Niro EV Availability - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Niro EV Availability

Has anyone heard anything regarding the Niro EV sales date? I visited a dealer in Atlanta this afternoon, and per one of the salesmen there are Niro EV's currently sitting at port (likely Charleston, SC), however none of the dealerships have gotten word as to when to expect "official" sales or reception of the vehicles to begin. After test driving the PHEV versions of the Kona and Niro, I am just about sold on the Niro notwithstanding unexpected scathing user reviews (in general both have gotten pretty good reviews thus far; Niro wins for me due to just enough size overall).

On that note, the salesman mentioned something about the PHEV models having issues with level 3 charging? Has anyone had/heard of this problem? I am assuming the PHEV is not accounting for the heat associated with that level of power, whereas the EV model has a liquid cooling system in place to account for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphawk88 View Post
On that note, the salesman mentioned something about the PHEV models having issues with level 3 charging? Has anyone had/heard of this problem? I am assuming the PHEV is not accounting for the heat associated with that level of power, whereas the EV model has a liquid cooling system in place to account for this?
The PHEV doesn't support Level 3 at all, just Levels 1 and 2. The only issue that causes is if you run into a charger that doesn't have the Level 2 connector. That's happened to me twice in the year since we've owned the car.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Only the BEV has DC fast charging - which is sometimes called Level 3 (had to Google it). The PHEV is air cooled, and so would have an issue with fast charging.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Has anyone heard anything regarding the Niro EV sales date? I visited a dealer in Atlanta this afternoon, and per one of the salesmen there are Niro EV's currently sitting at port (likely Charleston, SC), however none of the dealerships have gotten word as to when to expect "official" sales or reception of the vehicles to begin. After test driving the PHEV versions of the Kona and Niro, I am just about sold on the Niro notwithstanding unexpected scathing user reviews (in general both have gotten pretty good reviews thus far; Niro wins for me due to just enough size overall).
Hi sphawk88, Welcome to the forum!

As per date of delivery for the EV's versions, press release talks for April-May, But since the battery production issue in Korea, it would probably be more like this summer!..

Quick advise, please do not take for granted what salesman tell you sometimes..

** Test drive of the PHEV Kona ? ... there are only 2 models of the Kona: Kona and the Kona Electric.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Kia US is claiming February release. Having cars already in Charleston would seem to back that up.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Kia US is claiming February release. Having cars already in Charleston would seem to back that up.

Hey,!! you maybee right Mate.!
As of Kia (Canada or US) they should of been here since last October.!

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Quote:
Hi sphawk88, Welcome to the forum!

As per date of delivery for the EV's versions, press release talks for April-May, But since the battery production issue in Korea, it would probably be more like this summer!..

Quick advise, please do not take for granted what salesman tell you sometimes..

** Test drive of the PHEV Kona ? ... there are only 2 models of the Kona: Kona and the Kona Electric.
yep I misspoke - I test drive the combustion kona only to compare it's top options and size (all of which I prefer the niro, even the gimmicky heads up display I found more annoying than helpful). as for the vehicles at port, I was somewhat surprised at the offhand comment, and that would line up with what I have observed working in the transportation industry (tesla still confuses me not using any rail transportation).

as for the release date, I have only seen press releases, news, and review articles state a targeted end of February release date, with the stipulation Kia is not anticipating the EV to be a mass produced vehicle. My purchase timing will likely be towards the summer or fall hopefully.

with that in mind, does anyone know the best route to get any type of MSRP reduction? My only hope is Costco will offer this through their vehicle discount program?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:59 PM

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
It looks like the Niro BEV is likely to be in short supply for quite sometime in the future if the news that the 900 units allocated for the UK are all sold! https://insideevs.com/kia-niro-ev-e-niro-sold-out-uk/

Any of you out there in the Pacific NW who have a Niro PHEV EX Premium that are looking to upgrade to the BEV, let me know. I may be interested in your PHEV
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
It looks like the Niro BEV is likely to be in short supply for quite sometime in the future if the news that the 900 units allocated for the UK are all sold!
They must be all sold out everywhere..

The main problem is with the battery provider LG that cannot hold the demand.!

"Some say that the problem is in limited battery supplies. The worst thing is that the restraining factor is expected to remain for at least 12-18 more months, which must be frustrating for such an excellent car."
If that is true!.. i have one word: OUCH !!!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
It looks like the Niro BEV is likely to be in short supply for quite sometime in the future if the news that the 900 units allocated for the UK are all sold!
They must be all sold out everywhere..

The main problem is with the battery provider LG that cannot hold the demand.!

"Some say that the problem is in limited battery supplies. The worst thing is that the restraining factor is expected to remain for at least 12-18 more months, which must be frustrating for such an excellent car."
If that is true!.. i have one word: OUCH !!!
allocation to the UK isn't exactly paramount to Kia selling EV's in the US. From a business perspective, I am anticipating Kia will commit to sell more EV's in the US to "get the ball rolling", on top of an unknown US electric vehicle subsidy being axed depending on politics. interestingly parallel to your concerns, SK Innovations starts construction of its U.S. battery factory down the road from me in Atlanta this quarter, which I assume will be shipped/used in a future production line at the factory which is currently producing the telluride in GA?

regardless of UK sales, I suppose we shall see when units arrive on US lots shortly if the Kia press release holds water.
lafe005 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page