2018 Niro Phev Radiator Fills - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yticolev

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

2018 Niro Phev Radiator Fills

I'm not very mechanical but I do like to top off my car's antifreeze when necessary. I was checking under the hood today and noticed two locations to add antifreeze. This is the first car I've owned with two fill locations. Can anyone explain the reason why to me? I've been using Prestone 50/50 prediluted antifreeze coolant to top off our 1999 Hyundai Elantra. Is there any reason not to use this for our Niro Phev? If so what product should I use instead? Again, I'm only bringing the level up to full on occasion when needed and since my Phev is only five months old I haven't needed to do so yet.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 PM

One is for normal engine coolant, the other is for the motor systems coolant. You shouldn't need to routinely check coolant, but any dealer or auto parts store (and the manual) or Google will give you the correct coolant. You are correct in that usually a manufacturer uses the same coolant for all their models and that may include Hyundai/Kia. Sorry, I don't know the coolant type. In older cars I've had, I've just added water, not living in a critical environment.
hawke likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
One is for normal engine coolant, the other is for the motor systems coolant. You shouldn't need to routinely check coolant, but any dealer or auto parts store (and the manual) or Google will give you the correct coolant. You are correct in that usually a manufacturer uses the same coolant for all their models and that may include Hyundai/Kia. Sorry, I don't know the coolant type. In older cars I've had, I've just added water, not living in a critical environment.
Thanks for the information. Appreciate it.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:34 PM

If you need to "top off" coolant...somethings wrong.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
If you need to "top off" coolant...somethings wrong.
Agreed. It isn't 1975 any more. Even in severe cold climate where I live (it got to -30F one night last year....brrrrr), I haven't checked or added or changed coolant for years on any car under a decade old. Any vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on should never need adding. I'd be more concerned about heat in a place like Florida though. That summer heat on pavement can cook a vehicle.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page