How to silence beep when locking or unlocking doors - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Glenn
  • 1 Post By atc98092

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

How to silence beep when locking or unlocking doors

I hate the beep when I lock/unlock doors. I found a thread here describing how to unplug the beep maker under the hood. The beeping device is green in color. Located at the Left front corner,near headlight assembly. It's mounted below the orange hood open switch and the diagnostic port.

I unplugged the green noise maker and then loosely reinstalled the plug so as not to make an electrical connection but to keep the connection kind of water tight. I suppose you could put some dielectric grease in the unused plug end to keep it corrosion free.

I Have a 2019 niro plug in, in case it makes a difference.
teletype likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Thanks for this. This is a huge pet peeve of mine - though not as much as honking when unlocking/locking the doors, I always end up slamming on my brakes in parking lots because I think I'm about to hit someone.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 AM

Thanks from me too. Just took a few seconds to do it myself. I don't think corrosion will be an issue, unless you live near salt water of course.

I hate the chirps too, and not crazy about the flashing lights attracting attention either. The electric locks make enough noise to let you know they did their thing. Interestingly, when I closed my hood after disconnecting the cable, the lights flashed. How useless!

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't mind the lights flashing when I lock it. Just helps confirm it worked. But I hate the flashers coming on if I use remote access to pre-condition the interior temperature. I wish those could be disabled.
lafe005 likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:46 PM

So being a hybrid you have the possibility of leaving the car running and walking away without this beep. If you're bad about doing this don't unplug this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:09 PM

Great point! I'm OK personally I think.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxterra View Post
So being a hybrid you have the possibility of leaving the car running and walking away without this beep. If you're bad about doing this don't unplug this.
Not really. It won't lock if you don't turn the vehicle off. As others have said, the lights still flash and you can still hear the lock mechanism.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Can't speak to the hybrid, but on my PHEV if I exit the car and close the door with the car energized (can't really say "running"), and there's no key fob in the car, a long tone is heard. Not super loud, but you can't miss it. It will stop after about 10 seconds or so, but not really possible to leave the car and leave it on unknowingly. There's times I do it intentionally, for example someone is still in the car so I want the AC to be running. I can ether leave the fob in the car (a pain to get it out of my pocket then return it when I return) or just let it beep. I usually let it beep.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

That is the alarm Jaxterra mentioned. What I didn't think of is that is a darned important alarm for those who forget to turn car off and have an enclosed garage. Lot of people have died from keyless cars left running. Assume regulators will require a hard turn off that is a timed function (like ten minutes) on future cars. (I'm still OK with mine disconnected).

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:27 AM

Yeah it may have a set time or something it turns off I didn't do that test all I know is I got out of the car and walked back in the house for something and there was no beep telling me it was on but I still like it unplugged.