Niro EV Availability - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:45 AM

I live 150 miles from Winnipeg, CA. They have a fully loaded Kona EV that I was going to check out. But as I was seeing if the $7500 US tax credit would apply to a new EV bought in Canada and used in the US, I found out that the Hyundai warranty does not carry over the border. That plus the loss of the tax credit ruled out going any further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold weather ev View Post
I live 150 miles from Winnipeg, CA. They have a fully loaded Kona EV that I was going to check out. But as I was seeing if the $7500 US tax credit would apply to a new EV bought in Canada and used in the US, I found out that the Hyundai warranty does not carry over the border. That plus the loss of the tax credit ruled out going any further.
For the warranty, same thing for us on the other side.!

Talking of rebate, in my region, there are 2-3 dealers that specialized in used EV's. They buy cars from Ontario, and the US (florida, calif, etc..). The reason why is because in Quebec, there is a used vehicles goverment pilot program that gives up to 4000$ CAN as a rebate for a used EV. The ONLY glitch, is if the same car that was bought in Qc as new, and had a 8000$ CAN rebate, cannot get the other 4000$ rebate if returned to the dealer after a lease and re-sold as a used.!! Imagine if the same couple, gets the 8000$ and returns it too the delaer after the lease, and the dealer sells it too the wife as a used and she gets the 4000$, The same couple would get 12.000$ rebate on the same car!

info: Eligibility requirements | Québec Government rebate for used VE"

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:46 AM

I joined this forum for user knowledge. Salesmen can't keep up with all the cars. Especially odd things like EV's! They may say anything to get you in the door. We learned a LOT before we bought our 2015 Leaf. And we got the best info on forums.
I called a Kia dealer in Atlanta. 'Sure we have some. Come on down!' I didn't trust him.
The 2nd dealer said they were expecting some in a week. Or two. Or a month? They aren't privy to that information, and may be told to, gasp! lie.
So if we buy a Niro EV, or PHEV, we'll stick with the guy who's been honest, so far. I gave him my info, and he promised to only call when they get them. We'll see.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd888 View Post
So if we buy a Niro EV, or PHEV, we'll stick with the guy who's been honest, so far. I gave him my info, and he promised to only call when they get them. We'll see.
That is the best way too do!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I joined this forum for user knowledge. Salesmen can't keep up with all the cars. Especially odd things like EV's! They may say anything to get you in the door. We learned a LOT before we bought our 2015 Leaf. And we got the best info on forums.
I called a Kia dealer in Atlanta. 'Sure we have some. Come on down!' I didn't trust him.
The 2nd dealer said they were expecting some in a week. Or two. Or a month? They aren't privy to that information, and may be told to, gasp! lie.
Ya the guy I test drove with at the Roswell Hyundai knew little to nothing about the upcoming Kona EV. When I test drove a PHEV Niro at Ed Voyles in Chamblee the salesman was pretty honest and knew a decent bit. He expected the Telluride on lot this week or next, but still had no solid date on the EV.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 PM

I talked to Curtis at Ed Voyles on Peachtree Ind. The first guy was on Satellite. We'll probably look at the Kona, too. In EV and PHEV.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:20 PM

Always good to shop around. But I'm not liking what I hear about the Kona. More cramped than the Niro but the deal killer for me would be the huge increase in road noise. If you have the time, hang around a few more months and cross shop the Soul. Not sure when it is coming though.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphawk88 View Post
Has anyone heard anything regarding the Niro EV sales date? I visited a dealer in Atlanta this afternoon, and per one of the salesmen there are Niro EV's currently sitting at port (likely Charleston, SC), however none of the dealerships have gotten word as to when to expect "official" sales or reception of the vehicles to begin. After test driving the PHEV versions of the Kona and Niro, I am just about sold on the Niro notwithstanding unexpected scathing user reviews (in general both have gotten pretty good reviews thus far; Niro wins for me due to just enough size overall).

On that note, the salesman mentioned something about the PHEV models having issues with level 3 charging? Has anyone had/heard of this problem? I am assuming the PHEV is not accounting for the heat associated with that level of power, whereas the EV model has a liquid cooling system in place to account for this?
Hi, new member today. I just talked to a dealer in OR today; he checked on Tuesday and couldn't find any NiroEVs in any port yet. He thinks they may come to LA, San Fran first. I forgot why he said he thought they were getting close to a port, but the first ones are likely to be offloaded fairly soon.

I'm like you, pretty much convinced the the Niro EV is the right one for me, but keep researching, evaluating. We'll see when they get here.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I talked to Curtis at Ed Voyles on Peachtree Ind. The first guy was on Satellite. We'll probably look at the Kona, too. In EV and PHEV.
I think I lost the guy's card I spoke with there, but don't think it was Curtis. We test drove a PHEV with him and checked out the grey and blue color options on other Niros on the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Always good to shop around. But I'm not liking what I hear about the Kona. More cramped than the Niro but the deal killer for me would be the huge increase in road noise. If you have the time, hang around a few more months and cross shop the Soul. Not sure when it is coming though.
That's about my conclusion, plus I like the Niro look in general better (unique day running lights especially on the EV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankev View Post
Hi, new member today. I just talked to a dealer in OR today; he checked on Tuesday and couldn't find any NiroEVs in any port yet. He thinks they may come to LA, San Fran first. I forgot why he said he thought they were getting close to a port, but the first ones are likely to be offloaded fairly soon.

I'm like you, pretty much convinced the the Niro EV is the right one for me, but keep researching, evaluating. We'll see when they get here.
the major ports near Atlanta for vehicles are Charleston SC and Brunswick GA, which would take longer for vehicles to reach comparatively. I'm assuming the new Kia plant would export from Charleston, and Kia likely import from the same. Regardless I took tomorrow off, so I'm good with it waiting another week so I don't miss them at the dealer!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:36 PM

BEV in GA

As Georgia is one of the 12 states to get the Niro BEV, I just happen to be traveling through GA and thought I would see what was available. Plus, I had not seen the pricing yet. I was surprised to find at least 6 (I didn’t count) by using the Adairsville zip code on Kia’s search site.
I was immediately depressed by the price. Guess that is why they have so many. I have a PHEV EX Premium and it looks like the BEV EX Premium version is $10k more expensive. So, immediately not justified. However, if you compare EX models, it might make more sense, especially with the Federal $7500 tax credit.
However, I think the big issue is the Tesla M3 SR/SR+, which is a much more desirable car than the eNiro IMHO. I am not enamored with Tesla, and it really pains me to think the scales are at least slightly tipped in Tesla’s favor. If Tesla could iron out their issues and become a “real” car company, it would be an absolute no brainer.
With a lot of competition supposedly coming in the next 18 months, perhaps it would be best to wait and not get either at the $40-50k price point.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page