Tire Noise Reduction on PHEV - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:39 PM

My husband has a Ford Fusion Energi and complains that my Niro PHEV is louder. It probably is, but I find it more comfortable and he can barely fit one carry on suitcase in his trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:01 PM

I accept the little bit of extra road noise from my PHEV's tires, especially when driving in EV mode when it's more noticeable. It's my PHEV's way of reminding me I'm saving money.
FlNiro likes this.

2018 Niro EX PHEV- Aurora Black Pearl/Charcoal
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
I changed away from the Michelin Energy Saver tires on my Fusion and lost 2 mpg immediately.

Noisy or not, they are the best eco tires available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
My husband has a Ford Fusion Energi and complains that my Niro PHEV is louder. It probably is, but I find it more comfortable and he can barely fit one carry on suitcase in his trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
I accept the little bit of extra road noise from my PHEV's tires, especially when driving in EV mode when it's more noticeable. It's my PHEV's way of reminding me I'm saving money.
The tire I'm comparing them to has very similar rolling resistance scores in consumer reports testing, but I am willing to accept a bit of reduced range, since I drive 100% of my city miles on EV. On the better roads I don't mind, but there are a lot of cruddy roads in NM, plus I'm looking for a better tire compound. My Michelin Energy Saver A/S that came stock are showing dry rot already and perhaps they won't be safe to drive on after this summer sadly. I showed the progression of the cracks in between the lugs on the tread face to a couple of my techs at work and they agree that I need to do something by winter. I like the mileage, wet and dry grip, and noise level on smooth roads, but not the noise level on poorly paved or dirt roads, dry rot, snow, or ice traction.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 AM

on the spanish niro forum one user swaped for Goodyear Eagle f1 asymetric and he is very happy with the reduction of noise and comfort improvement...

In my opinion, the michelin pilot sport 4 we have over here on the 18" wheels is a high perfs sporty tire that in my opinion has nothing to do on a low power hybrid car (overkill) that is made for relax/soft driving.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:35 AM

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have you seen a Michelin green tire that is not on a rim or alloy wheel ? .. it's so smooth and floppy like folding a rubber mat.. not hard like the normal tires.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Next thing we are going to see here is a whole load of posts about how some oil change, or new air freshener install has ruined the MPG of their Niro. And after a whole lot of back and forth about it, it will come to light that they changed their tires and now are getting far worse fuel economy. I know that in a few years I will be changing mine and I also know that my fuel consumption will be directly effected. I am planning as I live up north to go towards a Nokian WR4 all weather tire as half of my year here is winter and I can't be bothered to change tires twice a year.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:53 PM

well yes and a lot of reports will be based on ...nothing as between the good and the bad tire (in UE they are classified between A and G) there is about 0.6l/100km diference of consuption, difference largely smaler than the difference of consuption between cold/average/hot weather with use of AC or heating, the simple fact that you drive a little smaller or little faster can make more diference than that, the tire inflation, density of circulation, ...
All these elements combined makes the 0.5l/100 diference due to tires very hard to notice unless you believe any diference is due to tires and then under worst conditions some people will say that because of their tires they consume 40% more

Last edited by Roadkill401; 06-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
For me, a person that want a X Tire brand name on their car is a personnal choice. like a gas brand, oil brand, the consumer needs to get all the facts before buying it. If the person changes a thin that can affect either their MPG or the vehicule itself, in my book, you're stuck with it and like say's @Roadkill401 , dont come and complain after.!!

I like the original Michelin "X Green" tires that come's with the car. They are great for the summer, and for our north winters, a good snow and ice tire's from december to march.

I have no choice, the law here tells me to change them twice a year!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lafe005; 06-08-2019 at 12:49 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 AM

I am including a link to an article on the future of tires and a solution to tire noise.
The 1st part of the article is about a potential new tire/ wheel from Michelin called a Tweel with a neat video.
The 2nd part of the article talks about a new tire that is actually available from Bridgestone now that eliminates road noise.

I though you might enjoy reading and watching the information in the article
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/06...m-bridgestone/
FlNiro likes this.