Charging your Niro PHEV when outside on a raod trip - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
More out of curiosity. If your hotel did offer you free charging for your vehicle, but the charging stations were at the far end of the propery rather than right beside the building where you say, would you still use them?
Yes, I would use it. The standard plug that Hotel's manager offered me to plug-in was at the opposite location of my room, and I went there to try and came back to my room after realizing that the plug was not reliable enough.
I fully understand the question, but I'm not lazy and I accept to walk to the far end of the parking to find the plug if it's there

If I go to Monterey, it is (like SF) because I can park my car and walk the rest of the weekend (I usually walk ~10 miles around in the day).
The hopping with the car is just to optimize my walk around the light-house on all the coast and then driving back to Monterey's downtown to walk around the pier up to the cannery rows in the same day.

Kia Niro PHEV 2019 Gravity Blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
More out of curiosity. If your hotel did offer you free charging for your vehicle, but the charging stations were at the far end of the propery rather than right beside the building where you say, would you still use them?
I would, no problem. One of the few times I was able to use a public charger while out and about I ended up parking ~2 blocks from my destination just to be able to use the charger. I love maximizing my EV usage and am willing to walk a little farther to be able to do it.
padonion likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for responding. I know when I have talked with hotel management, their concern was disruption to the hotel as construction running new ports and parts near the building can cost more in lost revenue than the cost of the install.

Another thought that I had.. Most hotels now use the plastic cards to get into the rooms. Those could also be used to enable a charger outside. Now it is apparent that cars charge at different speeds and people will plug in a car and walk off leaving the car plugged in but have no way to know when it is charged. The charging point then becomes a parking space and no other user can charge their car. But if you tag the charger use to an actual room key, then you gain the ability to notify. The hotel could send you an SMS message letting you know your car is charged. It could be that you get to the hotel and all the ports are in use, so not you can get informed when a plug is free so that you can get your turn. If you get people who just want to plug and walk away, there could be a charge penalty for leaving you car plugged in but not charging to help co-operation between multiple customers needing to use a limited resource.

I think it is discussions like this that hotel owners need to think about to monetize the cost of adding charge stations so they work not just now but going forward when electric becomes more of the norm.
TK6 and padonion like this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for responding. I know when I have talked with hotel management, their concern was disruption to the hotel as construction running new ports and parts near the building can cost more in lost revenue than the cost of the install.

Another thought that I had.. Most hotels now use the plastic cards to get into the rooms. Those could also be used to enable a charger outside. Now it is apparent that cars charge at different speeds and people will plug in a car and walk off leaving the car plugged in but have no way to know when it is charged. The charging point then becomes a parking space and no other user can charge their car. But if you tag the charger use to an actual room key, then you gain the ability to notify. The hotel could send you an SMS message letting you know your car is charged. It could be that you get to the hotel and all the ports are in use, so not you can get informed when a plug is free so that you can get your turn. If you get people who just want to plug and walk away, there could be a charge penalty for leaving you car plugged in but not charging to help co-operation between multiple customers needing to use a limited resource.

I think it is discussions like this that hotel owners need to think about to monetize the cost of adding charge stations so they work not just now but going forward when electric becomes more of the norm.
Even easier, if the hotel installs a charger like those managed by ChargePoint then the app will notify you when your car is completely charged. The charger can be configured to continue billing after the charging cycle is complete to discourage squatting.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Even easier, if the hotel installs a charger like those managed by ChargePoint then the app will notify you when your car is completely charged. The charger can be configured to continue billing after the charging cycle is complete to discourage squatting.
Another idea would be to always put charger between 2 parking spots.
This way you allow temporary overlapping during switching without blocking a charger for nothing.

Concerning an app like ChargePoint, this has pros and cons. The main cons I see is that each network tends to have its own app, ending up with dozens apps installed just for charging network
I think that it is also up to the user's responsibility to look at the charging time estimation and go back to your car when it is done (you can even use your UVO status to check if you are not sure).

At anytime, the Hotel's desk would be aware of who is the last to check his card on the charger and whose car it is in case of problem.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 PM

I charge every place I can. I find in Northern California north of SF a plethora of charging locations. I find a blend of free and cost effective locations that I’m averaging less than a $1 for a full charge from close to 0 miles EV. The important thing for me is this blend is environmentally motivated. I’m finding in my almost 3 months and 4,500+ miles that my fuel costs have decreased significantly. My average mpg blended exceeds 100 mi per gallon. I find chargers at all kinds of office buildings and schools and professional and medical buildings. I use almost all the apps to correlate the locations available. You just need to be looking and reporting when you find them. PlugShare and ChargePoint are the most widespread in this area of Northern California.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:29 PM

FWIW, Tesla provides FREE destination chargers to hotels and restaurants.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookrd1 View Post
FWIW, Tesla provides FREE destination chargers to hotels and restaurants.
Hi,
I verified on Tesla website and yes, they provide FREE destination chargers but most of them are Tesla plug .. and we can't use these.
Therefore, once again, Tesla plays solo where other ones try to play generic and Tesla's drivers get Tesla AND generic chargers.

Christophe.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Mal

In my neck of the woods, SW VA, plug in vehicles are very rare. Gas is cheap, $2.43, and so is electricity, $.11 KWH. Tesla has a supercharger (5) close but I've never seen even 1 car there.

Though I mostly charge at home, I have become bolder just plugging in to a 120v outlet when I can. More are available than I thought. Most all parking lot lights are equipped with 120v outlets and though most have covers over them, some don't. Many hotels have outdoor plugs. Bottom line, though is that there is very little dedicated infrastructure for BEV or PIHEV's in this area. At $.99 and 7 hrs for a full charge, I don't feel bad just plugging in when I can but that's not often.

If we were serious about renewable energy, there would be one standard and businesses would make it a part of their business to provide charging. Tesla seems the only company serious about renewable energy. I applaud them but can't afford them in $'s and range.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page