Oil changes/fuel additives for ICE in PHEV? - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Mal

I suspect that the right interval for the PHEV should be based on gallons of gas burned. Something like 46 mpg over 7500 miles for conventional oils or 10,000 miles for synthetics. I have no choice but 7500 miles.........period, under warranty but will go to 200 gallons burned or 1 year after the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I suspect that the right interval for the PHEV should be based on gallons of gas burned. Something like 46 mpg over 7500 miles for conventional oils or 10,000 miles for synthetics. I have no choice but 7500 miles.........period, under warranty but will go to 200 gallons burned or 1 year after the warranty.
The Volt bases oil changes strictly on the gas miles racked up. The manufacturer recommendation is once every 24 months unless the car tells you to do it sooner. I wish the Niro PHEV followed the same system. There's no need to change the same 0w-20 oil in the Niro at 6mo or 7500 miles if you only have 4500 miles on the gas engine in that time frame.
drewesque likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:58 PM

oil changes

Like others I just don't put many miles on my car (maybe 6K per year) and very few in hybrid mode. Yet I will likely follow the every 6-month requirement to keep my warranty clear. I really think it total overkill. I think an annual oil change would be more than enough to keep the lubricant in shape. I will spend more on oil changes than on gasoline.

I've always believed it is good to occasionally run an ICE at higher RPM for extended periods, like highway driving. So maybe I will try to work that in.

Robert

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page