Tire Noise Reduction on PHEV - Kia Niro Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Since I got my Niro PHEV, I've found that the tire noise is the loudest thing in the car in town and on the highway. At 40 mph, the z weighted noise (measuring low frequency sounds transmitted through the tires and suspension into the vehicle) averages 71 dB. The A weighted noise at the same speed is just 55dB, so wind noise isn't really an issue at all. I'm measuring the noise levels with the "Sound Analyzer" app by Dominique Rodrigues off the google play store. I calibrated the app with the background procedure, and I've record several sound files, averaging them out.

I'm considering replacing the stock Michelin Energy Saver A/S with Continental TrueContact Tour tires. Tire Rack's noise comfort rating is an 8.02 for TrueContact which also performs well in snow, ice, and handling, which considering I'm going to move back to Colorado, are really important.

Does anybody already have these tires? Would you be willing to give me a calibrated sounds reading?
Dovidan and deroby like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Be curious about the results myself. I too have noticed tire noise is the most significant interior noise. Not excessive, but dropping a few dB would be of value.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:07 PM

I'd be interested in the results myself. I've not noticed it around town though, just on the highway. I've noticed it gets louder on concrete vs. asphalt. I noticed it when the pavement changes from asphalt to concrete the noise increases when you going the same speed.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Also I've noticed that the noise is less when the trunk is filled with luggage. Notice this when we go on trips so it makes me think you hear the rear tires more.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:14 PM

More road noise is definitely coming from the rear. These tires are not that noisy, but yes, you can probably get quieter ones, especially if you don't go for the economy ones. Soundproofing is better, but difficult. Some owners report just having the pullout cargo cover deployed helps. Some find a cargo mat helps.
FlNiro and dleffingwell like this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlNiro View Post
I'd be interested in the results myself. I've not noticed it around town though, just on the highway. I've noticed it gets louder on concrete vs. asphalt. I noticed it when the pavement changes from asphalt to concrete the noise increases when you going the same speed.
Yes, new asphalt can be very quiet, but once it's aged for a few years it's much closer to concrete. And of course it depends on the way they surfaced the concrete when it was poured.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
More road noise is definitely coming from the rear. These tires are not that noisy, but yes, you can probably get quieter ones, especially if you don't go for the economy ones. Soundproofing is better, but difficult. Some owners report just having the pullout cargo cover deployed helps. Some find a cargo mat helps.
I have both the cargo mat and cover, which I keep deployed at all times. The biggest thing is that New Mexico has crappy roads. Even on a smooth road at 40, my lowest observed is 68.1 dBz.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 PM

Garage
Maybe it's just me, but my Niro is by FAR the quietest car I've ever had. Cabin noise is pretty low on my list of complaints. I couldn't imagine being bothered by it so much that it justifies a new set of tires, but to each their own.

2018 PHEV
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Maybe it's just me, but my Niro is by FAR the quietest car I've ever had. Cabin noise is pretty low on my list of complaints. I couldn't imagine being bothered by it so much that it justifies a new set of tires, but to each their own.
Come drive in New Mexico, and you'll see what I'm talking about.it wasn't as bad when I was driving through Portland on a road trip last year, but it's definitely really bad on all of the lovely, beautiful roads we have here in Albuquerque.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:37 PM

I changed away from the Michelin Energy Saver tires on my Fusion and lost 2 mpg immediately.

Noisy or not, they are the best eco tires available.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page