you think you are trying to do. IE The computer wants to run the engine as a certain RPM all the time, and as you speed up, slow down, the motor stays constant and the difference is made up by how much the electric motor kicks in or regenerates.

Avoid hard stops. Again, this is a hybrid and the life expectancy of the breaks are totally different than other non-hybrid cars. You are using the resistance on the electric motor to generate power but in turn that can be used to slow down the car. Ask really, how much do you use the brake pads? Nobody had 5-10 years on this car to say how it works over a long period of time. But you can look at other cars that have similar types of technology and if you look to the Prius, the breaks don't wear out nearly as fast a gas car not because the drivers are lilly footing and don't break, but because the car uses the regenerative braking of the motor over a mechanical friction of a brake pad.

So the only real thing on that list is don't pull a trailer. And I don't think this the right type of vehicle for doing that sort of thing anyway.

But that is just my opinion.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 PM

If you change speed frequently while the ICE is running, you will automatically change the RPM, thus lessening the chance of "wearing in" at a single RPM. But all you have to do is drive normally and avoid long highway trips during the first 500 miles. The odds of a bad break in is incredibly low on modern engines.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
If you change speed frequently while the ICE is running, you will automatically change the RPM, thus lessening the chance of "wearing in" at a single RPM. But all you have to do is drive normally and avoid long highway trips during the first 500 miles. The odds of a bad break in is incredibly low on modern engines.

Unfortunately my first drive from dealership is 350 miles
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:24 PM

Take back roads!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Helmandollar View Post
Unfortunately my first drive from dealership is 350 miles
I think if you just don’t travel at 80 mph constantly for 2 hours straight, you should be okay. Maybe exit off the highway and use the surface streets for a couple of exits whenever feasible so that your speed will vary on your way home.

I’ve never really worried about break in with my cars and I keep them for 10+ years and never had transmission issues.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Garage
Modern engines are so tough they don't even list break in periods anymore. This is also an extremely low internal friction engine. They've taken great strides to make it thus. And it's a full synthetic oil. And it's 100,000 mile engine warranty. Breaking in an engine is all about the piston rings and the various bearings (crank shaft, cam, rod). I ask you....when is the last time you heard of a gas motor lose a ring or bearing? 30 years? 40? Note break in isn't related to failures such as rear main seal, head gasket, or other stationary items. I've lost 3 rear main seals in the last 20 years, but that's not a moving part.

Anyway the owner's manual on mine has the following:
'No special breakin period is needed'. It then gives some general 'this helps' steps for regular ICE vehicles and then for HEV/PHEV says 'You may add to the performance, economy, and life of your vehicle if you':
'Do not race the engine'
'Avoid hard stops to allow brakes to seat properly'.
during the first 600 miles. So basically they seem more concerned will ill-seated brake pads than the engine itself. And frankly those brake pads will probably go well past 100,000 miles.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page