Tire Noise Reduction on PHEV - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

The interesting part about he Tweel is it reminds me of something I saw on YouTube about a guy who was fixing up a Rolls Royce and there were these special wheels on them that were Michelin PAX I believe. they were an airless tire, and the biggest problem with them was that when the tire was worn, there is virtually no way to get them off the rim short of trying to cut the whole wheel off. The tire came standard on only a few cars in North America and was quickly dropped. As no tire shop bought into the technology it left original owners high and dry when tires needed to be replaced.
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
Next thing we are going to see here is a whole load of posts about how some oil change, or new air freshener install has ruined the MPG of their Niro. And after a whole lot of back and forth about it, it will come to light that they changed their tires and now are getting far worse fuel economy. I know that in a few years I will be changing mine and I also know that my fuel consumption will be directly effected. I am planning as I live up north to go towards a Nokian WR4 all weather tire as half of my year here is winter and I can't be bothered to change tires twice a year.
Working at a dealership and selling more Niros than any other salesman in my region, yes, I hear that crap. I had a customer convinced that rotating their tires ruined the mileage and made their car smell bad. We took it on our test loop and got well within the normal range for their year, trim, and equipment (49 combined for 17 EX), and they were still unconvinced. No smell at all, except the huge amount of weed they smoked in it.
Johnxyz and Lee Williams like this.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
Working at a dealership and selling more Niros than any other salesman in my region, yes, I hear that crap. I had a customer convinced that rotating their tires ruined the mileage and made their car smell bad. We took it on our test loop and got well within the normal range for their year, trim, and equipment (49 combined for 17 EX), and they were still unconvinced. No smell at all, except the huge amount of weed they smoked in it.
I can only imagine some of the stories and situations you guys must deal with at the dealerships. It would be fascinating to hear some of them.
Dovidan likes this.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:26 PM

One thing about those "Tweel" tires is that they made no efficiency claims. For good reason! They will not do as well as any pneumatic tire (outside of knobby off-road tires) much less tires designed for efficiency.

Comfort claims are difficult for me to believe. For decades, airless tires have come out on a regular basis for bicycles, and everyone has been notably harder to pedal and are less comfortable.

The article talks about how quiet they are, due to tread design. That could be done just as easily to any pneumatic tire as well.
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
You could also consider the Pirelli P7 Cinturato. It has an almost cult-like following in the Volt/Bolt community as a very good LRR tire. I bought them for my wife's Mazda CX-5 and we instantly saw a 2 mpg increase in efficiency. I think they are very quiet on the highway and smooth out the bumps well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...autoModClar=FE
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
Pirelli P7 Cinturato appears to be a wonderful tire for those who live in dry areas. Not so much if you live where it rains frequently according to Tire Rack:
<<Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: The most luxurious ride and sound quality of the test.
What We'd Improve: A big increase in wet grip is a must.
Conclusion: A refined option for when rain is not in the forecast.>>

If I ditch my Subie Outback for a Niro PHEV I'll shoe it with Michelin Crossclimate + for the climate here in the PNW
Michelin CrossClimate+ (Grand Touring All-Season, 225/50R17 98V)
What We Liked: Very strong wet performance and very capable on the track.
What We'd Improve: Noticeable tread growl, especially at low speeds. The ride was just a little firm for a touring tire.
Conclusion: Category-leading dry and wet traction in warm weather, and it's severe snow service-rated.

Also, according to Tire Rack user reviews & Consumer's Reports, it has very low rolling resistance and doesn't impact MPG too much. The OEM Michelins on the Niro is not a bad tire, just not the best overall except for LRR.

I'll gladly give up 1-2 mpg for a tire that will stop in 30 less feet at 50 mph on wet road!
Lee Williams likes this.

Last edited by Dovidan; 06-18-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: had more to say
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverFlash View Post
You could also consider the Pirelli P7 Cinturato. It has an almost cult-like following in the Volt/Bolt community as a very good LRR tire. I bought them for my wife's Mazda CX-5 and we instantly saw a 2 mpg increase in efficiency. I think they are very quiet on the highway and smooth out the bumps well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...autoModClar=FE

Seem's like a good tire replacement!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Pirelli P7 Cinturato appears to be a wonderful tire for those who live in dry areas. Not so much if you live where it rains frequently according to Tire Rack:
<<Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: The most luxurious ride and sound quality of the test.
What We'd Improve: A big increase in wet grip is a must.
Conclusion: A refined option for when rain is not in the forecast.>>
I wonder what type of car this reviewer installed it on?

We've put about 10,000 miles on the P7's we bought for my wife's CX-5. It's been a deluge of rain in East TN over the last month and a half. I haven't had any issues with wet traction. Note: Our CX-5 is FWD only, not AWD.
Lee Williams likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:44 PM

Location: Seattle WA. No Niro yet but PHEV likely in my future
He Michael, we've missed you here on the Niro forum for the past few months. Still got your Niro PHEV? Did you ever swap your OEM tires for the TrueContact Touring tires. IF so, what was the result? Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page