GPS map Upgrade - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

GPS map Upgrade

KIA wants $145 for the map upgrade. Not long ago you could buy a portable GPS unit plus the maps for that.Does anyone see this as worth the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:17 AM

Since the iPhone 4, GPS sales have plummeted, both standalone units and built ins. Why go through that expense when you have a number of free apps that have updated data by the second in your pocket that are better?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 PM

I saw on Kia's website that you got 6 free map updates over 7 years. Does that not apply to Niro?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
If you have an android or apple, you should just plug your phone in and use it's Google maps or Waze on your car's screen, instead of whatever the built in GPS program is. It even has the added bonus of auto-rerouting you if there's a temporary road closure, traffic, etc.

I don't even know if my Niro is equipped with GPS or not, I never checked because I just logically assumed it would probably be much worse than just using my phone's gps.

So to answer your question, no I don't see it as being worth it. I wouldn't even pay a dollar for a map update. Even if you REALLY want to use the car's GPS, I can't imagine the roads have changed that much in the last 2 years.

The only scenario where I might consider it is if I frequently drive somewhere without cellular data signal, but even then I'd probably just get a $50 portable GPS from Amazon instead of paying that insane software patch fee. And with Google maps on your phone, you can usually download offline maps to use when you have no cell coverage.

2018 PHEV

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-25-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
I saw on Kia's website that you got 6 free map updates over 7 years. Does that not apply to Niro?
Could be interesting to have the link!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (8000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
The only scenario where I might consider it is if I frequently drive somewhere without cellular data signal, but even then I'd probably just get a $50 portable GPS from Amazon instead of paying that insane software patch fee. And with Google maps on your phone, you can usually download offline maps to use when you have no cell coverage.
You can buy maps that work entirely offline for your phone (they take up a lot of memory), but they are not necessary once your trip is mapped with a data connection. The entire trip is loaded (at least on Google), and GPS is still active and will give you audio and screen directions. You no longer need a cellular connection for the trip.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:31 PM

Here's the link. The salesman had no knowledge of it. https://www.kia.com/ie/service/mobility/map-updates/

I'm thinking I better screenshot the pages for proof later on.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:11 PM

Looks like the updates are free in Europe, but I don't think that page applies to the US. (Click the "Find a Dealer" button on that page).

This is the link that was e-mailed to me a few days ago: https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/map-updates.html

Looks like they release updates twice a year and as the OP noted, they want $145 (or more). The update also includes software updates. There's a manual on the page for each model that describes the software changes.

At these prices, if I ever do decide to purchase a map update, it's likely to be a few years from now.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

That is cheep compaired to the ones that Ford sold. You were far better off with ford as the maps were on an SD card, to buy an older version off ebay for $60 compaired to the $350+ that the dealer said they will cost. And from what I have gathered, the new maps they sell are at least 2-3 years out of date from what is actually out there. That was one of the big reasons for my liking the Niro. Apple Car Play and Google Audo support. I would rather use my phone and have maps that are at most months out of date rather than the car versions that are years.

They are doing new developments above where I live. Google has them on their maps. I went to the dealership and tired one of the GPS in the showroom model of a Sorento and it couldn't find streets that have been there for amost 2 years now. One would assume that the dealerships would put cars on the floor with uptodate maps.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:43 PM

Hello everyone,

Everyone has their own opinion and yes most of the time the sat/navs are not the most current. I like the navigation and the Google Auto isn't as full featured as I thought it would be. I've used it on a few trips and haven't had any real concerns with the routing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page