For you with over 15,000 miles - any problems at all? - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 86
For you with over 15,000 miles - any problems at all?

Still lurking and learning here. I've had a Silky Gray Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR in my sights for almost 2 months -- just waiting for Kia to brings back the 0% financing and a rebate before pulling the trigger.

BUT... as I lurk here I'm seeing a small, yet alarming number of Niros with over 20,000 miles having a "Hybrid System Failure". I know an owner here in Seattle (not on this forum) with a 2017 PHEV that had HSF just over 24K. His car has been at the dealer for over two months! There are a few other similar examples on this forum. I know Niros are a new, low volume model so dealers are don't have a lot of experience nor are there a lot of spare parts. None- the less, that is totally ridiculous!!!

On the other side of the ledger is Gbilly with over 100K trouble free miles!!

So I would love to hear from all of you with 10,000+ miles on your Niro. Please share your model (HEV or PHEV), current mileage, AND whether or not you have had any problem that disabled your car for more than 2 days. If so, what was the issue and how long did it take to resolve? THANKS ALL!

PS:I took a quick look at the Ionqic forum and did not find any reports of HSF despite the propulsion and computer systems being the same as far as I can determine.
Dovidan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
So I would love to hear from all of you with 10,000+ miles on your Niro. Please share your model (HEV or PHEV), current mileage, AND whether or not you have had any problem that disabled your car for more than 2 days. If so, what was the issue and how long did it take to resolve? THANKS ALL!

23,530 miles here. 2018 EX Premium PHEV. No real problems so far and we love the car. I have seen some minor glitches now and then, but nothing to really complain about and nothing I would say is out of the ordinary.
  • Once or twice the infotainment screen has gone black and required turning the car off and on again to reset.
  • Maybe three times after fully charging the car at a Level 2 charger I've gotten a "Check Hybrid System" message on startup. That too clears by simply turning the car off and on again. I wonder if that's an issue with starting the car immediately after it's just finished charging.
Other than that we've had no issues at all. I've done 2 oil changes (plus one at the dealer at 22,500 when I had them do the clutch fluid service). MPG is tricky to define in a PHEV, but on long trips we're getting ~50mpg highway which is pretty darn good. I can commute 2 days on a single charge so I can go weeks without using much if any fuel. Overall I'm extremely happy with the Niro and would strongly consider buying an EV version if my VW TDI ever needs replacing.
Dovidan likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
jmurphEV is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 290
32,000 trouble free miles on my HEV. Never even seen the insides of a dealer service bay.
3 oil changes, due for the 4th...all in my garage. Its stupid simple.

Added a hitch and tow a small trailer on weekends to haul building materials to my hunting land.
I have roof racks and haul a large fishing kayak to a local lake when I can.
No problems towing or hauling.

Average of around 44 MPG with a Touring Launch Edition, right at EPA estimate.

I have taken it on a 1200 mile weekend trip and it was perfectly comfortable.
Other than being a smashed bug magnet, I do like this vehicle.
Dovidan likes this.
Griswald is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 241
[QUOTE=jmurphEV;69841]
...
  • Once or twice the infotainment screen has gone black and required turning the car off and on again to reset.
...


There's a recent TSB on the NHTSA web site for the black screen issue, perhaps its the issue you experienced, perhaps not. This link may or may not work for you: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...52900-9999.pdf If it doesn't work, go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle, enter model and year, and then click on "Manufacturer Communications". It's currently the fourth listing from the top (of 36 total).


I'm still way below the OP's request for reports from 15k+, but I'm very much enamored with my 2018 PHEV
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
deltasmith is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
There's a recent TSB on the NHTSA web site for the black screen issue, perhaps its the issue you experienced, perhaps not. This link may or may not work for you: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...52900-9999.pdf If it doesn't work, go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle, enter model and year, and then click on "Manufacturer Communications". It's currently the fourth listing from the top (of 36 total).
Interesting. I checked the version on my PHEV and mine is even older than the one listed in the TSB. Makes sense given that the TSB date is December 2018 and we picked ours up in April. Sees like they've gone through a bunch of revisions since then.

Not sure it's worth a trip to the dealer just for that, maybe in another 20k miles when I have them change the clutch fluid again.

Thanks for info.

Jim
Southern Maryland
jmurphEV is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Daytona Beach, Fl.
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Interesting. I checked the version on my PHEV and mine is even older than the one listed in the TSB. Makes sense given that the TSB date is December 2018 and we picked ours up in April. Sees like they've gone through a bunch of revisions since then.

Not sure it's worth a trip to the dealer just for that, maybe in another 20k miles when I have them change the clutch fluid again.

Thanks for info.
Hey jmurphEV I'm just curious......How much did they charge you to change the Clutch fluid? Do you know how long it took them to do it?

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
FlNiro is online now  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,423
20,000 on my HEV, zero issues. 52 mpg over the course of one four season year.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
yticolev is online now  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
Hey jmurphEV I'm just curious......How much did they charge you to change the Clutch fluid? Do you know how long it took them to do it?
I'd have to check the receipt, which I'll do when I get back home. I think it was around $250 or so and took about an hour.

Jim
Southern Maryland
jmurphEV is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Daytona Beach, Fl.
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
I'd have to check the receipt, which I'll do when I get back home. I think it was around $250 or so and took about an hour.
WOW That seems like a lot. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to make sure I quiz my dealer good before I get it done. Thanks!

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
FlNiro is online now  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 184
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
WOW That seems like a lot. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to make sure I quiz my dealer good before I get it done. Thanks!
That's what I get for relying on memory. I checked the receipt and the total cost for the clutch fluid change was $160. $20 for the fluid (DOT 4 brake fluid as it happens) and $140 for the labor. Not cheap, but based on some posts around here not something I could realistically do myself as there is an adaptation procedure that requires the factory service software tool.

Jim
Southern Maryland
jmurphEV is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missing EV miles on PHEV lafe005 Kia Niro General Discussion 4 02-18-2019 04:43 PM
PHEV - What happens when 0 miles left of gas? gardavis Kia Niro MPG And Fuel Economy 9 12-24-2018 08:33 PM
New member, 2500 miles on 2018 PHEV aak New Member Introductions 5 08-29-2018 03:28 PM
Plug-in range: 24 miles? MRS Kia Niro General Discussion 5 06-13-2018 08:47 AM
MPG Report for 1477 miles PAULRIDES Kia Niro MPG And Fuel Economy 43 06-27-2017 08:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome