How to drive a 2018 Niro PHEV EX for best mileage? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

How to drive a 2018 Niro PHEV EX for best mileage?

Hi,

Just got a 2018 Niro PHEV EX. I drive 25 miles one way (and 25 miles back) on the high way.

Wondering what's the best way to drive to get the top mpg? After doing some research it appears like it takes 2.5hrs if I use 240v charger. Not sure if I can charge it enough during the week? :-(

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
r-a-v-i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:40 AM

Garage
I have the same car, and the same commute.

Ideally, you'd charge it at home each night, and at work each day, and you'll barely use any gas. But like you, I don't get to charge it that much. Maybe 3-4 times a week at most.

So my best advice is, the more you can plug it in, the better. Also, keep your freeway speeds under 75mph. It's also worth considering putting the car in HEV mode on the highway, even if you have EV battery charge, because your EV charge is better used on city streets than on the highway, I've heard.

I also use the cruise control a ton. Nearly always when I'm on the highway. Some people say that hurts the MPG, but for me it's helped keep my MPGs higher.

With a similar commute schedule as you, I tend to get about 65mpg on average, with about 4 plug-in charges.

2018 PHEV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM

You may have bought the wrong car for thst commute. A standard hybrid might have been a better choice. PHEV is really good at 20ish miles of stop and go or slower speed driving, but not ideal for high speed highway driving.

Either way, you'll love the Niro simply because it makes a great commuter vehicle.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:20 PM

At least you'll be using the ICE only 50% of your commutetime and some of that time it credits you back some EV miles if your not driving it hard.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
You may have bought the wrong car for thst commute. A standard hybrid might have been a better choice. PHEV is really good at 20ish miles of stop and go or slower speed driving, but not ideal for high speed highway driving.

Either way, you'll love the Niro simply because it makes a great commuter vehicle.

For me, the PHEV is the idea vehicule.!

I do 2,4 miles to go and 2,4 back... so the PHEV will be very welcome soon! My HEV does not give me this option and the engine starts and heat's up for nothing when i leave th house.!

And yes.! it is a very nice and practical vehicule!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page